Poll: Would you trade Burrow for 5+ years of Belichick
Yes, give me Billy B running the show
No, I'll take the elite QB
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Would You Trade Burrow for Belichick?
Please, please, PLEASE read this before voting or sounding off. I welcome all opinions and participation, but let me clarify a few things first.

1.) Yes, I know this is a completely hypothetical scenario, with zero chance of ever happening. I'm not sure that prevents it from being an interesting topic or debate though.

The crux of the debate is simple enough; Which do you value more: The best QB talent to come out in the last 10 years vs. the best coach/GM of this era, and arguably the best of all-time?

2.) This scenario plays out as equal timelines... Belichick comes signed, sealed and delivered on a 5 year deal, equal to the 4+1 deal 1st rounders see.

3.) Belichick assumes the exact same role here as he has had there. This technically is as Head Coach and Director of Football Operations. What this essentially translates to is he is the GM for all intents and purposes. Outside of contract specifics, he's in charge of everything football related...the players, the staff, the draft, free agency, trades. This does not mean he makes every single decision and doesn't allow for input. It just means he's essentially signs off on it, and he controls those underneath him.

4.) The Brown family retains ownership and controls all operations outside of the team. Sales, marketing, lease agreements, community relationships, etc.

So I hope I've explained this well enough without making it too boring. And if you think it's a stupid debate just for the fact it will never happen, that's cool. I can dig it. All I ask is that you simply move to another thread rather than pollute this one with complaints about the obvious (It won't happen)

I personally think it could be interesting to see how people vote. The most exciting pick we've had in almost 20 years, at the most important position vs. one of the greatest team builders and coaches in all of sports...

So JN, whatcha got, and why???
Reply/Quote
I mean, could you guarantee Billy B wouldn't leave?

I'd rather have both, but I don't see Burrow winning Cincy a Superbowl with the way the organization is run and the way the team is (currently) constructed and headed.

Bill B has a track record.

A successful Burrow career in Cincy is winning a playoff game. I'd be surprised if a Belichick team couldn't do that.
Reply/Quote
What about the first overall pick?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Fwiw, my answer is Grumpy Bill.

As good as Burrow looks to be, I don't think it can be understated just how bad our front office is, nor just how good Belichick is as a team builder and coach.

I'd not only make this deal, but if it meant the Brown family removing themselves from football decisions then I'd include additional compensation. I'd honestly trade our entire draft to have Bill constructing this roster. The guy won 11 games with Matt Cassell at QB so I'll take my chances with Cam, Teddy B or even Andy paired with Belichick until he find his guy.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here. To each their own, but let's see...
Reply/Quote
Nope.

Coaching isn't the problem as much as it is ownership.

Having Billy B here would help, but it wouldn't make Mike Brown spend more on free agency or hire a GM, so it wouldn't substantially change the franchise to have a competent head coach.

Not as much as having an elite QB can, at least (in my opinion).
Reply/Quote
It's a poor hypothetical you are putting up a draft prospect albeit a great one against one of the greatest coaches in NFL History.

A better set would be Joe Burrow or Joe Brady. I'd even let you get away with Joe Burrow or Kyle Shanahan but using Belichick is stacking the deck.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 04:20 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I mean, could you guarantee Billy B wouldn't leave?

I'd rather have both, but I don't see Burrow winning Cincy a Superbowl with the way the organization is run and the way the team is (currently) constructed and headed.

Bill B has a track record.

A successful Burrow career in Cincy is winning a playoff game. I'd be surprised if a Belichick team couldn't do that.

Yes, just for discussion's sake, he's locked in at 5 years of running the entire show. How this bizarro world negotiation came to be is up to you. But he'll be here for at least that long.  Although beyond that is not a given, same as Burro

Bill may retire after 5 years in his early 70s, whereas Burrow may play 10+ here. Or Bill could stay on longer, and Burrow leaves and gets hurt. Beyond the 5 years it's unknown and up to interpretation.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 04:29 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yes, just for discussion's sake, he's locked in at 5 years of running the entire show. How this bizarro world negotiation came to be is up to you. But he'll be here for at least that long.  Although beyond that is not a given, same as Burro

Bill may retire after 5 years in his early 70s, whereas Burrow may play 10+ here. Or Bill could stay on longer, and Burrow leaves and gets hurt. Beyond the 5 years it's unknown and up to interpretation.

I voted Billy B, knowing it won't happen, I'm happy to get Burrow to have something to watch at least.
Reply/Quote
Do we have to keep Andy?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 04:27 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Nope.

Coaching isn't the problem as much as it is ownership.

Having Billy B here would help, but it wouldn't make Mike Brown spend more on free agency or hire a GM, so it wouldn't substantially change the franchise to have a competent head coach.

Not as much as having an elite QB can, at least (in my opinion).

Bill is the GM in this bizzaro world scenario. Same role he is in now, he is here.

Mike, at minimum, needs to spend to the floor. Bill would allocate those dollars. Free agency, drafts, coaching staff...he's running the show. Sales, marketing, lease agreements, those are left for Clown family.
Reply/Quote
Might as well have both, pretty sure Belichick would want that as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 04:23 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: What about the first overall pick?

I'm not sure I follow.  Burrow would still be the #1 pick in this scenario, which would be traded for the rights to Bill Belichick. An agreed upon 5 year deal to be our coach and GM would already be in place prior to completion.

So you'd be starting at the #33 pick and so on.... The #1 pick was used on Heisman Joey B.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 04:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do we have to keep Andy?

Probably a very good chance he would, but you'd have to trust The Sweatshirt to make that call.
Reply/Quote
Want Burrow on this team almost more than anything. The one thing I would want more is to have the greatest
NFL coach of our era coaching our team. So that is how I voted, give me Billy B.
Reply/Quote
I take Billy B in a heartbeat.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Great premise!

If Bill B were a few years younger, I'd go with him in a slam dunk. But because he's getting up there in age, I'll go with Joe.
Reply/Quote
Easy answer, yes...in a second.
Reply/Quote
I'd go with BB simply because we've seen MB take a QB at #1 overall, but him actually hiring someone who has a spine and giving that guy actual power would show a complete shift in our organizational mindset.

Replacing ZT and Duke Tobin in one fell swoop with a guy with a track record of fantastic success? I'll go with that and dumpster dive for our Ryan Tannehill, thanks.
Reply/Quote
Does he become owner/coach?
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 04:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Probably a very good chance he would, but you'd have to trust The Sweatshirt to make that call.

Well in the scenario he's most likely bring the GOAT with him, so I vote yes, 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote