Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Coach the Bengals - What Strategy Would You Use?
1. running on 1st down - out the window ! We should only run on 1st like once a half, it puts you behind the chains 9x out of 10 with this putrid line.

2. Hill would not start another game, why is Marvin determined to continue keeping the play makers off the field ? Hill has next to zero home run ability and is fairly useless behind this O-line.

3. Get Ross on the field as WR2, Erickson in the slot, Lafell WR4 as others have said.

4. Two back sets

5. Do everything in my power to find an O-linemen or two. Hell put TJ Johnson, Westerman, Redmond, Dielman whoever in and give them a shot at blocking. It's obvious the guys we have out there now can't.

6. Take every play action pass play there is out of the playbook, we're not fooling anybody.

7. Be aggressive ! This team isn't going to force their will on anybody, well besides Cleveland. Go down swinging, fake punts, onside kicks, flea-flickers. We've got to find ways to generate points out of the norm. 3 yards and a cloud of dust, punt it away and play field position (Merv Ball) isn't going to get us anywhere.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 02:15 PM)McC Wrote: How about the Wing T?  The triple option?   There has to be some way for even the clueless to manufacture a run game.  With no run game, no offense can succeed.

While yes, the option is a viable alternative to the traditional running game, you're also gonna have NFL defenders wrecking your QB (without the restrictions that come when the QB is in the pocket) if you try to run it on a consistent basis. There is a reason the mobile QB is oft-injured in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 07:26 PM)treee Wrote: While yes, the option is a viable alternative to the traditional running game, you're also gonna have NFL defenders wrecking your QB (without the restrictions that come when the QB is in the pocket) if you try to run it on a consistent basis. There is a reason the mobile QB is oft-injured in the NFL.

When you have a TERRIBLE offensive line...there just aren't many good 'scheme options'. There are no shortcuts in the NFL unfortunately.

And now that there is film on Lazor...teams are starting to slow us down if we ever even had speed in the 1st place.
Reply/Quote
Offense
I fire Alexander the Great.
I see what OLine help I can get for McCarron, Hill, and Core. Would consider shipping out draft picks as well. Have to improve the OLine.
Johnson or Westerman move to C, or Westerman at G. If I find a T in trade, Andre at RT. Fisher can be used in jumbo sets and Bodine and Ced can help each other pack.
Erickson becomes my slot WR. Ross steals some playing time in place of LaFell. Mixon is the starting RB and I run more 2 RB sets with Mixon and Bernard.
I actually use a FB.
Basically go with the Ohio Valley Offense. Short, quick, high percentage passes that act in place of a running game. Try a couple of deep shots each half at minimum.
I run the hurry up offense. Let Dalton makes decisions at the line. He has shown multiple times in his career that he does really well with this tempo.
Get Dalton to use his legs more. When the inevitable pressure comes, tuck and run. Slide or dive instead of taking unnecessary hits.

Defense
Michael Johnson can help Bodine and Ced pack and get the **** out.
WJ3 starts at CB. Pacman falls to 4th on the CB depth chart.
Give Smith, Shaw, Fej some more snaps at S.
Give Billings some more playing time to see if he needs to pack as well.
Lawson starts in place of the recently departed Johnson.
Lure in Burfict. Try my hardest to get him to knock out the stupid shit and just be the dominate LB he is/can be.

I'll think of more after I post this. Good start though.
Reply/Quote
Trade the entire o-line for a 3rd rounder and pick off practice squad for starters. Pick up decent run blocking and that's it. Then run nothing but run pass options.
Reply/Quote
Hmm, if I were in charge? If I couldn't sway the management to make some quality moves, prior to the trade deadline, I would start playing the bench talent. A lot. I mean we know what kind of garbage we have taking up space among the starters, let's see if there is any potential among the up and comers. Why not? This season is pretty much in the tank, anyway.

Aside from that, assuming that I was stuck with assistants like PA for the rest of the season (who you going to get in mid-season?) I would sit down with him and have a heart to heart on blocking technique. I would command him to immediately instruct all OL personnel to go low on run blocking. This business of attempting to "Pass block forward" is not getting them anywhere. Looks more like grown men trying to play patty cake, than it resembles moving your opponent off of the ball. And when it comes to pass blocking? If you get beat, you'd better be diving and rolling through the legs of the man that beat you. I don't care if it draws a foul, our QB doesn't get touched.

For offensive scheming, we go quick tempo. Only the personnel should be sent in from the sideline, every play should be called at the line by Andy, via "check with me". A lot of quick hits to the backs, TEs, and Receivers. However, taking at lease a shot downfield every possession. Running the ball, we just hit the hole called, hard. Using a lead blocker as often as we can.

Defensively, Dennard and WJ3 are starting at CB, the others can rotate in, and play in Nickle. There's nothing wrong with either of those two, that consistent playing time won't fix. They were 1st round picks for a reason. Front seven? Less MJ at RE, for sure. He can continue the role previously played by Gilberry and Fanene before him. Other than that, I'd continue with what we've been doing defensively, and just hope that my Safeties got fully healthy.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 01:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Name your strategy for both offense and defense. I see some small group of people predicting 10 wins from here. How will the Bengals do it? What strategy?

You coach the Bengals...talk about what you'd do.

Think Marvin is a bad coach? Now is your chance!

I would come out with two TEs (Kroft and Uzo), two WRs (Green and a rotation of Core, Malone, Ross, and Lafell) and a single back (rotate Gio and Mixon).  Dalton in shotgun.  Bunch formation of the two TEs and the rotational WR not named Green on one side, AJ on the other.  Never line the back up at the line of scrimmage.  Empty backfield is a sack in waiting for this team.  Focus on two deep patters each play.  There must be at least 5 vertical shots taken each game.  Go no-huddle.  No substitutions  on any drive.  When we need short yardage, keep a TE in line and pound it with the other TE being the H-back (Hewitt when he returns, Uzo and Kroft can do this now).  The defense gets no substitutions on any drive without a time out or penalty.  

Focus on the numbers.  Gruden pointed this out with Denver last night.  Their rushing attack was quite impressive, but Simeon sucks and threw 4 INTs.  He would audible the rush to the side where the Chiefs had fewer defenders due to the passing attack and the rush design.  I would ensure balance of near 50/50 pass/rush selection and run several end-arounds to WRs Core and Ross.  

I would also practice like hell, the hard count.  Some folks on here called it a gimmick, but KC essentially ended the game last night (it was closer than the score indicated) be hard-counting the opposition in to offsides on three separate occasions.  Aaron Rogers has made a living at this and so has Brady.  Dalton has a very strong "pitch" for this (see sport science on his draft evaluation).  Be disciplined, and have at least one hard count EACH SNAP to see what the defense is tipping off.  No, you won't always not snap the first cadence, as that would become predictable, like the rest of the offense.  The cadence has to be LOUD.

The defense.  The most aggressive, best talent play.  MJ can rotate at DT and that is it.  My DEs are Dunlap, Willis, Smith, and Lawson.  Run some mix of 3-4 with Geno and MJ as the DEs with Pat Sims and Glasgow being the NT.  That would allow a LB crew of Jordan Evans and Vigil on the outside with Burfict and Minter on the inside.  Try hitting a TE 11 times with that crew on the field.  

Aggression becomes our M.O.  On second and short, throw deep.  Blitz when the opponent has 2nd and long.  Run a fake punt.  Do an onsides kick to start a half.  You will get more out of your players if they are motivated.  This team is going to have to start being the puncher or they will stay the punching bag for a long time.  
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 02:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just see no way that the Bengals don't know this. There has to be a reason why he's not playing. They just won't tell us because it probably looks bad on him.

My tin-foil hat theory is that Marvin wanted the LB from Bama that got thrown out of the medical evaluation of the combine.  He wanted him really badly.  Katie and Troy (it isn't Mike) wanted Ross.  I agreed with Katie and Troy, but that is a whole other matter.  Now, Marv is thumbing his nose at the Bengals as his team sits the #9 overall pick in the draft.

No other team in the NFL would be sitting on his talent.  Not one.  Makes me hate Marv despite the positives he has earned over the years.  You can see what this team looks like when they lost the best coordinators:  Gruden, Hue, Zimmer, Joseph.  They covered up a lot of Marv's stupidity.  Now, its on him and like a coward, he called out the players for getting Zampese fired.  

Ross will get his chance to make everyone crapping on him (including Lewis and so many fans) look stupid, but I fear it won't happen this year while Marv is still coaching. 

I mean, why was Willis not rewarded with some pass-rushing opps after blocking a punt?  Why did Lawson get fewer snaps at DE than a turd like MJ until MJ got injured?  

It is all on Marv and he will go down waving his middle finger to the Brown family and the fans.  Asshole. 
Reply/Quote
I’d let the coordinators handle it spending my time sucking up to Mike safe in the knowledge that I’ll have a job for as long as he likes me
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 11:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, if I were in charge?  If I couldn't sway the management to make some quality moves, prior to the trade deadline, I would start playing the bench talent.  A lot.  I mean we know what kind of garbage we have taking up space among the starters, let's see if there is any potential among the up and comers.  Why not?  This season is pretty much in the tank, anyway.

Aside from that, assuming that I was stuck with assistants like PA for the rest of the season (who you going to get in mid-season?)  I would sit down with him and have a heart to heart on blocking technique.  I would command him to immediately instruct all OL personnel to go low on run blocking.  This business of attempting to "Pass block forward" is not getting them anywhere.  Looks more like grown men trying to play patty cake, than it resembles moving your opponent off of the ball.  And when it comes to pass blocking?  If you get beat, you'd better be diving and rolling through the legs of the man that beat you.  I don't care if it draws a foul, our QB doesn't get touched.

For offensive scheming, we go quick tempo.  Only the personnel should be sent in from the sideline, every play should be called at the line by Andy, via "check with me".  A lot of quick hits to the backs, TEs, and Receivers.  However, taking at lease a shot downfield every possession.  Running the ball, we just hit the hole called, hard.  Using a lead blocker as often as we can.  

Defensively, Dennard and WJ3 are starting at CB, the others can rotate in, and play in Nickle.  There's nothing wrong with either of those two, that consistent playing time won't fix.  They were 1st round picks for a reason.  Front seven?  Less MJ at RE, for sure.  He can continue the role previously played by Gilberry and Fanene before him.  Other than that, I'd continue with what we've been doing defensively, and just hope that my Safeties got fully healthy.

This is all good stuff, but the bolded is exactly what Lapham has been complaining about for years.  They slide block and try to have a cutback lane.  Everyone knows it is coming and everyone knows how to defend it.  I feel sorry for our offensive line, honestly.  It is like being a QB and your only receiving threat is AJ Green.  Wait...
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 11:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is all good stuff, but the bolded is exactly what Lapham has been complaining about for years.  They slide block and try to have a cutback lane.  Everyone knows it is coming and everyone knows how to defend it.  I feel sorry for our offensive line, honestly.  It is like being a QB and your only receiving threat is AJ Green.  Wait...

Exactly, you watch the tape of our games, and when we go strong right or vice versa, the D knows to stay home on the backside. Whatever happened to G pulling or trapping?? 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 11:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is all good stuff, but the bolded is exactly what Lapham has been complaining about for years.  They slide block and try to have a cutback lane.  Everyone knows it is coming and everyone knows how to defend it.  I feel sorry for our offensive line, honestly.  It is like being a QB and your only receiving threat is AJ Green.  Wait...

Which is exactly why I would instill aggressive, fundamental football.  When they can demonstrate mastery of the basics, then maybe we can talk about jazzing up the scheme a bit.  Heck, this team can't even execute a simple trap, or pull a Guard around the end without tripping over their own feet, or having it blown up at the snap.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Put 10 OL on the field and direct snap to mixon..... until the defense is tired then start throwing the ball (with Dalton)
Reply/Quote
I would probably have a FB in at all times to block in our running game and keep him in to help pass protect when we throw. When you have a line this bad you must adjust.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 03:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which is exactly why I would instill aggressive, fundamental football.  When they can demonstrate mastery of the basics, then maybe we can talk about jazzing up the scheme a bit.  Heck, this team can't even execute a simple trap, or pull a Guard around the end without tripping over their own feet, or having it blown up at the snap.

Sad but true.  I was hoping to get more out of the players by firing up some imagination, but I understand your point.  
Reply/Quote
I woukd bring the one thing our team lacks in big games. Motivation. I'd give the a little this:

"Not only are we going to Green Bay, team, we're going to Cleveland and Shittsburg. And Jacksonville And Tennesee And Denver! We're going to Minnesota and Baltimore and The Playoffs! And we're going to Kansas City and New England and The Superbowl! And then we're going to Washington D.C. to take back the White House! Byaahhh!!!"
Reply/Quote
I would utilize all of our weapons, which would include getting John Ross, Cody Core, and even Erickson on the field for snaps. I would run some read option/wild cat looks with John Ross and Mixon in the backfield. Defensively I would use multiple zone blitz schemes. I would GLUE 70 on the oline to the bench where he would remain until otherwise determined. I would sign multiple veteran offensive lineman RIGHT NOW.
Reply/Quote