Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XFL returning?
Looks like Vince McMahon has sold 100 mil in stock and retrademarked the XFL brands...

With the wussifiying of the NFL and the refs meddling in every game.    I think its a great time for the XFL to return and id watch it over the what the is NFL  is now anyday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/21/vince-mcmahon-sells-100-million-of-wwe-stock-as-xfl-reboot-plan-continues/
Reply/Quote
I loved the XFL. I'm just hoping Vince takes his time with this version unlike the first time. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
It’s actually a good move when considering the state of the nfl today vs. 16yrs ago. Nfl has lost viewers for several reasons which leaves a market for millions of fans who love football but dislike the nfl. Or at least it seems like a good move at first glance.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 08:27 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: It’s actually a good move when considering the state of the nfl today vs. 16yrs ago. Nfl has lost viewers for several reasons which leaves a market for millions of fans who love football but dislike the nfl. Or at least it seems like a good move at first glance.

I'd rather glance more at the Lingerie League...

[Image: depositphotos_17548545-stock-photo-team-euphoria.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 05:36 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'd rather glance more at the Lingerie League...

My wife would kill me. I';; stick to NFL and XFL.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 11:09 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Looks like Vince McMahon has sold 100 mil in stock and retrademarked the XFL brands...

With the wussifiying of the NFL and the refs meddling in every game.    I think its a great time for the XFL to return and id watch it over the what the is NFL  is now anyday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/21/vince-mcmahon-sells-100-million-of-wwe-stock-as-xfl-reboot-plan-continues/

The XFL would play under similar rules as the NFL when it comes to player safety otherwise they would suffer far worse lawsuits. You can't forget everything we have learned over the years and turn back the clocks on play style. Football in itself is a stupidly dangerous sport that probably own't exist in 20 years. I love it as much as the next guy, but when you put emotion aside it is really really dumb that we actually think repeatedly running into each other with near car crash force is a good idea. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 09:37 AM)Au165 Wrote: The XFL would play under similar rules as the NFL when it comes to player safety otherwise they would suffer far worse lawsuits. You can't forget everything we have learned over the years and turn back the clocks on play style. Football in itself is a stupidly dangerous sport that probably own't exist in 20 years. I love it as much as the next guy, but when you put emotion aside it is really really dumb that we actually think repeatedly running into each other with near car crash force is a good idea. 

Teddy Roosevelt lobbied for major changes because he felt the same way.

The game will continue to change today to enable the game to survive, just as it did back in Teddy's day.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 05:36 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'd rather glance more at the Lingerie League...

The LFL...it never fails to entertain!  Excited
Reply/Quote
Need good players. Get college players who want paid. Along with nfl free agents.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 09:06 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Teddy Roosevelt lobbied for major changes because he felt the same way.

The game will continue to change today to enable the game to survive, just as it did back in Teddy's day.

That's a nice thought, but it's different. The changes back then were to take unnecessary brutality out of the game. Today the issue is the fundamental basis of the game doesn't work with the size and speed of humans. We run too fast at too large of sizes creating collisions that generate minor car crashes on the field repeatedly. Unless the plan is to remove the collisions (At that point I wouldn't all it football) then there isn't a whole lot they can do. 

Throughout history we have done things that at the time seemed fine, but only later we realized how dumb it really was. That is how kids played with mercury in schools, and we painted houses and other items with lead paint. Only years later we realize just how ignorant we were to what we were doing. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 09:37 AM)Au165 Wrote: The XFL would play under similar rules as the NFL when it comes to player safety otherwise they would suffer far worse lawsuits. You can't forget everything we have learned over the years and turn back the clocks on play style. Football in itself is a stupidly dangerous sport that probably own't exist in 20 years. I love it as much as the next guy, but when you put emotion aside it is really really dumb that we actually think repeatedly running into each other with near car crash force is a good idea. 

You can if its in the contracts the players agree to sign...
Reply/Quote

Dude boxing has been around for just as long, UFC is huge, Hockey, Rugby, Extreme sports and Lacrosse all have similar issues to football. Hell Soccer has a CTE issue as well.  Football is to big and to powerful to go away and even if it did other sports will follow.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 05:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: You can if its in the contracts the players agree to sign...

There are actually a lot of issues here. One for instance is you can't sign negligence away. The NFL as an employer has a responsibility to protect their employees to the best of their ability, the same way your workplace does. There are risks to many jobs, however in these cases government regulators tend to step in to tell the business/industry certain standards they must enact to protected their employees. They in the past hid those dangers from their players, see CTE info they didn't release, and they even encouraged dangerous behavior ("Jacked up"). In the not so distant future the NFL, as a means to avoid future lawsuits, very well may have to announce publicly that everyone who plays the game basically has CTE. Government regulators could say tackling is now banned, or that a concussion requires athletes to sit out 45 days similar to boxing and MMA rules on being knocked out. 

What does something like that do to the sport? If Tom Brady got a concussion and now has to sit out for what amounts to 6 weeks of the season can the sport survive knowing that a large portion of their players do get concussions? I don't know, but while people look to boxing and MMA the reality is Football is worse. It has been said that an NFL lineman basically suffers the same trauma as a boxing match every game due to 40ish head on collisions into the guy across from him. The issue is that trauma occurs weekly instead of months apart like Boxing and MMA bouts. Boxing and MMA are also doing more to protect their athletes, In Nevada they are implementing post fight CT scans so they can basically see what is going on. As mentioned above they have mandatory no work out periods after a knock out (Major Concussion). 

I know I kind of combined a reply to you and another person, but the reality is thinking something will always exist because it has is kind of sticking our head in the sand. We are still early in the CTE era and I think as we continue to learn more we will figure out an expectation of these type of games every week is simply not safe for the human body. 
Reply/Quote
If the XFL can secure actual NFL talent then it might have a chance. Right now I'm just picturing Dontay Moch chasing down Zach Mettenberger as he looks to complete a pass to Victor Cruz.

Other professional football leagues have existed, but they came to be when NFL salaries were stagnant and players could be lured to other organizations with higher paychecks. If the NFL is going to give Kirk Cousins $30+ million every year I can't see the XFL actually getting top-level talent. Add in the fact that fans are probably going to want to see players get injured and concussed on every play and only former players on the dole are going to show up to play. I mean, honestly...who is the best NFL player you can picture leaving the NFL in order to play in the XFL?

I will say that Vince McMahon will do this in order to dupe a bunch of investors into covering the costs and it won't even matter if the league sinks because other people will be holding the bag.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 02:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If the XFL can secure actual NFL talent then it might have a chance.  Right now I'm just picturing Dontay Moch chasing down Zach Mettenberger as he looks to complete a pass to Victor Cruz.

Other professional football leagues have existed, but they came to be when NFL salaries were stagnant and players could be lured to other organizations with higher paychecks.  If the NFL is going to give Kirk Cousins $30+ million every year I can't see the XFL actually getting top-level talent.  Add in the fact that fans are probably going to want to see players get injured and concussed on every play and only former players on the dole are going to show up to play.  I mean, honestly...who is the best NFL player you can picture leaving the NFL in order to play in the XFL?

I will say that Vince McMahon will do this in order to dupe a bunch of investors into covering the costs and it won't even matter if the league sinks because other people will be holding the bag.

True,

But there is a ton of players every year left out in the cold when it comes to NFL contracts.   Plus Vince could find a lot of future wrestlers there  Some of these vets getting vet min and younger players could decide to go straight there..

With the Arena league Folding you have that pool of players as well.  There are guys out there.. Its not gonna start at the level of comp the NFL is for sure.   But doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun to watch lol.

As of now though still just something floating out there I don't know how far along they are with all the planning and finding investors/cities
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 05:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: True, But there is a ton of players every year left out in the cold when it comes to NFL contracts.   Plus Vince could find a lot of future wrestlers there  Some of these vets getting vet min and younger players could decide to go straight there.. With the Arena league Folding you have that pool of players as well.  There are guys out there.. Its not gonna start at the level of comp the NFL is for sure.   But doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun to watch lol. As of now though still just something floating out there I don't know how far along they are with all the planning and finding investors/cities

I don't have a dissertation on why the XFL failed to my name, but I seem to recall the issues being a lack of talent and a bizarre set of rules that changed multiple times during the only season.  In fact, the goofy brawl for the ball instead of the coin flip was scrapped once it was clear it was too good at injuring players.  So the past XFL wasn't against softening the game to protect players.

And as for players choosing to go to the XFL instead of being the 3rd or 4th string on an NFL team...that COULD happen, but I'm not sure how many actual NFL players left the NFL to play for a league that could fold at any moment.  Plus, I'd wager every NFL player spent his whole life dreaming of hoisting the Lombardi, not winning some sort of championship XFL belt or whatever.

As I said before, in days where the NFL has QBs like Josh McCown and Tom Savage playing the odds of a secondary league having enough players to even make games interesting sounds dire.  I recall watching part of one XFL game and seeing Jim Druckenmiller hand the ball to Rasuaun Salaam really had me shaking my head.  
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 06:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't have a dissertation on why the XFL failed to my name, but I seem to recall the issues being a lack of talent and a bizarre set of rules that changed multiple times during the only season.  In fact, the goofy brawl for the ball instead of the coin flip was scrapped once it was clear it was too good at injuring players.  So the past XFL wasn't against softening the game to protect players.

And as for players choosing to go to the XFL instead of being the 3rd or 4th string on an NFL team...that COULD happen, but I'm not sure how many actual NFL players left the NFL to play for a league that could fold at any moment.  Plus, I'd wager every NFL player spent his whole life dreaming of hoisting the Lombardi, not winning some sort of championship XFL belt or whatever.

As I said before, in days where the NFL has QBs like Josh McCown and Tom Savage playing the odds of a secondary league having enough players to even make games interesting sounds dire.  I recall watching part of one XFL game and seeing Jim Druckenmiller hand the ball to Rasuaun Salaam really had me shaking my head.  

What I don't get is why compete with the NFL when you can compete with NCAA. Sign these upcoming talents and pay them 100,000 a year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 11:56 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: What I don't get is why compete with the NFL when you can compete with NCAA. Sign these upcoming talents and pay them 100,000 a year.

This is where the business model is. With the NFL's rules about being removed from high school for 3 years a high school kid who has no interest in college could go play in a league getting paid while he waits for his clock to run out. 
Reply/Quote
McMahon to make major announcement today according to ESPN.... XFL 2.0 here we go..
Reply/Quote
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/25/vince-mcmahon-vows-higher-quality-play-in-the-new-xfl/
Reply/Quote