Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wow Bob Stoops Retires!!
Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops is reportedly retiring 'effective immediately'

Lincoln Riley named as new HC for the Oklahoma Sooners.

http://www.businessinsider.com/oklahoma-head-coach-bob-stoops-retiring-effective-immediately-2017-6

After 18 years at the University of Oklahoma, I’ve decided to step down as the head football coach. I understand there has been some speculation about my health. My health was not the deciding factor in this decision and I’ve had no incidents that would prevent me from coaching. I feel the timing is perfect to hand over the reins. The program is in tremendous shape. We have outstanding players and coaches and are poised to make another run at a Big 12 and national championship. We have new state-of-the-art facilities and a great start on next year’s recruiting class. The time is now because Lincoln Riley will provide a seamless transition as the new head coach, capitalizing on an excellent staff that is already in place and providing familiarity and confidence for our players. Now is simply the ideal time for me and our program to make this transition."

BOOMER!!

In other news, Oklahoma Sooners Women's Softball team sweeps Florida in the College World Series!! Winning their Second Straight in a row and 3 of the last 5.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That is a bit of a surprise. I have to wonder if there isn't a NCAA investigation into the Oklahoma football program, that is about to make the news. This link is to just the most recent of players with legal problems in the Oklahoma program, under Stoops' tenure.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/04/oklahoma-football-player-accused-of-pimping-out-cheerleader/

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 06:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is a bit of a surprise.  I have to wonder if there isn't a NCAA investigation into the Oklahoma football program, that is about to make the news.  This link is to just the most recent of players with legal problems in the Oklahoma program, under Stoops' tenure.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/04/oklahoma-football-player-accused-of-pimping-out-cheerleader/

I doubt it.
The new HC Riley, has been the talk of the town and we didn't want to lose him and have him coach another team. It might not have been Bob's plan to retire just now, but his dad died of a heart attack at the same age that Stoops is now. There's no investigations or health problems going on. Stoops has recently purchased a house in Chicago, so I think this was quietly being planned.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 08:20 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I doubt it.
The new HC Riley, has been the talk of the town and we didn't want to lose him and have him coach another team. It might not have been Bob's plan to retire just now, but his dad died of a heart attack at the same age that Stoops is now. There's no investigations or health problems going on. Stoops has recently purchased a house in Chicago, so I think this was quietly being planned.

I think you hit the nail on the head here.  Bob didn't want to follow in his father's footsteps and die on the football field. Little known fact....his father was buried in a Iowa Hawkeye jersey.  I think Bob's own mortality thoughts may have caught up with him.

On the local sports talking show, one of the guys couldn't believe that Bob Stoops retires before Bill Snyder.  He said, "Bob Stoops retires so he doesn't die on the football field.  Bill Snyder doesn't retire so he can die on the football field."  the old silver fox just keeps on a going.    
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2017, 09:47 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I think you hit the nail on the head here.  Bob didn't want to follow in his father's footsteps and die on the football field. Little known fact....his father was buried in a Iowa Hawkeye jersey.  I think Bob's own mortality thoughts may have caught up with him.

On the local sports talking show, one of the guys couldn't believe that Bob Stoops retires before Bill Snyder.  He said, "Bob Stoops retires so he doesn't die on the football field.  Bill Snyder doesn't retire so he can die on the football field."  the old silver fox just keeps on a going.    

Yes and it's also better to go out on top on your own terms than to struggle and get fired or forced to retire. There's nothing but Love for him right now with all Sooner fans. So he will always be remembered positively.

We aren't under investigation for anything as far as I know, but if we are then time will tell.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2017, 12:46 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes and it's also better to go out on top on your own terms than to struggle and get fired or forced to retire. There's nothing but Love for him right now with all Sooner fans. So he will always be remembered positively.

We aren't under investigation for anything as far as I know, but if we are then time will tell.

I didn't know you were a Sooner fan. 

You're right, I don't know of any kind of "scandal" OU is involved in.  He ran a top notch program as far as that goes. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Wonder if he'll start advising his brother in Lexington.
Reply/Quote