Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you sign Junior Galette?
I know that the guy has tons of troubles and could be suspended maybe for some games. But if you think about his talent and how he would fit with the Bengals, it is quite awesome.

Imagine, Michael Johnson, Junior Galette & Carlos Dunlap.. That could be the top pass rushing group in the game. He may be a risk due to character concerns, but Bengals are a team that have done things like this in the past ( Adam Jones, Burfict, etc.).

He had 22 sacks in the last 2 years and was the Saint's best pass rusher.

http://stripehype.com/2015/07/24/cincinnati-bengals-need-sign-junior-galette/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=NextPost
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
We don't run a 3-4.
So his transition to a 4-3 DE or SLB would potentially hinder pass rush production.

Add that on his current baggage no I would not sign him...
Reply/Quote
Nah.

We already have too many DEs. Galette would just the spot of someone who deserves a spot on the team.
Reply/Quote
Why not? I think we could find room for someone with 22 sacks in the last 2 years. He'd come cheap and Marv has a good track record of rehabilitating troubled players.

These threads always kill me though. 99% of posters on here say "no" to any FA. So why ask? You'd have to find a FA who is uber-talented, cheap and has no off field or injury concerns to get some to say yes. Even then, they'd probably still be skeptical. LOL
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2015, 06:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Why not? I think we could find room for someone with 22 sacks in the last 2 years. He'd come cheap and Marv has a good track record of rehabilitating troubled players.

These threads always kill me though. 99% of posters on here say "no" to any FA. So why ask? You'd have to find a FA who is uber-talented, cheap and has no off field or injury concerns to get some to say yes. Even then, they'd probably still be skeptical. LOL

He's probably looking at a nice long suspension. 
There's no reason to sign a guy who might not play for awhile in a defense he doesn't have a true fit.

There's no proof we'd even use him right (James Harrison) 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2015, 06:55 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He's probably looking at a nice long suspension. 
There's no reason to sign a guy who might not play for awhile in a defense he doesn't have a true fit.

There's no proof we'd even use him right (James Harrison) 

We could wait until the suspension is announced. Everyone thought Greg Hardy was looking a long suspension too though.

I get your point on his tweener build, but for the right price, it'd be a worthy experiment. Just depends on how long he's out.

Heck, even if he's out for awhile, it could be a signing aimed toward 2016. We've done it before with less talented players.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2015, 07:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We could wait until the suspension is announced. Everyone thought Greg Hardy was looking a long suspension too though.

I get your point on his tweener build, but for the right price, it'd be a worthy experiment. Just depends on how long he's out.

Heck, even if he's out for awhile, it could be a signing aimed toward 2016. We've done it before with less talented players.

Remember when we walked away from Odell Thurman?

Why would we walk into this headcase?
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
NO......and NO......and NO again.....and haven't we had enough of this suspension nonsense in the Bengals history....

What this team needs going into training camp next weekend is FOCUS....close but no cigar....and they sure don't need less focus.....they need FOCUS.....If focused, this team could win it all.....but if Mike Brown goes cheap and brings in problem babies, God help us, last place for sure....I will post on here what I posted on the now eliminated Bengals. com in a few days, for the start of training camp, about winners being focused in July. There is no time to baby sit this character.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2015, 07:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We could wait until the suspension is announced. Everyone thought Greg Hardy was looking a long suspension too though.

If he didn't have the history, I'd be more for it. 
But given the history, I just don't want it.
We are seriously just now, 10 years later, getting away from the bullshit that happened with Henry, Odell and the other knuckleheads. 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2015, 06:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Why not? I think we could find room for someone with 22 sacks in the last 2 years. He'd come cheap and Marv has a good track record of rehabilitating troubled players.

First recorded posting on this site for a "Beast on the cheap"

Well Played Shake!
Reply/Quote
The 3-4 versus 4-3 defensive front isn't an issue. He's played more downs in the NFL as a 4-3 DE than an OLB in a 3-4.

He's no saint, but this ain't a nun's convent either. Besides I believe I've known some nun's who hit just as hard and seemed to enjoy trying to beat the devil out of kids.

I have no idea of his attitude and how he would affect the locker room. That and the contract terms would make or break the deal for me. I'm more or less done waiting on Hunt to show up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2015, 04:24 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Nah.

We already have too many DEs. Galette would just the spot of someone who deserves a spot on the team.

Right, someone like Margus Hunt or Will Clarke clearly deserve spots over someone like Galette

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Again proving he's a stand up guy, Galette uses his girlfriend's Twitter account and goes crazy on former teammates.
Definitely the kind of cat you want in your lockerroom.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/07/junior-galette-goes-ballistic-on-new-orleans-saints-on-twitter?utm_campaign=complexmag%2Bsocialflow%2B07%2B2015&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2015, 08:39 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Remember when we walked away from Odell Thurman?

(07-26-2015, 09:09 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: If he didn't have the history, I'd be more for it. 
But given the history, I just don't want it.
We are seriously just now, 10 years later, getting away from the bullshit that happened with Henry, Odell and the other knuckleheads. 

Right right. Odell and Henry. What about Pacman, Burfict, CedBen, Jeremy Hill etc?

The Bengals have taken similar risks recently on players with less upside than Galette, such as Brandon Joiner.

Not every player who has been arrested is going to turn into Chris Henry. Honestly, I doubt we'll ever see a player with that many off field problems again, no matter who we sign. Besides, Chris Henry really only got to that point thanks to how long Mike Brown (and Marv - to an extent) let that crap go on.

If they sign a player like Galette, he should be on a 1 strike and you're out policy. Teams do it all the time. The Bears signed Ray McDonald and instantly cut him when he got arrested. I don't think they're any worse for taking the chance. I think their locker room will be ok as well.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 12:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Bears signed Ray McDonald and instantly cut him when he got arrested. I don't think they're any worse for taking the chance. I think their locker room will be ok as well.

The problem arises when a guy gets suspended mid season and there is no player available to replace him.

Not saying I wouldn't sign a guy who has had some problems, but we can't act like there is no risk.

Right now we have plenty of quality DEs. However we are really thin at LB. But I don't see him playing OLB in a 4-3.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2015, 11:56 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Again proving he's a stand up guy, Galette uses his girlfriend's Twitter account and goes crazy on former teammates.
Definitely the kind of cat you want in your lockerroom.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/07/junior-galette-goes-ballistic-on-new-orleans-saints-on-twitter?utm_campaign=complexmag%2Bsocialflow%2B07%2B2015&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

(07-27-2015, 12:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Right right. Odell and Henry. What about Pacman, Burfict, CedBen, Jeremy Hill etc?

The Bengals have taken similar risks recently on players with less upside than Galette, such as Brandon Joiner.

Not every player who has been arrested is going to turn into Chris Henry. Honestly, I doubt we'll ever see a player with that many off field problems again, no matter who we sign. Besides, Chris Henry really only got to that point thanks to how long Mike Brown (and Marv - to an extent) let that crap go on.

If they sign a player like Galette, he should be on a 1 strike and you're out policy. Teams do it all the time. The Bears signed Ray McDonald and instantly cut him when he got arrested. I don't think they're any worse for taking the chance. I think their locker room will be ok as well.

Read the new link.
Galette is a cancer in the lockerroom. Rumors about him before this were he was a bad teammate. Read that link, he won't be accepted most places. 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2015, 11:17 PM)Bryan Wrote: Right, someone like Margus Hunt or Will Clarke clearly deserve spots over someone like Galette

I don't care much for Hunt.

But Clarke is worth keeping around.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2015, 11:17 PM)Bryan Wrote: Right, someone like Margus Hunt or Will Clarke clearly deserve spots over someone like Galette

Lunatic or not, suspend Galette for 10 games and he'd likely still play more productive snaps in a season than Margus Hunt and Will Clarke will in their careers. Hunt may not even make the roster and Will Clarke isn't going to magically turn into MJ just because MJ turned into MJ.

I don't have much of a problem staying away from Galette, but I don't think the reasoning should be to protect our absolute bottom of the roster player's spots.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 12:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The problem arises when a guy gets suspended mid season and there is no player available to replace him.

Not saying I wouldn't sign a guy who has had some problems, but we can't act like there is no risk.

Right now we have plenty of quality DEs.  However we are really thin at LB.  But I don't see him playing OLB in a 4-3.

I just think the risk is very minor. As I've said before, we'd only lose out on someone like Margus Hunt. I'm perfectly okay with that. There's guys on the street who could contribute as much as Hunt has.
(07-27-2015, 01:29 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Read the new link.
Galette is a cancer in the lockerroom. Rumors about him before this were he was a bad teammate. Read that link, he won't be accepted most places. 

There's been rumors that he was a little obnoxious after getting paid. Nothing on the record from what I've seen. On a positive note, Keenan Lewis and Kenny Vacarro have come to bat for Galette:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/26/keenan-lewis-on-junior-galette-give-him-a-chance/

So obviously not everyone disliked him. In a locker room with 53+ guys, not everyone is going to like each other. The fact that a couple of his former teammates are sticking up for him is a pretty big deal to me. The term "cancer" gets thrown around a lot these days, but I'd think that if Galette were a total a-hole, he wouldn't have former teammates sticking their necks out for him. Especially when they're still employed by the team that just cut Galette.

Fwiw, Galette has denied making the post or even having a twitter account. In all honesty, I don't have strong feelings on this either way. I wouldn't mind signing Galette to a "prove it" deal, and I don't think there would be any harm in it. If he's an a-hole, cut him. Simple. I'm not going to be upset if we don't go after him though. I think we're okay at DE for now.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2015, 08:39 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Remember when we walked away from Odell Thurman?

We didn't walk away from Odell because of the offield stuff.

If I remember correctly, when he returned from suspension and was working out with the team, he looked like shit, and that's when we completely cut ties with him.  If memory serves me correctly again, it wasn't long after that he got into trouble with the law again, but we had cut him for his play (or lack thereof).

If he's not suspended long, the article mentions giving him a low-base salary with incentives based on play (Offering Galette a Greg Hardy-like contract with high incentives for games played and a low base salary could prove useful), which I really wouldn't be opposed to that.  

However, dude seems like a psycho, and not sure how much he would disrupt things here, not to mention that Atkins returning to form and Hardison looking good (both comments from the article) have me excited and two guys causing disruptions in the interior of the line would really free-up our ends to make plays.

Speaking of which the article mentions Hardison, and it says only the fans are excited, but could we possibly see him cut into Peko's snaps?
Reply/Quote