Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yahoo! Agrees That It Was A Blown Call
I received backlash for saying that the helmet-to-helmet hit was a bad call because Hilton was going at Johnson low and then Johnson lowered his head to initiate the helmet-to-helmet, and Yahoo! agrees with me:

Quote:Yahoo Sports
NFL can't allow blown call on Bengals-Jets helmet collision to happen
Jason Owens
Jason Owens
Sun, October 31, 2021, 8:37 PM
Officials at Sunday's New York Jets-Cincinnati Bengals game had their hearts in the right place.

Their heads? They appeared to be elsewhere.

A blatant error in the name of player safety cost the Bengals a rightful chance at a final possession in their 34-31 loss to the Jets. With 2:00 remaining, Jets quarterback Mike White looked to running back Ty Johnson in the flat on a third-and-11 play from the New York 21-yard line. The play never stood a chance.

Bengals cornerback Mike Hilton sniffed it out and tackled Johnson for a 1-yard loss. The play should have resulted in the Jets facing fourth-and-12 from the New York 20-yard line with around 1:50 remaining and the Bengals holding three timeouts — more than enough time for an offense featuring the Joe Burrow-Ja'Marr Chase connection to score a game-tying field goal or a go-ahead touchdown.

Would-be Bengals stop ends up a Jets first down

But they never got the chance. A yellow flag nullified the stop and awarded the Jets a first down. They capitalized by running out the clock to secure the upset and victory for White in his debut as an NFL starter.

Oct 31, 2021; East Rutherford, New Jersey, USA; Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Mike Hilton (21) is penalized for a helmet-to-helmet hit on New York Jets running back Ty Johnson (25) in the fourth quarter during a Week 8 NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 31, 2021, at MetLife Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports
Player safety should be paramount. So should getting calls right when brain health is at risk. (Vincent Carchietta/Reuters)
Flag was right, but wrong player was punished

The penalty? Unnecessary roughness. Hilton and Johnson made helmet-to-helmet contact on the tackle, and line judge Tripp Sutter flagged Hilton for the infraction, setting the Jets up with first down at their own 35-yard line.

Sutter was right to throw a flag. The helmet-to-helmet collision is the exact kind of brain-damage inducing violence the NFL is desperately attempting to legislate out of the game. He just penalized the wrong player.

Replay clearly shows Hilton lowering his body to attempt a legal tackle targeting Johnson's thigh pads. Johnson — at the very last moment — lowered his head, which initiated the helmet-to-helmet collision that put the health of both players at risk.

Like I said, we had momentum and we at least had a very good shot to tie the game, if not win it, and the penalty should have been on them, which would have set us up even better.

This one bullshit call could have season-altering ramifications.

That's our luck............
Reply/Quote
I don't recall seeing anyone say it wasn't a bad call. I might have overlooked some posts though. It seems the overall consensus is that it was a mistake.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Yeah, it was a pretty terrible call and came at the worst time. Made my stomach turn.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 11:44 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I don't recall seeing anyone say it wasn't a bad call. I might have overlooked some posts though. It seems the overall consensus is that it was a mistake.

It might have just been on Facebook but people were definitely saying it
Reply/Quote
Every sports outlet I've seen this morning is calling it a horrible call.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 11:51 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: It might have just been on Facebook but people were definitely saying it

Oh, I see.  I don't do Facebook.    :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 11:49 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, it was a pretty terrible call and came at the worst time. Made my stomach turn.

Yeah. We were in The Tavern screaming at the TV
Reply/Quote
NFL has an issue with the helmet to helmet rule. It's only one sided. The offensive player can lower their helmet and initiate the helmet to helmet contact but it's never called. The rule is only there to protect the offensive player, not the defensive one. It should go both ways.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
GMF didn’t even show the play or mention the call. Not a word.
Reply/Quote
Someone should check both that ref and all his family/friends to see if any of them had money on the Jets, especially to win as opposed to cover. If any of them did go public immediately and demand his firing.
Reply/Quote
The issue people had with your original post wasn’t about the call being wrong it was you saying that’s what cost them the game.
They should have played their best and they wouldn’t have needed that call to have a chance. I don’t even care about the call because they did so many other things wrong - they did not play good enough to win and got their butts kicked by a bunch of scrubs…
Reply/Quote
I said it in another thread and i'll say it here. This needs to be reviewable to get it right. They do in College so why not here? That said it probably wouldn't be overturned considering they didn't even review the before half "TD" the Jets got that clearly wasn't.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
So.... what's the NFL gonna do about it? They need to make an effort to ensure some BS call like that never happens again... MAKE IT CHALLENGEABLE/REVIEWABLE!
Reply/Quote
doesnt matter... That call isnt why they lost...
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 12:41 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: The issue people had with your original post wasn’t about the call being wrong it was you saying that’s what cost them the game.
They should have played their best and they wouldn’t have needed that call to have a chance. I don’t even care about the call because they did so many other things wrong -  they did not play good enough to win and got their butts kicked by a bunch of scrubs…
I think that's where most folks are. Crappy call but kinda like being mad about the fabric pattern of the chairs on the Titanic
(11-01-2021, 12:47 PM)cinci4life Wrote: I said it in another thread and i'll say it here. This needs to be reviewable to get it right. They do in College so why not here? That said it probably wouldn't be overturned considering they didn't even review the before half "TD" the Jets got that clearly wasn't.

Not 100% but I think all they review in college is the 'targeting" aspect of the play. The personal foul remains.

WTS, we must be careful what we want to be challenged. Because then I'd assume it could go both ways. A tackle not called for penalty could be reviewed and then we're headed down a slippery slope..

We didn't play good enough to win and to be honest: I'd felt a little bad for the Jets if we had won. They pulled out all the stops and beat us
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 12:47 PM)cinci4life Wrote: I said it in another thread and i'll say it here. This needs to be reviewable to get it right. They do in College so why not here? That said it probably wouldn't be overturned considering they didn't even review the before half "TD" the Jets got that clearly wasn't.

BFine just mentioned that it's a slippery slope because the calls could be challenged either way.  Which is a potential.  

There's also the issue of slowing the game down even more with more challenges.  If the call gets overturned and a coach keeps his challenge flag, can you imagine how many times this could come up in games (especially with recurring calls like holding)?  

And finally, NFL refs are treated differently than college refs.  It's a very high profile job.  Those guys get graded on their games, but they get graded behind the scenes not on nationally televised games by being called out.  Not saying that's the driving factor, but considering the position I'm also not surprised the league hasn't opened them up to more criticism on their skills.  

It was a bad call, no doubt.  But I don't think it's even worth discussing unless it decided the game.  
Reply/Quote
Whats it matter at this point?

At that stage of the game the Jets should have already been blown out.

They were better yesterday. Let's all just move on.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 01:37 PM)motoarch Wrote: Whats it matter at this point?

At that stage of the game the Jets should have already been blown out.

They were better yesterday.  Let's all just move on.

Right yesterday both teams played like our records were reversed.
Reply/Quote
This is going to be another Ryan Shazier situation. Someone is going to get badly hurt because the NFL is ignoring an obvious problem.

You just can't argue that Hilton initiated the contact when he already had his helmet to the side and at hip level. Unless you want to argue that he was trying to spear the guy in the groin. It became helmet to helmet only because the offensive player created it.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 12:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: GMF didn’t even show the play or mention the call. Not a word.

They don't cross the NFL 

From Peter King's column

Quote:Dumb Penalty Of The Week 

It’s customary in the NFL to ***** about officials’ calls. I don’t write about them much because who cares? Every team gets crappy calls. But there was one penalty Sunday that truly bothered me, and it should bother the NFL. Using the helmet to initiate contact, quite simply, is unfairly meted out by officials. The defensive player is the one called for the penalty far more often, even if both players lower heads to initiate contact.
The crap call happened at the Meadowlands, with two minutes left in Bengals-Jets. New York led 34-31, with a third-and-11 at the Jet 20-yard line. Mike White threw a short pass out wide to Ty Johnson, and Cincinnati corner Mike Hilton moved in for the tackle. Defenders are taught to not use their helmets to initiate contact with another player’s helmet, and Hilton, as he was supposed to do, moved in very low on Johnson, his head nowhere near Johnson’s head. At the last moment, Johnson ducked his head, and the two helmets made contact. A flag was thrown—15 yards for illegal use of the helmet on Hilton.

If the call was either not made or called on the Jets, it would have been fourth down for the Jets deep in their own territory. And assuming Cincinnati would have taken its first timeout there, it’s likely Joe Burrow would have gotten the ball back, with two timeouts, at around his own 30-yard line with 1:40 to play, needing a field goal to tie. Who knows if he gets the 40 yards to do that, but the flag on Hilton meant the Bengals never saw the ball again. Even if the officials called offsetting fouls, the Jets would have had to convert a third-and-11 to keep the ball away from Cincinnati.

“When are the officials going to start calling helmet-to-helmet on the ballcarrier?” asked former New England and Kansas City personnel czar Scott Pioli.
That’s a question the officiating department should answer this week. The vagaries of the call might have decided a game Sunday.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote