Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wow, 25 Maryland Corrections Officer Indicted.
Wow, what a travesty. It would seem that Maryland really needs to get a handle on these sort of things, and this is a great first step.

I won't go into great detail, as I know how much all of you like to read, so I'll just let y'all read the article for yourselves. The news affiliate included some photos of some of the perpetrators, along with some of the charges related to each one.

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/city-in-crisis/25-maryland-corrections-officers-indicted-on-criminal-charges?fbclid=IwAR3WwnEwpmrVcWCb6d56r5l2szfR5Zw4KvVfvoZHueNtGH146VjuV_X8de8
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
I'd hate to be a corrections officer going to prison.

Maybe Maryland is different, but wouldn't pretrial detainment just be the jail run by the sheriff and deputies?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

These officers were members of a task force that was called into facilities to handle larger problems. The State was asking for them to be held without bail until their trial, but the judge dismissed that and released many on their own recognizance, stating that they were not flight risks nor a danger to the public.

Some defense attorneys pointed to the accusation of gang membership, saying that that the prosecution can't even define what the gang they were suppose to be in even is. Another balked at the charges, including second degree assault which could just mean pushing someone. One said "If this was a 'criminal enterprise', it was a non-profit enterprise".

The court was filled with law enforcement officers showing their support for the accused. It'll be interesting to see if there is even anything there, or if Mosby just decided to crack down on a group of tough officers.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Seems like they may be over-charging with allegations of gang activity, but I don't know the Maryland laws on this.

But overall it seems like the result of a long extensive investigation. I'd guess most of these guys will get stuck with some charges.