Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would You Be Okay If
We went into the draft with our TE depth chart:

1. Drew Sample
2. Mitch Wilcox
3. Thaddeus Moss
4. Scotty Washington

Along with maybe one no-name signing? I mean, so long as we draft one, or scoop up somebody during the wave of camp/preseason cuts, I'm okay with it. Moss was Burrow's college teammate, and played well, so there is some chemistry. And Sample could be in line for a Dalton Schultz-style 4th year breakout if he's given more snaps. Even if not, he's one of the better (even if not elite) blocking TEs. The TE isn't featured that often in our offense, and with Chase, Higgins, Boyd, and Mixon, he'd be the 4th option most of the time. I'd love McBride if he was BPA, or a Ruckert in the mid-rounds, but I honestly don't think it's the end of the world if we just stand pat at TE and focus on other more pressing needs.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
Don’t know what the hell we’re doing this off-season. Got everyone’s hopes up being aggressive first hour of free agency but total dog shit ever since. We already had holes and creating more. Can’t even release Waynes.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 10:57 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: We went into the draft with our TE depth chart:

1. Drew Sample
2. Mitch Wilcox
3. Thaddeus Moss
4. Scotty Washington

Along with maybe one no-name signing? I mean, so long as we draft one, or scoop up somebody during the wave of camp/preseason cuts, I'm okay with it. Moss was Burrow's college teammate, and played well, so there is some chemistry. And Sample could be in line for a Dalton Schultz-style 4th year breakout if he's given more snaps. Even if not, he's one of the better (even if not elite) blocking TEs. The TE isn't featured that often in our offense, and with Chase, Higgins, Boyd, and Mixon, he'd be the 4th option most of the time. I'd love McBride if he was BPA, or a Ruckert in the mid-rounds, but I honestly don't think it's the end of the world if we just stand pat at TE and focus on other more pressing needs.
I think we will see one come our way on day 3. 
Reply/Quote
Honestly, if the OPs scenario were to arrive, I'd just go heavy 3 wide majority of the time. Feed the ball to RBs as outlet or use Evans as a 4th WR or dare I say, bring in a FB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes, I'd be OK. Thanks for caring.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
If we add another starter or two to the o line and a CB then yeah I’m fine going into the draft like that. We don’t make good enough use of TE’s in the passing game for me to stress over that. I’d also much rather see that money go to use for O line/CB or even DL vs a mediocre TE who we will only get 300-400 yards a year out of.
Reply/Quote
Yes. Full disclosure to the board. I dont care about the TE position.

Burrow goes 5 out alot and id honestly just get more snaps for Tate. Would I love a 6 foot 6 245 pound TE with hands of silk? DUH. But the way Burrow plays I dont think he needs one. I think Moss or an AVERAGE pass catcher will do. And honestly Moss starting and catching passes from Burrow would just make me happy. Idc how good they would actually be, I watched Burrows whole LSU career. I would just love to see Moss starting
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I will also say CJ was REALLY GOOD at getting traffic yards after catches.

Losing him wasnt a HUGE loss, but I do feel the loss will be felt if we dont replace him with someone competent
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:14 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Don’t know what the hell we’re doing this off-season. Got everyone’s hopes up being aggressive first hour of free agency but total dog shit ever since. We already had holes and creating more. Can’t even release Waynes.

Yes TF we can. Wayans hasnt been healthy for 2 years.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Yep I’d be ecstatic. They will get a solid TE in the draft. If they get another lineman like Tretter, Armstead, or Collins they can draft a corner @31 and a DT @ 63 and a great TE at 95. They’ve got an experienced one in Sample and they will have saved almost 8 million. Great budgeting to make room for that additional lineman. Raising the 10 million releasing Waynes and the 8 million savings on Uzomah gets them Armstead.
Reply/Quote
I agree with a lot of the sentiments here. I’d like us to sign JC Tretter for C, a legit RT, get another 3T, two more corners, and perhaps another DE. All much better uses of cap space than a TE. See how the draft falls. I think Sample will be solid (even if not spectacular) if he has to start. The TE just isn’t as important to this offense as it is to others. We can win the weapons we have. And yes, since someone else mentioned it, I would like a fullback too.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
Well then they’d have more money to spend elsewhere, in theory
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 12:45 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Well then they’d have more money to spend elsewhere, in theory

Exactly. I'm not thrilled about the scenario, but it would imply we at least got an average CB and OL.  Also, don't rule out trading a mid round pick for a fringe starter.  
Reply/Quote
Yes. Draft is in May. Training camp is in April. Games don't start until Sept. If Drew Sample is what we think he is and he's the starter in week 1, not so much.
Reply/Quote
Not much different from last years list. I always mostly considered CJ a blocking TE rising up on a team that wasn't really interested in replacing Eifert . . . especially coming off of an Achilles tendon injury after only a game and a half in 2020. Last year surprised me. His cutbacks in the open field was top notch but he wasn't blowing doors off of anybody.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:18 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Honestly, if the OPs scenario were to arrive, I'd just go heavy 3 wide majority of the time. Feed the ball to RBs as outlet or use Evans as a 4th WR or dare I say, bring in a FB.

Yeah, use the same delay KC uses by having the backs engage at the line as if blocking for 1 second and then releasing into an open area underneath.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 05:58 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Not much different from last years list. I always mostly considered CJ a blocking TE rising up on a team that wasn't really interested in replacing Eifert . . . especially coming off of an Achilles tendon injury after only a game and a half in 2020. Last year surprised me. His cutbacks in the open field was top notch but he wasn't blowing doors off of anybody.

He blew the panties off Humphries.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Yeah I'd be okay as long as we continue to add to the oline really just RT as far as I'm concerned and yeah it would nice to add a corner. I would only be upset if we don't add much else and then go TE in rd 2 we have a lot bigger needs than TE in my opinion. This back to the usual Bengals quiet free agency is getting annoying just because we are so close we and a lot of other AFC teams are getting better.

On a side note am I the only one that thinks Buffalo's deal for Von Miller is one of the dumbest this free agency. 6yr 120 million. I mean the dude is football old and there is 0 chance he lives up to that contract. Obviously I'm glad we stay out of free agency moves like this but at the same time when teams are close like we or the Bills are its nice to take a bit of a swing in free agency to get better and I really thought we were starting to do that day one.
Reply/Quote
If we add Tretter and Collins I don’t care if we play Brandon Allen at TE…

Reply/Quote
Come on bengals, do something.

Reply/Quote