Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you trade Suarez for a Number 1 Starter?
(11-16-2018, 04:49 PM)kevin Wrote:  Votto is not consistent.  He has good years and bad years.  Last year was awful considering what Reds pay him.

Joey Votto finished in the top 7 in MVP voting 3 straight years (and 6 of last 8) before having a down season in 2017.  

(11-16-2018, 04:58 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not sure how tradeable Votto really is ? 

He is an amazing player, but his contract is ridiculous for a guy his age.  He will be 35 next year and he still has 5 years at $25 million a year guaranteed.  The only point of a contract like that is to pay a guy for his loyalty and re-signing to retie with the Reds.  It is not the kind of contract that can be traded away very easily.
Reply/Quote
I'm starting to think that maybe trading a lot for starter is a bad idea.

There is a lot of talent at the AAA level that's going to be big-league ready this year or next. Senzel, Trammell, Santillan, Guttierez, etc will all likely be Reds by the 2020 season. I really don't want to give them up for anyone before we see what they are. Adding Senzel and Trammell to this offense could make it one of the league's better lineups.

I'd look to trade guys like Gennett, who's deal is up after 19, Hamilton, and maybe Iglesias (a luxury that a team like this doesn't really need) to get some pitching help if possible.

I'd add a upper mid-level SP or to in free agency. I'd target guys like Gio Gonzalez and Lance Lynn. If Sonny Gray could be had for a Hamilton or Gennett plus Iglesias kind of package, I'd pull the trigger.

After the 2019 season, Homer and Gennett are off the books. On top of that, you'll have another year to get an idea of what the young guys are going to contribute and ETAs of minor league pitchers. Once they determine what they've got, they'll have a boatload more cash to throw at a number one starter next offseason.
Reply/Quote
Votto would have to agree to any trade and has already said he wants to retire a Red, but even if he agreed who is going to pay his 25M a year salary at 35+?  The only way he would want to be traded maybe is if he's benched all season and nobody wants a old benched player past 35 for 25M per..  Silly talk.. He'll retire in Cincinnati unless some ridiculous deal comes along nobody could possibly foresee .. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Reds were talking to the Mets about Noah Syndergaard, but I guess the price got too high and they dropped out of the bidding.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 12:47 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The Reds were talking to the Mets about Noah Syndergaard, but I guess the price got too high and they dropped out of the bidding.

This is the type of pitcher we need. Going to cost a lot though.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 12:47 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The Reds were talking to the Mets about Noah Syndergaard, but I guess the price got too high and they dropped out of the bidding.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm starting to think all the reporting about the Reds being interested in TOR pitching is a scam by this two-bit front office.  They're in on Syndergaard, Paxton, Keuchel, Happ, Gray, blah, blah, blah.  

With as poorly as this ownership has proven that they run a team and as greedy as they are from a spending standpoint, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just reporting crap like this out to get fans to think they're doing thing differently this year.

I'll believe this team is going after quality pitching when they actually sign someone.  They need to get used to the idea of overpaying.  No pitcher wants to work in that bandbox out of the goodness of his heart.  If they wait around for bargains, they'll be left in the cold.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 04:50 PM)samhain Wrote: I hope I'm wrong, but I'm starting to think all the reporting about the Reds being interested in TOR pitching is a scam by this two-bit front office.  They're in on Syndergaard, Paxton, Keuchel, Happ, Gray, blah, blah, blah.  

With as poorly as this ownership has proven that they run a team and as greedy as they are from a spending standpoint, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just reporting crap like this out to get fans to think they're doing thing differently this year.

I'll believe this team is going after quality pitching when they actually sign someone.  They need to get used to the idea of overpaying.  No pitcher wants to work in that bandbox out of the goodness of his heart.  If they wait around for bargains, they'll be left in the cold.

The report I read was from a source with the Mets. So, the Reds did at least call the Mets. I have no idea how serious their interest in Thor was, though. He is under team control for 4 more years, so that probably added quite a bit of value to the trade. Probably would take two big league position players and top two prospects.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 04:50 PM)samhain Wrote: I hope I'm wrong, but I'm starting to think all the reporting about the Reds being interested in TOR pitching is a scam by this two-bit front office.  They're in on Syndergaard, Paxton, Keuchel, Happ, Gray, blah, blah, blah. 

Same here.

We are not going to get a guy like Syndergaard or Keuchel.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 07:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Same here.

We are not going to get a guy like Syndergaard or Keuchel.

If Keuchel sat around for a while and didn't get a deal, then perhaps they'd try something.  Reports are that the Reds are very interested in him.  I think there's about a 20 percent chance we sign a guy like him.  

Hope we do though.  He doesn't give up a lot of home runs and would fit in great at GABP.  
Reply/Quote
The thing with pitchers v guys like Votto, Suarez, etc., is position players tend to last longer and are far more predictable than starting pitchers. Sure fire locks to have a 20 game winner are far and few apart. You can have a guy who throws 110 mph, but arm injuries are always a huge risk especially when you dump in a multi million dollar long term contract in the mix.  Solid starters you absolutely rely on are like catching lightning in a bottle and they demand the same price as a bottle of lightning. A reliable 1st baseman is a lot easier to come by except for the likes of Votto. Joey has proven his ability over the years. 
How would you like to reach the playoffs and miss just because you have a first baseman hitting with a lifetime .203 batting average?  No..you keep your keepers and throw the dice with your pitchers who may or may not ever repeat what they did the previous season..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Newest rumors are Reds talking to Indians for either Kluber or Bauer. Kluber would be great depending on how much he has left in the tank and as long as the Reds don’t give up too much for a short term older pitcher.
Reply/Quote