Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Coach the Bengals - What Strategy Would You Use?
Name your strategy for both offense and defense. I see some small group of people predicting 10 wins from here. How will the Bengals do it? What strategy?

You coach the Bengals...talk about what you'd do.

Think Marvin is a bad coach? Now is your chance!
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 01:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Name your strategy for both offense and defense. I see some small group of people predicting 10 wins from here. How will the Bengals do it? What strategy?

For starters, as I said in a Ross thread, I start Ross out wide, start Erickson in the slot, WJIII at CB, Pacman gets return duty.  That's a start, in my opinion.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
On offense, I'd implement a WC offense. Our run blocking is actually way worse than our pass blocking...so I'd only run the ball an extremely low percentage of the time.

In it's place I'd do a lot of quick slants and I'd move the RB's around in motion to create 1 on 1 matchups. The passes I did would be like long handoffs.

I would use Ross more on quick slants. I'd also take deep shots to AJ Green more often. I'd work the middle of the field with Kroft more too.

I would give Westerman a shot starting over Hopkins who has been terrible.

On defense, I'd abandon playing Zone so much. I'd move MJ inside permanently and I'd start Willis. I'd rotate Evans in with Vigil and see which one emerged. I think Evans speed would help.

I'd start Jackson over Jones.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 01:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: For starters, as I said in a Ross thread, I start Ross out wide, start Erickson in the slot, WJIII at CB, Pacman gets return duty.  That's a start, in my opinion.

What do you do if you find that Ross is having trouble adapting to the physicality of the NFL?
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 01:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What do you do if you find that Ross is having trouble adapting to the physicality of the NFL?

How can this even be known?  He hasn't gotten enough snaps to tell.

But, hey, the offense is such a well oiled machine that we don't even need him. 

Marvin is way too smart to play him, apparently.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 01:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: On offense, I'd implement a WC offense. Our run blocking is actually way worse than our pass blocking...so I'd only run the ball an extremely low percentage of the time.

In it's place I'd do a lot of quick slants and I'd move the RB's around in motion to create 1 on 1 matchups. The passes I did would be like long handoffs.

I would use Ross more on quick slants. I'd also take deep shots to AJ Green more often. I'd work the middle of the field with Kroft more too.

I would give Westerman a shot starting over Hopkins who has been terrible.

On defense, I'd abandon playing Zone so much. I'd move MJ inside permanently and I'd start Willis. I'd rotate Evans in with Vigil and see which one emerged. I think Evans speed would help.

I'd start Jackson over Jones.

Definitely this....and like the Ohio River Offense as well.

(10-30-2017, 01:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What do you do if you find that Ross is having trouble adapting to the physicality of the NFL?

Who knows if he does?  We never get to see.  We have to do SOMETHING to soften the coverage a bit.

Reply/Quote
Offense:
Fire PA
Trade McCarron and Hill for OL. Maybe even draft picks.
Try to get any available OL men from FA before the trade deadline.
Start WJ3
Start Mixon
Use Erickson on offense and not just ST
Use Ross on a lot of screens and quick slants to help with the pressure
Run more routes with Kroft down the seam (because we normally do well with that, even though we don't do it very often)

Defense:
Start Lawson
Move MJ in as a DT
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 01:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: Who knows if he does?  We never get to see.  We have to do SOMETHING to soften the coverage a bit.

Exactly.  Defenses aren't allowed to tackle/hit him if he doesn't have the ball... However, they can't just ignore him, they STILL HAVE TO COVER HIM.  MAKE THEM.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 01:49 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Exactly.  Defenses aren't allowed to tackle/hit him if he doesn't have the ball... However, they can't just ignore him, they STILL HAVE TO COVER HIM.  MAKE THEM.

Yep, and with that speed, they're not going to able to crowd the line.  They'll have to play off a bit to compensate.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 01:56 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, and with that speed, they're not going to able to crowd the line.  They'll have to play off a bit to compensate.

I just see no way that the Bengals don't know this. There has to be a reason why he's not playing. They just won't tell us because it probably looks bad on him.
Reply/Quote
How about the Wing T? The triple option? There has to be some way for even the clueless to manufacture a run game. With no run game, no offense can succeed.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 02:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just see no way that the Bengals don't know this. There has to be a reason why he's not playing. They just won't tell us because it probably looks bad on him.

Could be, who knows with this bunch though.....

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 02:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just see no way that the Bengals don't know this. There has to be a reason why he's not playing. They just won't tell us because it probably looks bad on him.

Easy. Marv prefers vets over rookies.

[Image: and-you-know-this-man.jpg]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 02:15 PM)McC Wrote: How about the Wing T?  The triple option?   There has to be some way for even the clueless to manufacture a run game.  With no run game, no offense can succeed.

Unless you have a guy like Russell Wilson, this is absolutely true.

Reply/Quote
It was Hill's rookie year. we played the Steelers and Bell abused our D with the counter trey. The very next week, I think it was, the Bengals started using it and Hill went off.

Do we even run this play now or is the line just too bad to even make it work?

Reply/Quote
Do whatever it takes to get run game going. Extra OT, 2 TE sets and find a lead blocking fullback (stillworks in NFL, ask the Steelers and Pats).

Don’t have must criticism for the D outside of resting Geno more on running downs.
Reply/Quote
With full control?

- Fire Paul Alexander yesterday.
- Try TJ Johnson at C.
- Stop the rotations and just plug Andre at RT full-time
- Have 2 RBs (Or Hewitt, or Kroft) back in shotgun, ready to block. Give Dalton free reign to motion these guys...either to block a free blitzer on the edge, or to move out as a receiver if they aren't needed to block.
- Try an extra tackle, ala 2009.
- Start using AJ on shallow crossers to get him going when he's struggling outside.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
In the passing game I would play more of a possession style offense.
- Work quick, intermediate throws to TEs
- Screens to the RBs both in the flat and middle of the field.
- Motion RBs Gio & Mixon into WR spots for intermediate routes.
- Use AJ Green in the slot for short & intermediate routes... rotating him outside through motion when the defense allows.
- Let Ross and Erickson be the primary outside receiver when Green is in the slot. Take advantage of these 1 on 1 match ups with deep shots down field on Rosses side, or sideline routes with Erickson.
- 2 RB sets with Mixon & Gio. This would also allow for motion into multiple wide, single back sets, etc.
- Run from the shotgun.
- Draw plays and QB design draw runs/options

^ Hammer the above relentlessly and take whatever 3,4,5,6 yard gains you can. Take shots down the field when teams ease up on the pass rush and double teams to put defenders in the middle to deal with what I call the CLOG THE TOILET Offensive.
Reply/Quote
I don't know what you can do with the worst o line in the league.

D line is going to be completely exposed this week if Fournette plays.

He could get 150 yards rushing.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 01:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Name your strategy for both offense and defense. I see some small group of people predicting 10 wins from here. How will the Bengals do it? What strategy?

Offense

1.Andre starts full time at RT.
2.Use Fisher as an H-back/TE and use more heavy packages.
3.Tell the OL that at end of each series, they owe me 20 push-ups for every time their man hits the QB or RB behind the LoS.
4.Give Westerman ashot at RG.
5.Run more hurry up to tire out the pass rush.
6.Give Dalton more play calling responsibility.  He and his teammates should be more motivated if he's calling the plays.
7.More screens for the WR's.  What happened to those "check with me" screens when the CB is giving 7-10 yards of cushion?
8.Get Ross 3-5 designed touches a game.
9.Tell Andy to run with it sooner when protection breaks down.  If you're getting hit anyways, may as well pick up a couple of yards.
10.Use Hewitt more when healthy.
11.Give Malone a look at #2 WR.

Defense
1.WJ3 starts.  PacMan is the dime CB.
2.Shaw replaces Williams in nickel.
3.MJ to rotate at DT.
4.Lawson/Willis rotate at RDE, Dunlap/Smith at LDE.
5.Try some blitzes with Lawson coming out of the LB position.
6.Give Evans some snaps in nickel.
Reply/Quote