Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X (FKA Twitter) Might Start Charging All Users
News just came out this week that Elon Musk might implement a paywall for all users to use X (Twitter).
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/sep/19/elon-musk-twitter-x-subscription-fees-users-posts

If a paywall is implemented, would you pay it to continue using the service, or would you leave for another free alternative?
If you would pay, what is the highest amount monthly you would pay?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 04:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: News just came out this week that Elon Musk might implement a paywall for all users to use X (Twitter).
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/sep/19/elon-musk-twitter-x-subscription-fees-users-posts

If a paywall is implemented, would you pay it to continue using the service, or would you leave for another free alternative?
If you would pay, what is the highest amount monthly you would pay?

Musk is known for saying stupid s**t that he has zero intention of actually following up on. I'd put this in that category. I'd give it a .0005% chance of happening. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 04:30 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Musk is known for saying stupid s**t that he has zero intention of actually following up on. I'd put this in that category. I'd give it a .0005% chance of happening. 

I'm not so sure.

The Twitter Blue subscription he muttered first and it ended up becoming a reality.

Regardless, we're talking about what-if. So if it actually happens, what would you do?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 04:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not so sure.

The Twitter Blue subscription he muttered first and it ended up becoming a reality.

Regardless, we're talking about what-if. So if it actually happens, what would you do?

I barely use X or twitter or whatever its called, same with FB ...so I would be definitely gone
Im more of a Reddit guy anyway.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 04:46 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I barely use X or twitter or whatever its called, same with FB ...so I would be definitely gone
Im more of a Reddit guy anyway.

I use Twitter fairly often, mainly for quick sports and news updates.

With that said, the service has been free for 15+ years and has survived up to this point.
I think charging a subscription fee to use the service after all this time would be viewed as a greedy move by the company/owner and turn away so many people that it would kill the app.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Well my Social Media Annual Budget is $0.00 and will remain that way. So any service that charges will lose me (not that i post much anyways)
Reply/Quote
That would be a bold move.  With so many social media platforms available and free, unless everyone is going to start charging it feels like shooting themselves in the foot.  But sometimes people say things to gauge feedback.  I think Twitter/X is pretty much a cesspool (although it can be helpful to get live updates during major events/emergencies) so I rarely go on there and would never pay for it.  Paying for any social platform might just be the best motivation to get off it fully  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 10:54 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: That would be a bold move.  With so many social media platforms available and free, unless everyone is going to start charging it feels like shooting themselves in the foot.  But sometimes people say things to gauge feedback.  I think Twitter/X is pretty much a cesspool (although it can be helpful to get live updates during major events/emergencies) so I rarely go on there and would never pay for it.  Paying for any social platform might just be the best motivation to get off it fully  Smirk

I get the sense that Musk thought more people would have actually bought Twitter Blue, and not nearly as many people actually did.
So he's not seeing the revenue come in like expected.

If the main concern is bots, I'm sure they could do something to limit the number of posts non-Twitter Blue users could make in an hour or day.
That would give incentive for people who want to use the service to build their brand incentive to pay, but for those of us like myself who really just use it for reading updates from others, keep it free.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I don't use twitter...I'll catch tweets that are linked on forums or news articles but it's not my thing.

If everyone agrees social media is a cancer, I honestly don't see the problem in adding a layer that reduces the users and makes it more business centric (assuming that's the goal).

I mean you have a platform that gives people like us DIRECT ACCESS to almost anyone. Why NOT charge for it?

Though I can additionally see media outlets (among others) wanting a cut of that revenue...like say if people are paying to see Adam Schefter content, why wouldn't ESPN want a cut of that?

If he's successful, I wouldn't be surprised to see Meta follow suit.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Imagine using a social media platform where the main business is collecting and selling your data and then users saying, "Yes thank you. Can I now pay you for collecting and selling my data?" Hilarious

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote