Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yes or No? Drafting a Center
Bodine's been here for two years. Based on what you've seen, if you were calling the shots, do you draft competition for the starting center spot?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Yes.

He gets knocked into the backfield too much.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Yes. We should also be looking at guard depth as we have none.

I still like Evan Boehm from Mizzou.
True power center who understands leverage and is light on his feet in pass pro.
Not a great athlete but can still be viable at the 2nd level.

He's a nasty blocker who will bury guys.
Reply/Quote
Yes, even if it if for nothing more than depth on the interior TJ Johnson is a FA and has given us no reason to bring him back.

A Center that I have been told is very strong and kinda nasty is Kyle Friend (Temple)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 06:03 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Bodine's been here for two years.  Based on what you've seen, if you were calling the shots, do you draft  competition for the starting center spot?

I say yes.  I also say it probably won't happen unless the board falls right, if then.  Depends if PA is still jumping on tables for Bodine.

Haven't had a put him there and forget about him C since Richie.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Hell yeah

Initially my HS bias has me wanting Kelly but Idk.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 06:03 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Bodine's been here for two years.  Based on what you've seen, if you were calling the shots, do you draft  competition for the starting center spot?

I think we should look to upgrade and then maybe this will push Bodine, if anything it could allow us to move him into a reserve roll where he backs up a new center and is backup guard as well.
Reply/Quote

I would draft a Center if I could get an upgrade in the first two rounds. Would love to get the Alabama kid. But we also have to deal with who departs in free agency. With several former coaches with other teams, we might lose some guys that we'll have to replace in the draft.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 02:32 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I would draft a Center if I could get an upgrade in the first two rounds. Would love to get the Alabama kid. But we also have to deal with who departs in free agency. With several former coaches with other teams, we might lose some guys that we'll have to replace in the draft.

As much as I love OL, you can't invest a 3rd premium pick in 2 years on it. 
This is probably the best center class in years and there will be upgrades throughout the draft. 
Blythe, Friend and Boehm all 3-4th rounders probably. All upgrades. 
Reply/Quote

I would. The Bengals should.

For Bodine putting up so many reps on the bench at the combine, he sure doesn't seem to be able to translate that to pushing DL backwards. Instead, it's usually the opposite.

I too think that the Bengals will not invest a high-round pick on a center. WR, DB, and probably DL all will come before a C would be drafted.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would. The Bengals should.

For Bodine putting up so many reps on the bench at the combine, he sure doesn't seem to be able to translate that to pushing DL backwards. Instead, it's usually the opposite.

I too think that the Bengals will not invest a high-round pick on a center. WR, DB, and probably DL all will come before a C would be drafted.

[Image: 3743114518_hmmmm_house_md_9966199_279_30...large.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would. The Bengals should.

Bench press means nothing if you don't have the technique and core to put it to good use. 

Short squatty players like Bodine have to play with great leverage and use their hands exceptionally well. He doesn't. 
Evan Boehm is a guy many will try to compare to Bodine but the tape tells two different tales.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:23 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Bench press means nothing if you don't have the technique and core to put it to good use. 

Short squatty players like Bodine have to play with great leverage and use their hands exceptionally well. He doesn't. 
Evan Boehm is a guy many will try to compare to Bodine but the tape tells two different tales.

Right. I understand this (and understood it back when Bodine was drafted), but it doesn't seem the Bengals did/do.

And you're right. Boehm has shown his ability to be a mauler on the field. That sets him apart from being just gym strong. That boy country strong!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Well, whomever it is that is doing the choosing needs to re-evaluate their criteria so a better prospect is chosen next time (Piano Man?)

We have yet to find Richie Braham's successor obviously, and that's what we need.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 04:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Right. I understand this (and understood it back when Bodine was drafted), but it doesn't seem the Bengals did/do.

And you're right. Boehm has shown his ability to be a mauler on the field. That sets him apart from being just gym strong. That boy country strong!

I think they valued other things about him (off-field and being able to make line calls) more so than his actual on-field abilities and used the "strength" to sell it because casual fans wouldn't fully get all of the other stuff, it's why hype is so big around bench with linemen

(01-14-2016, 04:52 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Well, whomever it is that is doing the choosing needs to re-evaluate their criteria so a better prospect is chosen next time (Piano Man?)

We have yet to find Richie Braham's successor obviously, and that's what we need.

Kyle Cook was a good player for 3 1/2 years. Injuries tanked the later part of his career and eventually forced his retirement. 
Reply/Quote
Yes, if we find one in range. Don't want is teaching just because we have to have one.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 05:28 PM)hitchopottimus Wrote: Yes, if we find one in range. Don't want is teaching just because we have to have one.

They won't. That's how we ended up with what we have now. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 05:24 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I think they valued other things about him (off-field and being able to make line calls) more so than his actual on-field abilities and used the "strength" to sell it because casual fans wouldn't fully get all of the other stuff, it's why hype is so big around bench with linemen

Kyle Cook was a good player for 3 1/2 years. Injuries tanked the later part of his career and eventually forced his retirement. 

You're right, I forgot about Cook. If only he could have stayed healthy....

I think some of this depends on how successful we'll be in re-signing our own FA's, and what draft picks we may need to use to fill in for whatever losses we experience. Spending a high pick on a center may not be a luxury the team is willing or able  to spend. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 06:12 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: You're right, I forgot about Cook. If only he could have stayed healthy....

I think some of this depends on how successful we'll be in re-signing our own FA's, and what draft picks we may need to use to fill in for whatever losses we experience. Spending a high pick on a center may not be a luxury the team is willing or able  to spend. 

I don't think they will after 2 picks on the OL last year in 1 and 2. 

I think our best bet is a guy like Blythe or Boehm in the 3-5 range. 
Reply/Quote
I always laugh at the guys that want to have people switch positions, but I really wonder if Boling might be our starting center next year.
Reply/Quote