Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You can have all the O Line talent you want...
But it won't matter. Sign Thuney, Scherff, and draft Sewell. It won't matter.

The Bengals will still get out schemed by the class of the NFL. Look at the Chiefs. Their offensive line is made up of cast offs and is put together with band aids and duct tape. Why are they so successful? Because their play designs and schemes are ridiculous. Andy Reid is ridiculous. He's an amazing head coach and offensive mind.

This isn't a ZT bashing thread...but his head coaching ability goes WAY further than wins and losses. His inability to scheme around the offensive line deficiencies is alarming. His lack of innovative and creative play calling is alarming. I need to see more from this guy next season when it comes to offensive schemes, designs, and play calling.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
(01-25-2021, 07:03 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: But it won't matter. Sign Thuney, Scherff, and draft Sewell. It won't matter.

The Bengals will still get out schemed by the class of the NFL. Look at the Chiefs. Their offensive line is made up of cast offs and is put together with band aids and duct tape. Why are they so successful? Because their play designs and schemes are ridiculous. Andy Reid is ridiculous. He's an amazing head coach and offensive mind.

This isn't a ZT bashing thread...but his head coaching ability goes WAY further than wins and losses. His inability to scheme around the offensive line deficiencies is alarming. His lack of innovative and creative play calling is alarming. I need to see more from this guy next season when it comes to offensive schemes, designs, and play calling.

Fair enough, but keep in mind that they got to where they are today with an All-Pro at LT and they lost a very good G this past offseason.  You are right about Reid and his systems.  He had his OL coaches developing guys that were ready to be those "next men up", and knew their roles in the offensive system, before they ever hit the field of play.

Now in Zac Taylor's case with the Bengals, I think that they do need to bring in a couple of quality, proven players that can easily fit into what the Bengals offense wants to do, as well as keep Joe B. off of the injured reserve.  Remembering that the Bengals OL was actually pretty stout, just 6 years ago, we also have to remember that it didn't get into the condition it's currently in overnight.  Even with good coaching and an injection of talent, it's going to take a season or two to recreate a dominate unit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Kansas City has the Best QB, Best Deep threat WR, and best TE in the league. So yeah it's easy to scheme when you have the best players on your team.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
(01-25-2021, 07:21 PM)J24 Wrote: Kansas City has the Best QB, Best Deep threat WR, and best TE in the league. So yeah it's easy to scheme when you have the best players on your team.

Not to mention when the Zac had 1 healthy starting offensive lineman against the Titans the offense scored 31 points and Burrow was sacked zero times resulting in a victory. 
So he showed he could scheme around injuries somewhat on that day.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Haven't we learned with Belichick that you can't hang that kind of recognition on a coach? Good coaches make the difference between a good and bad team yes, but I think your giving Reid a little too much credit here as if others don't know how to scheme. His offense is crazy good right now just about any coach (I said about) or assistant coach could win with this team.

(01-25-2021, 07:33 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Haven't we learned with Belichick that you can't hang that kind of recognition on a coach? Good coaches make the difference between a good and bad team yes, but I think your giving Reid a little too much credit here as if others don't know how to scheme. His offense is crazy good right now just about any coach (I said about) or assistant coach could win with this team.

According to pro football reference, Andy Reid has a career win percentage of .629, good for the 23rd all-time best winning percentage among head coaches(out of the 188 that qualify for their rankings). Are they really giving him "too much credit", or are they just calling a spade a spade?  
We've seen QBs that have time and a pocket come up short before... how, you say?

The QB had time, but the WRs could not get open.

Weapons or "shiny toys" around these parts are as integral as the protection.

Higgins & Boyd are good but could be even that much better with a player like Chase or even Pitts with them.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
(01-25-2021, 07:03 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: But it won't matter. Sign Thuney, Scherff, and draft Sewell. It won't matter.

Outside of Fisher..yes a line that is not high picks but couple veterans undrafted i believe in there with young players.  We could also argue that it show what can happen when you have a great QB...  you don;t need a great line just good enough especially when the core RB /WRs are also good and KC is elite ...

I  can't buy scape goating the Bengals  here... what Coach right now is doing what Andy Reid is doing.. so throw a many other HC under the bus not just ZT. 
I think Zac and Callahan have the mind. I see flashes of creativity. More than in recent Marvin years. Hue's 3 Tackle's out wide package that never worked was about all we got in those golden years.

Zac is still young. Reid has been around a long time and there's no comparison. But I can see Burrow going score for score with KC. From an offensive standpoint. So we don't need a Reid.

We need speed and a Defense if the AFC goes through KC for the next decade.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Why are they so successful? Because they have the best QB in the league (future HoFer), the best TE in the league (future HoFer), and the most explosive WR in the league.

Coaches do matter a lot, I agree, but come on. Can't compare situations where one example has the best QB and TE in the league and try to make that applicable as some kind of guideline/blueprint.

- - - - - -
Not even touching the defense that's been in the Top-10 the last 2 years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
I think it helps if you have a baby GOAT
(01-25-2021, 07:58 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: According to pro football reference, Andy Reid has a career win percentage of .629, good for the 23rd all-time best winning percentage among head coaches(out of the 188 that qualify for their rankings). Are they really giving him "too much credit", or are they just calling a spade a spade?  

I'm not saying he's not a great coach. Just saying you can't hang it all on him. I have mad respect for Reid. Before the game Sunday, I was explaining to my wife (who is a Chiefs fan) that both teams are great and it will come down to which coach plans better. I told her Reid has the advantage and thought they would win the game. So, no disrespect for Reid at all.

I don't know how you beat the Steelers on MNF with Finley. Your starting QB, TE, RB & LT are out as well as plenty of other defensive starters then Boyd gets hurt. Somehow he schemed a way to beat a team the Bengals never beat especially in prime time. I want to win as much as the next guy but I am happy beating the Steelers.
(01-25-2021, 07:33 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Haven't we learned with Belichick that you can't hang that kind of recognition on a coach? Good coaches make the difference between a good and bad team yes, but I think your giving Reid a little too much credit here as if others don't know how to scheme. His offense is crazy good right now just about any coach (I said about) or assistant coach could win with this team.

Belichick won with no names for the better part of his career. Yes Brady is the goat, but Belichick is one of the best coaches in NFL history. 
(01-25-2021, 07:21 PM)J24 Wrote: Kansas City has the Best QB, Best Deep threat WR, and best TE in the league. So yeah it's easy to scheme when you have the best players on your team.

But they don't have DREW SAMPLE! Cool
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(01-25-2021, 09:14 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I don't know how you beat the Steelers on MNF with Finley. Your starting QB, TE, RB & LT are out as well as plenty of other defensive starters then Boyd gets hurt. Somehow he schemed a way to beat a team the Bengals never beat especially in prime time. I want to win as much as the next guy but I am happy beating the Steelers.

Turnovers.

If the Bengals didn't get those, they wouldn't have won that game.

Look back at the 2005 Bengals. Their defense was 22nd in Points Allowed and 28th in Yards Allowed. However, they were 1st in the league in turnovers. They capitalized on short fields.

To get turnovers in 2021, you're going to need a DL that actually gets pressure aside from one guy. They also need DBs who are better ball hawks. Bates has had a respectable 3 INTs every season, but no other DB had more than 1 this past season. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(01-25-2021, 09:14 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I don't know how you beat the Steelers on MNF with Finley. Your starting QB, TE, RB & LT are out as well as plenty of other defensive starters then Boyd gets hurt. Somehow he schemed a way to beat a team the Bengals never beat especially in prime time. I want to win as much as the next guy but I am happy beating the Steelers.

The Steelers were not a good team this year. 
You block well for Burrow and we will start winning.

The running game will also come alive if we block well.

Just hoping we can get after the passer and stop the run on the other side of the ball eventually.

Belichick just went 7-9 with one of the worst qb's in the league. Maybe the worst

All of these Belichick doubters are going to be proven so wrong down the line. Guy's still the best coach in the NFL
(01-25-2021, 10:33 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Belichick just went 7-9 with one of the worst qb's in the league. Maybe the worst

All of these Belichick doubters are going to be proven so wrong down the line. Guy's still the best coach in the NFL

Yeah for real... They had a ton of oot outs too. Yet they managed to finish around .500... Just like Tomlin did with the Steelers the previous year. In Cincinnati, they give passes for terrible records because this or that didn't happen.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021