Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wtf..
How can they expect to resign MJ, Iloka, Pacman, Nelson, etc. all with only $15m?

I am seriously astonished of how cheap the Bengals are..

We're about to lose all of our key free agents :/
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 04:10 PM)milksheikh Wrote: How can they expect to resign MJ, Iloka, Pacman, Nelson, etc. all with only $15m?

I am seriously astonished of how cheap the Bengals are..

We're about to lose all of our key free agents :/

Surprised?

$38.5 million salary cap
-$7 million allocated for draft picks
-$7 million for injuries
-$8 million likely going toward extensions for players like Zeitler, Bernard, Eifert, DreK? Shawn Williams?
-roughly $1.5 mill tied into minimum vet re-signings of Tate and TJ Johnson (if they make the team).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$15 million remaining
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wow. Glad someone finally brought this up. I've been dying to discuss it.
Reply/Quote
We literally do this every year.....It won't be the end of the world just like it isn't every year
Reply/Quote
I suggest everyone read this: http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/3/6/11171018/annual-warning-pay-no-attention-to-the-cap-room-behind-the-curtain
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 04:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Surprised?

$38.5 million salary cap
-$7 million allocated for draft picks
-$7 million for injuries
-$8 million likely going toward extensions for players like Zeitler, Bernard, Eifert, DreK? Shawn Williams?
-roughly $1.5 mill tied into minimum vet re-signings of Tate and TJ Johnson (if they make the team).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$15 million remaining

A couple things:

$15 million, but let's think this through:

When have we ever needed $7 million for injuries?  That number is outrageous.  Nobody needs a $7 million cap space for injuries considering nearly anyone that signs during the season or camp is most always coming on a vet minimum type contract.

Where's the rollover number of $8 million?

Add those 2 numbers back in, and you have $30 million in space.
Reply/Quote
Was recently watching some NFL network free agency discussion and they were talking about how there is no more "5 year plans" in the NFL. GMs understand that it is easier to absorb bad contracts and easier to take risks on some high free agent contracts because it is a "WIN NOW LEAGUE" if you are close..... You better go for it because other teams will be.

I can only hope Mike Brown was watching..........
Reply/Quote
Nothing new there that we did not already know.

I think what ticks us off is not the notion of "cheapness" as it is the total aversion to taking any kind of risk. We see the team so close to making the big jump to a championship and then it gets held back because of a critical position weakness or lack of depth where had we splurged even a little it may have done the job. And we are seeing it again this offseason, for example at Center.

No offense, but Bodine is terrible. He gets zero push in the run game which had led to our being unable to run inside and he also has major problems in pass protection. This could be immediately fixed and turned into a strength were we willing to take a small risk on someone like Mack. But we are already being set up for what will happen - nothing. Instead of fixing the issue we will have to endure another season of Bodine's poor play.

That was one example. There is also the problem at linebacker and indeed the potential losing of one or both safeties.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 05:28 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Was recently watching some NFL network free agency discussion and they were talking about how there is no more "5 year plans" in the NFL. GMs understand that it is easier to absorb bad contracts and easier to take risks on some high free agent contracts because it is a "WIN NOW LEAGUE" if you are close..... You better go for it because other teams will be.

I think MIke Brown wants to win now.  We spent over the league cap last year, and we have almost always paid top money to keep our own best players.

I know we won't keep all of our free agent starters, but there is no way they all leave.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 05:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think MIke Brown wants to win now.  We spent over the league cap last year, and we have almost always paid top money to keep our own best players.

I know we won't keep all of our free agent starters, but there is no way they all leave.

I think the coaches are happy with Wlliams at safety and maybe Alford is a secret weapon they haven't unleashed yet as a WR.....who knows? I think a strong move to sign Alex Mack (if he's still available) Would be Awesome....expensive, but an instant upgrade that would make our whole Offense better. I know McCarron is a nice back-up, but if a team offered a 2nd plus other picks....I would listen.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 05:28 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Was recently watching some NFL network free agency discussion and they were talking about how there is no more "5 year plans" in the NFL. GMs understand that it is easier to absorb bad contracts and easier to take risks on some high free agent contracts because it is a "WIN NOW LEAGUE" if you are close..... You better go for it because other teams will be.

Really work well for teams like Tampa Bay and dallas last year
Reply/Quote
I just hope Bengals understand.. sometimes spending is actually good..

Look at the Broncos for example, they went from the best offense in Superbowl 48 to best defense in Superbowl 50 within 2 years, after signing top free agents in free agency..
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
All this hand wringing and yet the Bengals have one of the best rosters in the league....
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 09:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: All this hand wringing and yet the Bengals have one of the best rosters in the league....

Well, starting tomorrow the rosters' talent is going to diminish a bit.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 07:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Really work well for teams like Tampa Bay and dallas last year

Yeah, I'm sure those two teams would have been awesome in 2015 had they done nothing in free agency.   Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 09:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: All this hand wringing and yet the Bengals have one of the best rosters in the league....

Yeah. So good they can afford to lose a 26 year old rising star safety who is among the best in the league and a 26 year old WR who is hitting his prime and is one of the top #2 WR in the NFL. 

But no worries at all. 
We have....umm....James Wright? 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 09:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, I'm sure those two teams would have been awesome in 2015 had they done nothing in free agency.   Rolleyes

Shhh. They need to use the ultimate extreme examples to placate themselves with the other extreme. 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 09:41 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Shhh. They need to use the ultimate extreme examples to placate themselves with the other extreme. 

Thankfully there will always be a team in an unrelated QB hell that is going to spend too much on a FA out of desperation and "prove" free agency doesn't work.  
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 05:15 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I suggest everyone read this: http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/3/6/11171018/annual-warning-pay-no-attention-to-the-cap-room-behind-the-curtain

Excellent article, very informative.  A bit long, admittedly, I did not read every word.  However, I gained enough information and insight to know that there is a bit more money that can be squeezed, if they choose to.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 09:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, I'm sure those two teams would have been awesome in 2015 had they done nothing in free agency.   Rolleyes

actually what they did was set themselves back with over paying.. so that is why they are where they are right now... I like your thinking though.. go spend the money and if it does not work out, you are still bad just bad for a few longer years.. sounds like the Browns front office talking..  Hilarious
Reply/Quote