Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you take a $10 parking ticket to court?
(09-15-2020, 04:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I gave in my initial response. Why not just go up to the LEO and ask why he/she chalked the tires.

He knew why the officer was chalking his tires and asking would not have made any difference in what happened. You think that if he asked why then the officer would have said it was okay to remove the chalk?

The officer was in the wrong yet you defend him.

Why defend the person who was in the wrong?

How is that "being right" or "doing right"?
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 04:32 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Hasn't the Supreme Court ruled that police are allowed to lie?

I think that’s more in the lines of questioning a suspect.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 05:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He knew why the officer was chalking his tires and asking would not have made any difference in what happened. You think that if he asked why then the officer would have said it was okay to remove the chalk?

The officer was in the wrong yet you defend him.

Why defend the person who was in the wrong?

How is that "being right" or "doing right"?

If Matt's friends knew than you know. Why was the officer marking the tires?

The officer was not wrong in determining how long a car remains in a two hour limit. The technique can be called into question. Perhaps post a warning sign. "Length of stay may be determined by chalking tires. Parking here gives consent.

IMO attitudes like Matt's friend's and the support of folks are far more destructive than productive. 

Of course it's my opinion and I'm sure you have yours and as Matt's friend says: He was being defiant. 

We are so juvenile at times. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'd never resist the law.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 04:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course it's about chalking the tires. The situation escalated when Matt's friend removed the chalk.

this is so typical of how blindly some people worship police.

The officer broke the rules but it was the guy who removed the offending chalk that "escalated" the situation.

No problem with the cop violating this guys rights.  Big problem with the guy removing the chalk that violated his rights.

(09-15-2020, 05:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We are so juvenile at times. 

The ONLY person who acted like a juvenile was the officer who liead about his authority and later lied about how long the car had been parked.

Everyone else acted like adults.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 05:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If Matt's friends knew than you know. Why was the officer marking the tires?

Of course everyone knew.  That has never been in dispute.  That is why I was so puzzled over your advice

(09-15-2020, 04:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why not just go up to the LEO and ask why he/she chalked the tires. 

What could possibly have been gained by asking a silly question that everyone knows the answer to?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Of course everyone knew.  That has never been in dispute.  That is why I was so puzzled over your advice

What could possibly have been gained by asking a silly question that everyone knows the answer to?

Then they could have had a rational discussion about the legality marking the tires before the situation escalated. But I try to follow a words before actions mantra.

If our kids came to us we'd just have given them different advice. I'd suggest to mine that he/she should always seek clarity and try to come to an understanding before action.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 01:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Then they could have had a rational discussion about the legality marking the tires before the situation escalated. But I try to follow a words before actions mantra.

If our kids came to us we'd just have given them different advice. I'd suggest to mine that he/she should always seek clarity and try to come to an understanding before action.

They both knew exactly why he was marking the tires.  Asking "why" would not have changed the outcome in any way.  How could it?  

You actually thing the officer would have been fine with him removing the chalk mark just because he asked why it as there?  That makes no sense at all.

You can't have a "rational discussion" with a police officer who violates your rights and then lies about his/her authority.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 01:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They both knew exactly why he was marking the tires.  Asking "why" would not have changed the outcome in any way.  How could it?  

You actually thing the officer would have been fine with him removing the chalk mark just because he asked why it as there?  That makes no sense at all.

You can't have a "rational discussion" with a police officer who violates your rights and then lies about his/her authority.

As I said; we'd give our kids different advice.

Reply/Quote