Poll: Would you make the trade
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Would you trade Burrow for Watson
No, because Burrow will be better than Watson.
Reply/Quote
If I were the Bengals I wouldn’t do it.

Burrow has proven nothing in the nfl so far, but he looks like a franchise QB in less than a season. He is on a rookie contract which makes him really cheap. Watson is in his 2nd and getting like 40+ million every year.

You can build around burrow right now but not so much Watson. If Watson was all we needed to be a contender then do it, but they aren’t.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 01:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The "big" off season talk in the NFL is Watson wants out on Houston. Mike Brown calls you and states:

"I've followed you on the message board and I am impressed with your football acumen; it appears second only to bfine's. The Texans have called and inquired if I'm willing to trade Joe Burrow for Deshaun Watson. Do you think I should do it?"

RULES:
No Zac sux answers
No They wouldn't do it answers
No counter trade answers
Simply would you do it and why/not

i think Watson would turn that down... if he had a say.  he wants to improve his situation more than this.

Watson just had a great season with a losing record which is hard to do.    

Either way you get a potentially top level QB.    But you lose a few years of rookie cap space for fixing other issues if you grab watson over burrow.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 01:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The "big" off season talk in the NFL is Watson wants out on Houston. Mike Brown calls you and states:

"I've followed you on the message board and I am impressed with your football acumen; it appears second only to bfine's. The Texans have called and inquired if I'm willing to trade Joe Burrow for Deshaun Watson. Do you think I should do it?"

RULES:
No Zac sux answers
No They wouldn't do it answers
No counter trade answers
Simply would you do it and why/not

"Mike, based on your football competency,  I'm not taking your opinion of my football acumen as a compliment.  However,  an inept football talent evaluator like you valuing bfine's 'acumen' seems about right."   Tongue 

That said,  I vote no. Based on all the financial reasons others have noted already. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 01:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This.

Fwiw, I think Watson is a player I would avoid like the plague if I were other teams.  He just signed his extension in September, many months after Hopkins has been traded.  So just 5 months later he wants out?

You can't say Hopkins changed his mind.  And I'm not sure how he could be that upset about Bill O'Brien getting canned, as he deserved to be fired as much as any HC I've ever seen.  So this is all about him not getting the GM he wanted?   Like Bill O'Brien was such a good GM (not a good coach) that Nick Caserio is such a downgrade and completely unacceptable?

Caserio, who was the director of Player Personnel for the Patriots from 2008-2020 (one of the greatest 12 year runs you'll find in the history of the NFL) is the straw that broke the camel's back?  GTFO...

Imagine giving a QB a 27 million dollar signing bonus, with 111 million in guarantees in September, and he wants out in January?  All because he doesn't like the new GM.  The guy doesn't even know who his coaches are yet.  And this primadonna is so upset that he won't even take calls from the billionaire owner who just made him one of the richest athletes the sport has ever seen.

Deshaun Watson is a douche.  Plain and simple.

Not to make this political,  but I believe Watson is upset over the franchise's social justice stance and perhaps hiring Caserio without interviewing any black GMs as has been reported,  finally caused him to "snap."

That's what's been reported. I don't believe this has too much to do with their future win potential.
Reply/Quote
Tough, but I wouldn't. Tough to take on that contract. Better to build around Burrow while he's cheap.
Reply/Quote
So if I'm reading the responses correctly. IF Burrow becomes arguably the 2nd best QB in the NFL when contract time rolls around; we should look for a rookie?

Personally, I'd have a hard time saying no. Deshaun would love to receive the protection he'd get from this oline.

FWIW, Deshaun is 13 months older than Joe.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 04:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So if I'm reading the responses correctly. IF Burrow becomes arguably the 2nd best QB in the NFL when contract time rolls around; we should look for a rookie?

Personally, I'd have a hard time saying no. Deshaun would love to receive the protection he'd get from this oline.

You make a good point, and wow to the age gap being so small.  With that being said, I know Watson would be as annoyed with the Bengals as he is with the Texans, so meh...what's the point?
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 04:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So if I'm reading the responses correctly. IF Burrow becomes arguably the 2nd best QB in the NFL when contract time rolls around; we should look for a rookie?

No. We are saying that trying to build a team around a very talented, young and cheap QB is possibly more valuable than adding an already established, star QB that is expensive. A team has a strong competitive advantage, financially, when a talented QB is on a rookie deal.

Basically, many believe that Burrow can develop quickly to an elite level and still be on his rookie contract, which would allow for more money to be spent elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
I voted No. Watsons very good but I am not as high on him as others are. You roll with your guy and save the $.

And...
Zac Sucks and neither team would do this trade but I would trade him for Mahomes!
Reply/Quote
I'm with most of the group. Bad organization for Watson to go to (if he'd even do it), it would break the bank and I believe Joe is going to be a very good QB. Very good. And he's just got a stellar personality. Don't know that he'll ever be as good as Watson, but he'll be good enough to build a team around. And his team will play their asses off for him.
Reply/Quote
As to the contract:

Of course it's expensive and our "best case' is that Joe will be equally expensive in a few years. A large part of the Watson contract was a $27,000,000 signing bonus; that's on Houston

As to the value:

The "hot talk is:
Dolphins for Tua, #18 this year, 1st rd 2022
Niners for First-round pick in 2021, second-round pick in 2021, first-round pick in 2022, second-round pick in 2023 and Jimmy Garoppolo

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 04:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to the contract:

Of course it's expensive and our "best case' is that Joe will be equally expensive in a few years. A large part of the Watson contract was a $27,000,000 signing bonus; that's on Houston

As to the value:

The "hot talk is:
Dolphins for Tua, #18 this year, 1st rd 2022
Niners for First-round pick in 2021, second-round pick in 2021, first-round pick in 2022, second-round pick in 2023 and Jimmy Garoppolo

Even without the bonus, his cap hit is averaging around $34 million per year, starting in 2022. The bonus would take off around $5 million in cap hit per season.

Burrow has a cap hit of $9.8 million in 2022, which is likely when he would be signing an extension (2022 or 2023). That extension would become active in 2025, after his fifth year option.
Reply/Quote
Yes.

The cap hit increase in 2021 isn't a lot, and while the increase in 2022 over Burrow's is a bit painful, but Burrow only has 2 years left before he is eligible (and thus practically required if he's a franchise QB) for a contract extension. So after that it won't be much difference provided Burrow does real well.

I like Burrow, and I think he has a bunch of potential, but Watson is a QB with 3 100+ QB Rating seasons out of 4 under his belt, a playoff win under his belt, and is only 1 year older than Burrow.

Watson IS right now what we hope Burrow will grow to be. No growing or hoping needed.

2020 Stats: 70.2% Completion (3rd), 4,823 yards (1st), 8.9 YPA (1st), 33 TD/7 INT, 112.4 QB Rating (2nd)

Yes please.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
No Burrow has a cheaper contract and I think eventually he will be better than Watson.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 05:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yes.

The cap hit increase in 2021 isn't a lot, and while the increase in 2022 over Burrow's is a bit painful, but Burrow only has 2 years left before he is eligible (and thus practically required if he's a franchise QB) for a contract extension. So after that it won't be much difference provided Burrow does real well.

I like Burrow, and I think he has a bunch of potential, but Watson is a QB with 3 100+ QB Rating seasons out of 4 under his belt, a playoff win under his belt, and is only 1 year older than Burrow.

Watson IS right now what we hope Burrow will grow to be. No growing or hoping needed.

2020 Stats: 70.2% Completion (3rd), 4,823 yards (1st), 8.9 YPA (1st), 33 TD/7 INT, 112.4 QB Rating (2nd)

Yes please.

Also with Watson we know how he has recovered from a torn ACL. Not sure the board is giving Mikey sound advice.

Something about one in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

Reply/Quote
Fun fact, 9 years ago we were debating on whether we would want to get Peyton Manning or keep rolling with Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 05:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Also with Watson we know how he has recovered from a torn ACL. Not sure the board is giving Mikey sound advice.

Something about one in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

I hadn't even really thought as far as Burrow's recovery goes when I made my choice, honestly. 

Agreed, though. I know Watson is an undisputed Top-5 QB right now and is only 1 year older than Burrow. Hard to turn down guarantees over promise. I think there's a lot of under-valuing Watson going on in this thread, as I was shocked by the poll results. 

I'm really now just wondering what people who voted "no" are thinking Joe Burrow is going to put up as his season total stats on average the next 3 years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 05:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I hadn't even really thought as far as Burrow's recovery goes when I made my choice, honestly. 

Agreed, though. I know Watson is an undisputed Top-5 QB right now and is only 1 year older than Burrow. Hard to turn down guarantees over promise. I think there's a lot of under-valuing Watson going on in this thread, as I was shocked by the poll results. 

I'm really now just wondering what people who voted "no" are thinking Joe Burrow is going to put up as his season total stats on average the next 3 years.

I said NO because I think Burrow has a bright future AND (mostly) Watson wouldn't want to come here.  Maybe that makes it a "sour grapes" kinda no.
Reply/Quote
Can you add an "Are you F*ck*ng Mad" option to that poll?
Reply/Quote