Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yahoo Journalism
So I came across this link on Yahoo.

http://www.popsugar.com/moms/Transfer-Laws-Preventing-Black-Boy-From-Enrolling-School-40343756

After reading the whole article you find that these laws also effect white kids as well.

This is what I am talking about.  This article is written and titled in a way to perpetuate the belief that blacks are being singled out.

If you tell someone over and over that they are being singled out, then that is what they will believe is the truth.

However as it says that the end of the article white kids are also affected by these laws as well.  I wonder how many of the white kids have been victims of this law, but never once thought about it due to being to the opposite... which is that you aren't oppressed, you aren't a victim.

I wouldn't say that we should just tell whites to look for victimhood status either.  Just that they should be aware that not every story about oppression of other races is true.  Black people should be on the lookout for obvious spin articles like this and pay them no mind.  The comment section of the article does give me hope that more people are actually catching this.  However there are still a few that want to hold onto false notions.

Should the law be changed?  That is up to the people of that state to decide.  However I don't see why it couldn't change. 
It's the result of a court ruling from 1983 where the St Louis county schools were primarily white while the city schools were primarily black. It allows for them to transfer black students to county schools and white students to city schools.

It may be a bit outdated for 2016, it may not be. As a teacher, it's my opinion that no transferring should be allowed. If you move out of a school district, you can no longer attend that school district. If the charter school is only offered to city residents, then you have to be a city resident. They shouldn't have to give a spot up to a county resident who most likely lives in a better school system than what the city offers.

As for the journalism, this is from a pop culture website, popsugar. What does everyone expect? The unfortunate side effect of the internet is the expansion of what constitutes "journalism". It seems like Salon, who was criticized for similar errors in reporting, updated their story to reflect the reality of the situation.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-28-2016, 10:09 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's the result of a court ruling from 1983 where the St Louis county schools were primarily white while the city schools were primarily black. It allows for them to transfer black students to county schools and white students to city schools.

It may be a bit outdated for 2016, it may not be. As a teacher, it's my opinion that no transferring should be allowed. If you move out of a school district, you can no longer attend that school district. If the charter school is only offered to city residents, then you have to be a city resident. They shouldn't have to give a spot up to a county resident who most likely lives in a better school system than what the city offers.

As for the journalism, this is from a pop culture website, popsugar. What does everyone expect? The unfortunate side effect of the internet is the expansion of what constitutes "journalism". It seems like Salon, who was criticized for similar errors in reporting, updated their story to reflect the reality of the situation.

Interesting take on the law and your opinion on the transfer.  Grateful to hear it.

You are right, and I knew that the source is not real "journalism".  However as I said, it was on the Yahoo.com main page.  So for other less selective people, this would constitute as "news".  The dangers is as I have said.  It further continues notions based off of falsehoods.

Glad to hear Salon (they are big offenders) is being held more accountable.
(02-28-2016, 10:51 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: Interesting take on the law and your opinion on the transfer.  Grateful to hear it.

You are right, and I knew that the source is not real "journalism".  However as I said, it was on the Yahoo.com main page.  So for other less selective people, this would constitute as "news".  The dangers is as I have said.  It further continues notions based off of falsehoods.

Glad to hear Salon (they are big offenders) is being held more accountable.

this is one of the problems with "news sites" people go to stay outside main stream media. They're businesses, not news services.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-28-2016, 07:53 PM)Benton Wrote: this is one of the problems with "news sites" people go to stay outside main stream media. They're businesses, not news services.

I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with going to alternative news sites.  The MSM itself can be biased or miss a lot of information that you could get from the alternative.

However, even when I go to the alternative sites, I fact check the information.  I am sure others on here do the same.

The problem is not everyone fact checks.  Again creating perspectives based off of a false "report".
(02-28-2016, 10:09 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's the result of a court ruling from 1983 where the St Louis county schools were primarily white while the city schools were primarily black. It allows for them to transfer black students to county schools and white students to city schools.

agreed. You go to school where you live. If you want alternatives then look at private or home school.
(02-29-2016, 07:29 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: agreed.   You go to school where you live.   If you want alternatives then look at private or home school.

I am a big advocate of home schooling.
(02-29-2016, 08:17 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: I am a big advocate of home schooling.

Same here. I think we should be cutting ties to the government whenever possible.