Poll: Would you make the trade
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Would you trade Burrow for Watson
The "big" off season talk in the NFL is Watson wants out on Houston. Mike Brown calls you and states:

"I've followed you on the message board and I am impressed with your football acumen; it appears second only to bfine's. The Texans have called and inquired if I'm willing to trade Joe Burrow for Deshaun Watson. Do you think I should do it?"

RULES:
No Zac sux answers
No They wouldn't do it answers
No counter trade answers
Simply would you do it and why/not
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I voted no primarily because of the cap hit.
2021 is only $15 mill but 2022 and 2023 are $40+ mill each year.
With Burrow, the Bengals have a way cheaper contract through 2023, in which they can use to build a better team overall.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
No.

Isn't Deshaun getting or close to getting a huge contract? Watson is an established star, but the Bengals need to use Burrow's rookie deal to help supplement a roster that needs help all over.
Reply/Quote
Yes. Watson is a beast
Reply/Quote
No, of course not. It makes no sense to trade a QB that is on a rookie deal for a QB that just signed a huge extension just this past offseason.

The value Joe Burrow can potentially provide for the next two to four years (depending on extension details) is like the Holy Grail of NFL contracts. If he progresses like we all think and hope he does we'll be getting a 40+ million dollar QB for under 10 million a season.

Not to mention the fact that there's a very good chance that he's just straight up a better QB than Watson down the line, this makes it all the more ridiculous.

I will be shocked if a single person votes yes on this.
Reply/Quote
No. Watson is a monster, but if Burrow is as good as we think, with his contract, he is going to be a better value. Cincinnati has a lot of holes that need to be filled and they can use that extra cap space to make the team more competitive.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 01:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The "big" off season talk in the NFL is Watson wants out on Houston. Mike Brown calls you and states:

"I've followed you on the message board and I am impressed with your football acumen; it appears second only to bfine's. The Texans have called and inquired if I'm willing to trade Joe Burrow for Deshaun Watson. Do you think I should do it?"

RULES:
No Zac sux answers
No They wouldn't do it answers
No counter trade answers
Simply would you do it and why/not

No.  If the Texans can't keep Watson happy, why in the world would you think the Bengals could?
Reply/Quote
OH HELLLLLLLLL NO
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Burrow is outstanding, but Watson is next level elite. I can't even think of 3 QBs in the NFL that are better than him. And I definitely can't think of 3 QBs that are better than him that are also as young as him.

The only downside to the trade is the increased cap hit, but with a QB like Watson, you can afford to skimp in a few areas.
Reply/Quote
No, partly because I think Burrow is more than a-ok here but mostly because Watson wants off of a team that is being run into the ground by an idiot son taking over and being too involved after his father died.

Much of what Watson is upset about in Houston is applicable to the Bengals, so trading for a guy who has shown he doesn't want to play for that sort of franchise seems unwise.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 01:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: No.  If the Texans can't keep Watson happy, why in the world would you think the Bengals could?

This.

Fwiw, I think Watson is a player I would avoid like the plague if I were other teams.  He just signed his extension in September, many months after Hopkins has been traded.  So just 5 months later he wants out?

You can't say Hopkins changed his mind.  And I'm not sure how he could be that upset about Bill O'Brien getting canned, as he deserved to be fired as much as any HC I've ever seen.  So this is all about him not getting the GM he wanted?   Like Bill O'Brien was such a good GM (not a good coach) that Nick Caserio is such a downgrade and completely unacceptable?

Caserio, who was the director of Player Personnel for the Patriots from 2008-2020 (one of the greatest 12 year runs you'll find in the history of the NFL) is the straw that broke the camel's back?  GTFO...

Imagine giving a QB a 27 million dollar signing bonus, with 111 million in guarantees in September, and he wants out in January?  All because he doesn't like the new GM.  The guy doesn't even know who his coaches are yet.  And this primadonna is so upset that he won't even take calls from the billionaire owner who just made him one of the richest athletes the sport has ever seen.

Deshaun Watson is a douche.  Plain and simple.
Reply/Quote
it is a trade that makes zero sense. Joe is a franchise QB on a rookie contract. Why do we spend away our future in both cap hits and draft picks for DeShaun Watson. As we learned last season, this team needs more than a QB

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 01:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Deshaun Watson is a douche.  Plain and simple.

Meh, Watson put up borderline MVP numbers on a 4 win team.  He needs to go somewhere we he can be relevant and the Texans need to get a haul of picks for him so they can sell their fanbase on the notion that they are rebuilding and may suck now, but will totally be good someday.

EDIT - I wouldn't trade Burrow for him, but it makes total sense for Watson to want out of Houston, as far as I see it. The team kept winning that division with nobody QBs like Tom Savage and Brian Hoyer and then the owner dies, his son takes over, and their franchise QB wants out because they stank and they're hemorrhaging talent. I've seen this movie before.
Reply/Quote
NO
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 01:52 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Burrow is outstanding, but Watson is next level elite. I can't even think of 3 QBs in the NFL that are better than him. And I definitely can't think of 3 QBs that are better than him that are also as young as him.

The only downside to the trade is the increased cap hit, but with a QB like Watson, you can afford to skimp in a few areas.

Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen

3 QB’s who are better

But yes I do believe deshaun is top 5
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 02:29 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen

3 QB’s who are better

But yes I do believe deshaun is top 5

I had Watson above Allen, especially since this is Allen's first year where he's truly been elite whereas Watson has been doing it since he came into the league and Watson still, statistically, outperformed Allen this year, but yea they're both easily in the top 5.
Reply/Quote
I voted no, but it was closer than I'd like to admit. Watson is a superstar -- 3-time pro bowler, has won in the playoffs, and he just had his best season ever (by far) with the least amount of help (no Hopkins, lost Fuller to suspension, etc.). He carried the Texans to 4 wins and is easily a top-5 QB in the league. IMO, he should have been 2nd team All-Pro this year, or at least tied with Mahomes over Josh Allen. In contrast, Burrow is a rookie, coming off a severe injury, is only one year younger than Watson, and, though promising, we really don't know if he'll ever approach Watson's current production (although I think he will).

Deciding factor for me is that, despite Watson's brilliance, the Texans still had a worse record than Bengals. Watson to Bengals may give us 2-4 more wins, but it doesn't make us a playoff team. We still have a ton of holes, specifically on defense, that we won't be able to fill by taking on his salary. Although he prob would make our o-line look better ...
Reply/Quote
I voted no, for financial reasons. This team embarked upon a rebuild effort, starting last offseason, based upon the idea that they would be paying a rookie QB salary for the next 4 seasons. I like Watson, and appreciate him as a Star NFL QB. However, with Watson due for a major contract, the efforts to put a strong supporting cast around him would be greatly hamstrung.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
No, but only because of the money required. As miserly as the Bengals have historically been, it could cripple the rest of the roster.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I voted no. I live in Ft. Lauderdale & Dolphins are my second favorite team. There was a lot of talk about Tua plus picks/money for Watson down here. IMO & most of my Dolphins friends, Tua has not impressed as much as Burrow.
Reply/Quote