Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yahoo Sports Has Derwin Falling To Us........
(03-20-2018, 06:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's how the traditional Bengals organization would have done it.  But, this is the new and improved Bengals philosophy of football management that we're talking about here.

They could draft a guy like James, and if he impresses in preseason, they could trade Williams for a 2019 3rd round pick and have extra cap room to Geno extended.  Win-Win

You, my friend, are aboard the Optimism Express.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 06:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why would you cut Williams?  When you can trade him.  Someone is going to get injured, and a team will need a proven starter.  Happens every year, seemingly.

That’s ideal, but it’s a big IF.

If we can do that without pissing off Geno, then I’m all for it. I just don’t want to take the risk of not being able to extend Atkins.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 06:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That’s ideal, but it’s a big IF.

If we can do that without pissing off Geno, then I’m all for it. I just don’t want to take the risk of not being able to extend Atkins.

If you simply cut Williams, then you have dead cap to deal with and it weakens the financial gain.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I would be open to the pick of course if he fell to 21 but i just don't see it happening.

Who knows though, i have been surprised every draft with players falling further than i thought they would.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 09:36 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Derwin James was my man-crush early on and he's who I wanted, but then, as his stock kept rising, coupled with the fact that I was coming around to the fact that we needed to make sure that we took care of our offensive line in the first round, I had pretty much written off wanting to draft him.

However, with the addition of Glenn, possibly Hart (if he pans out), Pollack's coaching, and draft pick's outside the first round, this mock draft on Yahoo! has the idea swimming around in my head again:

James is a hell of a center fielder and can also play in the box, and I'm thinking that our pass rush should be greatly improved this year, and Derwin is the playmaker that we need on the back end of the defense.

Do you think James falls?  Is it a no-brainer to take him if he does or do we need to take Price?  Are Daniels and Ragnow good enough to make it ok to risk Price not falling to us in two?

If he's there, he's more than likely the BPA and you take him without batting an eye.  Top 10 type of talent.

Then you make a couple of bold moves and get back into the end of the first round and grab a C.

For the record - i'd be shocked if he's still around that late.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 09:36 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Derwin James was my man-crush early on and he's who I wanted, but then, as his stock kept rising, coupled with the fact that I was coming around to the fact that we needed to make sure that we took care of our offensive line in the first round, I had pretty much written off wanting to draft him.

However, with the addition of Glenn, possibly Hart (if he pans out), Pollack's coaching, and draft pick's outside the first round, this mock draft on Yahoo! has the idea swimming around in my head again:

James is a hell of a center fielder and can also play in the box, and I'm thinking that our pass rush should be greatly improved this year, and Derwin is the playmaker that we need on the back end of the defense.

Do you think James falls?  Is it a no-brainer to take him if he does or do we need to take Price?  Are Daniels and Ragnow good enough to make it ok to risk Price not falling to us in two?

I'd be elated if he drops.  He is a true impact defensive player.   I recall the difference having Nelson back there made and the delight the Steelers players voiced when he left in FA.

He's not as fast as Nelson was coming out, but probably is as fast as he was by the time he came to us.

And he's  a firebrand.   I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 06:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why would you cut Williams?  When you can trade him.  Someone is going to get injured, and a team will need a proven starter.  Happens every year, seemingly.

Don't cut or trade him. You move him into the LB corp and tell him to cover TE's and read and react faster than he does now. Use him like the Rams do Mark Barron and call it a day. 
Reply/Quote

You're banking on someone trading for him, which it's not a guarantee, and we could be using his money to lock-up Geno (and Dunlap, but Geno's the top priority, obviously).
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 02:06 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You're banking on someone trading for him, which it's not a guarantee, and we could be using his money to lock-up Geno (and Dunlap, but Geno's the top priority, obviously).

Let Derwin earn the spot in camp...  If needed can be a final cut or there can always be trades near final cuts too (nelson was one leonard  etc...)  

But I don't know even if hes there @ 21 if they jump depending on whos higher on their board and still available.

Although hes definitely an option we are considering... (of course that could have been when we were picking @ 12)

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/3/21/17144922/bengals-hit-florida-state-pro-day-and-chat-with-derwin-james
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 02:46 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Let Derwin earn the spot in camp...  If needed can be a final cut or there can always be trades near final cuts too (nelson was one leonard  etc...)  

But I don't know even if hes there @ 21 if they jump depending on whos higher on their board and still available.

Although hes definitely an option we are considering... (of course that could have been when we were picking @ 12)

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/3/21/17144922/bengals-hit-florida-state-pro-day-and-chat-with-derwin-james

I know there's a date when we'd have to sign a franchise player to a long-term contract, and that's before training camp, but is it the same date for any player under contract or can any player under contract sign a new deal before the season starts?
Reply/Quote