Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you make the trade?
Trade the first pick to Miami for their 1st round picks? Maybe find a way to throw in Green. Miami will get their QB (Unless they love Tua) Green would basically get his wish since we would have to tag him. We could come away with Thomas, Tua ( Meh) or keep Dalton his final year. I kinda see MB staying loyal to Dalton anyway. Remember we still have Glenn and who knows if he will be back. Plus a number of other FA’s. The worse thing that can happen at this point is Burrow getting injured. Knock on wood.

So your the GM, what do you do?
Reply/Quote
I would trade back and take Tua and sign a FA QB.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
No. No trade. I would take Burrow regardless. His numbers are off the charts...over 75 percent completion rate and it's not from short passes.

How often do you get to pick 1st AND have a franchise qb like that available...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 11:55 PM)Goalpost Wrote: How often do you get to pick 1st?

If you’re the Bengals, too often.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 11:55 PM)Goalpost Wrote: No.  No trade.  I would take Burrow regardless.  His numbers are off the charts...over 75 percent completion rate and it's not from short passes.  

How often do you get to pick 1st
AND have a franchise qb like that available...

Well, we have had 1st pick 3 times, now 4th in 50 years, so only 8% of the time for us.

Only once, now twice so 4% a franchise QB was available for us.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3949064]

Hell no. Give me Joe Burrow.

Reply/Quote
A few months ago I would take the trade in a heartbeat. To Burrow's credit, he's spent the last few months making it very hard to not take him at #1. Of the 12 QBs heading into the playoffs, 2 can be questioned if they're franchise quality. If you have a chance at a franchise QB, and Burrow sure is looking the part, you dont pass that up. If our coaching staff thinks that Burrow will be a franchise QB, it would have to be nothing short of an absurd Ricky Williams-esque offer to get us to trade.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 11:59 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If you’re the Bengals, too often.

4 times in 50+ years.

Hardly a lot. The Colts have had 7. Bucs have had 5. There’s like half a dozen teams that have had 4...

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 11:23 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Trade the first pick to Miami for their 1st round picks? Maybe find a way to throw in Green. Miami will get their QB (Unless they love Tua) Green would basically get his wish since we would have to tag him. We could come away with Thomas, Tua ( Meh) or keep Dalton his final year. I kinda see MB staying loyal to Dalton anyway. Remember we still have Glenn and who knows if he will be back. Plus a number of other FA’s. The worse thing that can happen at this point is Burrow getting injured. Knock on wood.

So your the GM, what do you do?

No. While the Bengals have many needs and those extra picks sure would help out a lot, I believe you have to take the best QB available right now. 

Regardless of the player, I'm not a fan of selecting injured players in the first round. The Bengals have been taking injured guys in the last several years and it just hasn't paid off. Mike Brown loves bargains and he does see injured players as bargains, even if the player might sit out a year, and players like Ogbuehi, Ross and Price have have cost a lot and produced little.

I'd take Burrow #1 and the BPA the rest of the way. With so many holes and aging players, there's really not a single position group that couldn't use a young starter being selected.

Now, do I have any confidence that the team will even be able to identify who the best players available are? Not at all. This team relies on the opinions of outsiders, scouting services, Mel Kiper, etc., then debates those opinions among themselves in a committee, which includes the owner's daughters and her husband (as if they know what a good player is), then Mike Brown gets the final say.

So, fans will get whatever the committee of front office insiders talk themselves into that Mike Brown will approve. Recent drafts say that this approach is a failure, but Mike Brown likes it cause he can be lazy and wait for like thinkers to try and convince him of what to do. This is how we got Ogbuehi, Fisher, Ross, Sample and a number of guys who were wasted picks.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:24 AM)BengalChris Wrote: No. While the Bengals have many needs and those extra picks sure would help out a lot, I believe you have to take the best QB available right now. 

Regardless of the player, I'm not a fan of selecting injured players in the first round. The Bengals have been taking injured guys in the last several years and it just hasn't paid off. Mike Brown loves bargains and he does see injured players as bargains, even if the player might sit out a year, and players like Ogbuehi, Ross and Price have have cost a lot and produced little.

So, fans will get whatever the committee of front office insiders talk themselves into that Mike Brown will approve. Recent drafts say that this approach is a failure, but Mike Brown likes it cause he can be lazy and wait for like thinkers to try and convince him of what to do. This is how we got Ogbuehi, Fisher, Ross, Sample and a number of guys who were wasted picks.

That’s my worst nightmare: Mike Brown goes for the injured Tua Tagovailoa over the healthy Joe Burrow. This scenario is so realistic it scares me.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 11:55 PM)Goalpost Wrote: No.  No trade.  I would take Burrow regardless.  His numbers are off the charts...over 75 percent completion rate and it's not from short passes.  

How often do you get to pick 1st AND have a franchise qb like that available...

I absolutely agree with this. 

This does not come by very often. You cannot trade this pick. You have to take Joe Burrow and sign FA linemen and you are good to go.
He may be a bust but I would wager he is more like to be Pro Bowl type player. Look at the impact a QB (Joe Burrow) had on last nights game. Look at the impact Chase Young had on last nights game. NONE. Had you never heard of Chase Young before last nights game you still would not know who he is. 

We cannot pass/trade Joe Burrow. 

In fact whoever gets Joe Burrow is the team I am rooting for.
Reply/Quote
Take Chase Young. Purposefully tank next year and take Trevor Lawrence
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:38 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s my worst nightmare: Mike Brown goes for the injured Tua Tagovailoa over the healthy Joe Burrow.  This scenario is so realistic it scares me.

I know, it is a scary thought isn't it. I can see Mike Brown's thought process going like this: "I messed up when I didn't take that big trade from New Orleans and ended up with wonderlick flunker Akili Smith and all the fans made fun of me. And this is JUST like that year and I could get 3 players for one."

Only this year is not like that year at all. Burrow is not an idiot like Smith, no one else was pining to take Akili Smith either. But I'm not sure Mike Brown can tell the difference. Really, I question if he can.

Reply/Quote
It would take all 3 of Miami's first round picks + another first round pick, in my opinion.

Burrow is just that good.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 4 times in 50+ years.

Hardly a lot. The Colts have had 7. Bucs have had 5. There’s like half a dozen teams that have had 4...

And in one of those drafts, 1995, we traded up.

So we've really only "earned" the #1 pick 3 times, unless we traded out of the #1 pick in the past (which I don't believe we have).
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:21 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It would take all 3 of Miami's first round picks + another first round pick, in my opinion.

Burrow is just that good.

This feels like the movie Draft Day.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
For the people that say we could be in the market for Lawrence or Fields next year, keep in mind, this team was only a couple of plays from drafting 5th. It's not that easy to get the number 1 overall pick. If you are sitting at 5th next year, do you really want to give up 3 first rounders and other picks to move up for one of those guys?
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 03:21 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: For the people that say we could be in the market for Lawrence or Fields next year, keep in mind, this team was only a couple of plays from drafting 5th. It's not that easy to get the number 1 overall pick. If you are sitting at 5th next year, do you really want to give up 3 first rounders and other picks to move up for one of those guys?

Give up Ross, Ced and Price? Where do I sign. Lol 20/20 I know. The way I see it, If the QB is a once in a generation prospect like the majority thinks TL is, and you just happen to be in need of a QB its worth every pick. But if there’s any doubt heck no. Even after the year Burrow had I still have some doubt. it wouldn’t surprise me at all if we picked someone else with the first pick.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 03:21 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: For the people that say we could be in the market for Lawrence or Fields next year, keep in mind, this team was only a couple of plays from drafting 5th.  It's not that easy to get the number 1 overall pick.  If you are sitting at 5th next year, do you really want to give up 3 first rounders and other picks to move up for one of those guys?

Exactly, you can never plan on getting the 1st overall pick because a front office can want to tank but the players and coaches are gong to try to win. Those guys don't care because they may not be here to get the benefit that comes with tanking but the tape of bad play will follow them and impact their employability. Look at Miami who everyone said was tanking, they just beat the Patriots yesterday.

I'm an analytics guy and I get the desire to want to stock pile picks but it just doesn't work in practice as well as it works in theory. 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:37 AM)cinci4life Wrote: This feels like the movie Draft Day.

It does, doesn't it?  Draft Day is indeed one of my favorite movies of all time but I think the Joe Burrow - Bo Callahan comparison is a bit of a stretch.  Joe seems genuiune and Bo was just a jerk. Whatever

However, the Mike Brown comparison to the Browns' owner Anthony Molina is pretty close, but at least Molina had the sense to hire a general manager, Sonny Weaver Jr.  The comparison between Katie Blackburn and Jennifer Garner's character Ali Parker isn't close at all. 

My big fear, as I've stated, is for the Bengals to flip the Draft Day script, aboandon Bo Callahan and Vontae Mack entirely, and go for Tua Tagovailoa or Justin Herbert.  When it comes to picking a quarterback I fear Mike Brown might favor a big arm over a big brain.
Reply/Quote