Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Can't Fumble 2 Punt Returns And Still Win
It is the worst turnover in football. It completely destroys all that the Head Coach and Coaches are doing, and wipes out all that the Defensive Players and Offensive Players are doing. For it to happen once in a game is a nightmare. Twice in a game is unheard of.

The Defense makes a good stand, 49ers have to punt. The Bengals offense set to take the field. Except Bengals punt returners feet are not set, he dives for the ball as he misplays it and fumbles it. 49ers who were stopped by Bengals defense now after punt have the ball in the Red Zone area for an easy score. Then later the Bengals defense makes a good stand and forces 49ers to punt. This time the same Bengals punt returner misplays the ball again, and instead of going into his hands, the ball hits him in the head and the facemask of his helmet and 49ers get another free gift fumble to put them again in Red Zone area for a second easy score.

After 2 fumbled punt returns, take the entire playbook and throw it in the garbage. Everything the Coaches and Players are doing is wiped out by not 1, but 2 fumbled punt returns.

Now we are never suppose to single out people in defeat, and yet the Coach and Quarterback get singled out all the time. I will single out the punt returner Phillips who was benched after this and Boyd took over catching punts. Now I assume this guy gets paid to catch punts, that would be his primary job. He doesn't have a second job working at Dunkin Donuts or anything, this guy gets paid good money to basically do one thing, catch punts. After yesterday he would be cleaning out his locker and gone. He would be fired. There are many who can field punts to be hired to replace Phillips. They don't have to make touchdown runs, just don't give the other team easy points with fumbles.

That the Bengals still took a good team like 49ers into overtime shows the great comeback by Coaches and Players, but teams that fumble 2 punt returns in a game are doomed right there. That the 49ers won in overtime is in thanks to the gift points Phillips gave them for 2 easy scores after the Bengals defense had forced 49ers to punt. There just can be no other way to look at it. You don't muff punts and give the ball back for 2 easy scores and win.

If Phillips is still on this team next game, Bengals are too kind or too blind. He has showed he is not a good punt returner. His inability to catch punts is a complete waste of The Play Book, all Coaching and a waste of what other players are doing. It's just that simple. It's just that simple. The Bengals pay good money for that punt to be caught, not fumbled.

You can not have someone who fumbles 2 punt catches and gives the other team the ball back 40 to 60 yards down field in easy scoring position twice, and still win the football game.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Didn't he have three fumbles?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 03:54 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Didn't he have three fumbles?

3 fumbles 1 was recovered and Burrow almost had an INT but was saved by the penalty.

Play off teams play sharp down tge stretch. Bengals have never done that as far as I can remember
Reply/Quote
Yeah but they still could have won and were in position to do so. Phillips was almost soundly consider to be a liability back there long before this game. For all the bluster about, “you fans think you know as much as the coaches,” well the fact that someone in that building, from Simmons, Taylor to the front office didn’t do something makes them all neglectful. It blew up on them as many of us saw coming. Granted, not in such a spectacular fashion, but he always was wrong for being back there. O-line and returner, worst groups on the team since early in the year. Neither addressed, both cost the team.

You let them play, you get burned. This isn’t Burrow throwing a pick six or Mixon having a fumble or Bates giving up a big play. Phillips has been shown he is very bad at his position and left no doubt.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
I've been a Darius Phillips fan since the day we drafted him. His playmaking ability had me so excited.

But yesterday he almost singlehandedly lost that game. Yes, there were questionable calls and we could have blocked better and the def gave up the TD in OT, but none of that would have mattered without the two muffs. I don't know that I've seen one person so negatively affect a game all on their own.

They obviously don't need him to play corner. He sits behind Waynes, Awuzie, Hilton, Hargreaves, Flowers, and Davis. He's a liability in punt coverage. He should be cut today.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 04:06 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: 3 fumbles 1 was recovered and Burrow almost had an INT but was saved by the penalty.

Play off teams play sharp down tge stretch. Bengals have never done that as far as I can remember

Well, you could argue Chase would have been at the spot had he not had his face pushed back, so it's not like the interception was independent from the penalty :)
Reply/Quote
Look for Alex Erickson to get his old job back next week.

Oh wait, he's in Carolina on a one-year deal just short of $1 million.

Far as I know Pacman is available...
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 04:26 PM)wcu Wrote: I've been a Darius Phillips fan since the day we drafted him. His playmaking ability had me so excited.

But yesterday he almost singlehandedly lost that game. Yes, there were questionable calls and we could have blocked better and the def gave up the TD in OT, but none of that would have mattered without the two muffs. I don't know that I've seen one person so negatively affect a game all on their own.

They obviously don't need him to play corner. He sits behind Waynes, Awuzie, Hilton, Hargreaves, Flowers, and Davis. He's a liability in punt coverage. He should be cut today.

No almost about it.  He was responsible for 10 SF points.
Reply/Quote
Darius holds onto the punts and McMissing makes his FG, the game's not even close.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 08:14 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Look for Alex Erickson to get his old job back next week.

Pacman's in jail...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Musical tribute for half of Wilson-Philips by Wilson Philips

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 08:14 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Look for Alex Erickson to get his old job back next week.

I'm pretty sure he's doing some time right now.  Might be a good thing.  He might be in the clink doing nothing but lifting weights and fighting dudes.  He could be ready to field punts by the end of the month if his sentence is up.  Maybe Mikey could make a donation to get him out early on good behavior, lol.

All kidding aside, even as a player past his prime, I'd be willing to bet he could field punts without putting them on the turf, which would be an improvement.
Reply/Quote
You can’t fumble 2 punt returns and still win? Well,the Bengals fought and clawed their way back,tied the score,went into overtime,took the lead momentarily,and,of course they still lost,but that was a valiant effort by Burrow.Proud of him.Just wish when the game was on the line,instead of running it,that Zac would have let Burrow do his thing.

Burrow himself has said,”when the game is on the line,I want the ball in my hands.” And I don’t think he has any intentions of handing the ball off to a running back.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 03:51 PM)kevin Wrote: It is the worst turnover in football. It completely destroys all that the Head Coach and Coaches are doing, and wipes out all that the Defensive Players and Offensive Players are doing. For it to happen once in a game is a nightmare. Twice in a game is unheard of.

The Defense makes a good stand, 49ers have to punt. The Bengals offense set to take the field.  Except Bengals punt returners feet are not set, he dives for the ball as he misplays it and fumbles it.  49ers who were stopped by Bengals defense now after punt have the ball in the Red Zone area for an easy score.  Then later the Bengals defense makes a good stand and forces 49ers to punt.  This time the same Bengals punt returner misplays the ball again, and instead of going into his hands, the ball hits him in the head and the facemask of his helmet and 49ers get another free gift fumble to put them again in Red Zone area for a second easy score.  

After 2 fumbled punt returns, take the entire playbook and throw it in the garbage. Everything the Coaches and Players are doing is wiped out by not 1, but 2 fumbled punt returns.

Now we are never suppose to single out people in defeat, and yet the Coach and Quarterback get singled out all the time.  I will single out the punt returner Phillips who was benched after this and Boyd took over catching punts. Now I assume this guy gets paid to catch punts, that would be his primary job.  He doesn't have a second job working at Dunkin Donuts or anything, this guy gets paid good money to basically do one thing, catch punts.  After yesterday he would be cleaning out his locker and gone.  He would be fired. There are many who can field punts to be hired to replace Phillips. They don't have to make touchdown runs, just don't give the other team easy points with fumbles.

That the Bengals still took a good team like 49ers into overtime shows the great comeback by Coaches and Players,  but teams that fumble 2 punt returns in a game are doomed right there. That the 49ers won in overtime is in thanks to the gift points Phillips gave them for 2 easy scores after the Bengals defense had forced 49ers to punt. There just can be no other way to look at it.  You don't muff punts and give the ball back for 2 easy scores and win.

If Phillips is still on this team next game, Bengals are too kind or too blind. He has showed he is not a good punt returner.  His inability to catch punts is a complete waste of The Play Book, all Coaching and a waste of what other players are doing.  It's just that simple.  It's just that simple.  The Bengals pay good money for that punt to be caught, not fumbled.

You can not have someone who fumbles 2 punt catches and gives the other team the ball back 40 to 60 yards down field in easy scoring position twice, and still win the football game.

Need more Blocking...
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:09 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm pretty sure he's doing some time right now.  Might be a good thing.  He might be in the clink doing nothing but lifting weights and fighting dudes.  He could be ready to field punts by the end of the month if his sentence is up.  Maybe Mikey could make a donation to get him out early on good behavior, lol.

All kidding aside, even as a player past his prime, I'd be willing to bet he could field punts without putting them on the turf, which would be an improvement.

Hell yes he could.  What a talent.

Seriously, I didn't know he was incarcerated.  What a shame.  His time here was probably the best years of his life.  Really hope he can get it together.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 10:58 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: No almost about it.  He was responsible for 10 SF points.

Right.  So the 49ers would have scored only 10 points against the Bengals Defense.  Throw out overtime because Bengals win in regulation.  The Bengals Defense played well enough for Bengals to win 20 to 10.  

Pick 6's and things are going to happen.  What should never happen is fumbled of the punt or kick-off.   That Phillips fumbled what people are saying as 3 punts and of course 2 recovered by 49ers is so awful.  It makes me wonder if gamblers didn't pay him to throw the game.  Even the announcers said they have never seen anybody fumble that many punts in a game. 

To the person that said Bengals Clawed their way back, I ask, DID THEY WIN ?   As others blame the O Line or this or that,  it was Phillips who lost this game. 

Look, The Bengals Defense was stopping the 49ers and making them punt.  The 49ers should have only score 10 points against the Bengals Defense.  Twice the 49ers punted but thanks to Phillips the 49ers got the ball back in scoring position due to Phillips Butter Fingers.  The Defense had did their job, the final score should have been the Bengals winning in regulation with the 49ers only scoring 10 points. 

Now Phillips should be fired right now.  Either he is working with gamblers or he is the worst punt returner ever, either way he can't be trusted to do his job.  This is not school ball, The Man Gets Paid.  Now if they want to keep his as a defensive back, maybe, but he should never be in there to catch another punt or kick-off, because he completely stinks at it.  

Ruining what the Defense was doing,  giving the 49ers the ball over and over near the goal line after the Defense had stopped the 49ers and forced them to punt.   Look, they may keep him as a DB, but I wish they would just fire him now.  

So as people on this site blame so many others for this loss,  I'm sorry, It was Phillips who lost this game, Period, End Of Story.   49ers would have only score 10 points against The Bengals Defense if not for Phillips.   Now if the coaches have Phillips still catching punts against Denver, Baltimore. Kansas City and Cleveland, then the Coaches and Tobin need Fired because the 49ers game is the last time Phillips should ever be back to catch another punt for Bengals. 

I must add that I did not start this to open up a Pacman thread who is yesterdays news and long out of football.  I guarantee you there are a thousand college punt returners out of work who could do better than Phillips.  They may never make a big run back, but at least they could catch the ball, or make a fair catch, or let it just bounce untouched, anything but Fumble, Fumble, Fumble as Phillips does. No, we do not need always in trouble with the Police Pacman back, and isn't he pretty old now. His last season was 2018 and he is 38 now. In November he was sentenced for Assault, not his first arrest ever, and I'm sure the NFL would have him under Suspension if he were to try to come out of 3 year retirement. They do need to FIRE PHILLIPS, but why some are immediately thinking of an old retired dude in jail once again, makes no sense.

Again, Bengals Defense only allows 10 points to 49ers if not for Phillips blunders. This defeats the point of spending hundreds of millions the last 2 years to build this Defense. What good is a good defense, if you are going to fumble away every punt and give the other team the ball back in scoring position. Fire Phillips Now.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 03:51 PM)kevin Wrote: It is the worst turnover in football. It completely destroys all that the Head Coach and Coaches are doing, and wipes out all that the Defensive Players and Offensive Players are doing. For it to happen once in a game is a nightmare. Twice in a game is unheard of.

The Defense makes a good stand, 49ers have to punt. The Bengals offense set to take the field.  Except Bengals punt returners feet are not set, he dives for the ball as he misplays it and fumbles it.  49ers who were stopped by Bengals defense now after punt have the ball in the Red Zone area for an easy score.  Then later the Bengals defense makes a good stand and forces 49ers to punt.  This time the same Bengals punt returner misplays the ball again, and instead of going into his hands, the ball hits him in the head and the facemask of his helmet and 49ers get another free gift fumble to put them again in Red Zone area for a second easy score.  

Now we are never suppose to single out people in defeat, and yet the Coach and Quarterback get singled out all the time.  I will single out the punt returner Phillips who was benched after this and Boyd took over catching punts. Now I assume this guy gets paid to catch punts, that would be his primary job.  He doesn't have a second job working at Dunkin Donuts or anything, this guy gets paid good money to basically do one thing, catch punts.  After yesterday he would be cleaning out his locker and gone.  He would be fired. There are many who can field punts to be hired to replace Phillips. They don't have to make touchdown runs, just don't give the other team easy points with fumbles.

That the Bengals still took a good team like 49ers into overtime shows the great comeback by Coaches and Players,  but teams that fumble 2 punt returns in a game are doomed right there. That the 49ers won in overtime is in thanks to the gift points Phillips gave them for 2 easy scores after the Bengals defense had forced 49ers to punt. There just can be no other way to look at it.  You don't muff punts and give the ball back for 2 easy scores and win.

If Phillips is still on this team next game, Bengals are too kind or too blind. He has showed he is not a good punt returner.  His inability to catch punts is a complete waste of The Play Book, all Coaching and a waste of what other players are doing.  It's just that simple.  It's just that simple.  The Bengals pay good money for that punt to be caught, not fumbled.

It was demoralizing and an absolute gift to the 49ers....excuse me, gifts.  The defense had to go right back out on the field and yet, the team overcame them and was in position to win.

I get being upset at the playcalling with in OT after Burrow was moving them at will, but remember that he had three should have been INTs in the first half.  An INT there absolutely kills them.  I get why ZT thought the run might work, but then the play on 3rd down that led to a sack (again) didn't have a quick option for Joe.  They need Chase, who can uncover VERY quickly, to be the primary on plays like that and check it down to him one second after the snap.  If it is blocked up, Burrow can look for others down the field.  But on such a critical down, it needs a faster option.  That is the #1 problem I have with the ZT offense.  Think Brady hitting Wes Welker just to move the chains.  No one can cover that guy in short space.  Chase needs to be that guy on a 3rd and short pass.  
Reply/Quote
Those were both horrible mistakes. Someone in another thread said that it's more common than you think for the same punt returner to have two muffs in one game, but to me it's inexcusable.

It's to the Bengals' credit that the defense shut down the 49ers after both the muffs and that the offense was able to make a late comeback and force overtime. Unfortunately, the Bengal gaffes of the past couple of games have made Sunday's game in Denver a must-win because on paper it's the easiest opponent of the remaining four.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Darius holds onto the punts and McMissing makes his FG, the game's not even close.

Don't forget Chase's dropped TD... that drive ended in a FG.  There's 4 more points Bengals didn't get.
Reply/Quote
Phillips has played poorly all season. Even his fair catches are often questionable --like just let it go and go for the touchback dude! But yesterday was exceptional. His 2 lost fumbles definitely lost the game more than anything else we did in the game.

What is weird about Darius Phillips, is that his really poor play and decision making started about right after his cryptic Tweet about how his talent was being wasted last season. Personally, I'm ready for this team to move on from Darius Phillips.
Reply/Quote