Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
You can't ***** zero me.
Confidence and cockiness will only take you so far. By this time in Dalton's (whose personality was different) 2nd year, we were headed back to the playoffs. 

Burrow's confidence and cockiness has been exciting, but it hasn't gotten us anywhere (yet), and is likely to end his career early.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 02:32 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Unless I missed it, I've never seen anyone state that Burrow 'controls the mentality' of the team.

Youeither missed it or you are trying to play some sort of "semantics" game

(10-09-2021, 11:54 AM)SouthernStripes Wrote:  This is the type of QB that will have your entire roster/staff ready to walk through any fire with you. 

(10-09-2021, 12:22 PM)pally Wrote:  He said something along the lines of when the team would be in the lead they would start thinking about what they would do to screw it up.  I believe that the Bengals were working with the same thought process

They are beginning to learn that they won't screw it up.  We can see their confidence grow each game and a lot of that is because of Joe.

(10-09-2021, 12:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  But, confidence - when it's backed up by performance - can become infectious and raise the confidence level of everyone...which is more the case with Burrow. His confidence (borderline cockiness at times) has caused an increased confidence level in the other players on this team. 

(10-09-2021, 02:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  how many players did he inspire to truly believe they could win every game they're in? Joe has done it with an entire franchise

(10-09-2021, 09:05 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Burrow seems to have the entire team believing and that's not something everybody can do, its special.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 03:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Youeither missed it or you are trying to play some sort of "semantics" game

You didn't quote anything saying Joe 'controls the mentality' of the team or that players were sitting around with 'their thumbs up their asses' waiting for Joe.

Everything you quoted talks about how confidence can be contagious and spread throughout the team/franchise. How it can affect a mindset and make it better, more optimistic.

Don't you think it is possible for a QB's personality, approach and confidence to rub off on his teammates or cause them to become more confident overall?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 03:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Don't you think it is possible for a QB's personality, approach and confidence to rub off on his teammates or cause them to become more confident overall?

Ask the guys who played with Manziel.

The guys who make it to the NFL are already confident.  The only thing that effects their confidence in a QB is his skill and ability on the field. I don't believe grown men are inspired by yelling on the sidelines.  

I have seen plenty of really shitty players yelling on the sidelines and it had zero effect on the team.

BTW I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why Burrow had no confidence last year that helped us win games.  Funny how it suddenly is the "reason we win playoff games" this year when he has a lot more healthy, talented players around him.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ask the guys who played with Manziel.

The guys who make it to the NFL are already confident.  The only thing that effects their confidence in a QB is his skill and ability on the field. I don't believe grown men are inspired by yelling on the sidelines.  

I have seen plenty of really shitty players yelling on the sidelines and it had zero effect on the team.

BTW I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why Burrow had no confidence last year that helped us win games.  Funny how it suddenly is the "reason we win playoff games" this year when he has a lot more healthy, talented players around him.

Confidence is a funny thing. It's not always at the same level, it changes from person to person and team to team, and can easily be shattered at times...but it can also be increased and affected by people or circumstances around you. My stance is that Joe has cuased an increased confidence level in this team and organization that they haven't had for a long time.

You asked why confidence didn't do much last year...well, confidence all by itself doesn't really do anything. You have to keep improving the talent, putting in the hard work and all those things, but that doesn't always guarantee you'll get better. At some point you have to start truly believing you can beat anyone. I think that's where the confidence plays it's role, and especially when it comes to your QB. Joe had and demonstrated that confidence last year even when shit wasn't going well, and players on the team saw it and talked about it many times, and it's continued to carry over and be a factor.

I'm going to believe the coaches and players when they say that they feel they can win any game because Joe is the QB, and when they talk about how contagious his confidence is. 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 02:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually that is the main point of the OP

No it isn't. It's a failure of your understanding of the context. The original creator of this thread did not claim that the 2-14 Bengals of 2019 would have won a playoff game with greater confidence.

If you want to treat the forum like it's filled with morons, then make more sense.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 02:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: Confidence and cockiness will only take you so far. By this time in Dalton's (whose personality was different) 2nd year, we were headed back to the playoffs. 

Burrow's confidence and cockiness has been exciting, but it hasn't gotten us anywhere (yet), and is likely to end his career early.

Thats a rough take, but Burrow does at times seem like he is heading down the Carson Wentz path. 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ask the guys who played with Manziel.

Did Manziel go on the field and back up the talk, giving his teammates something tangible to see?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 04:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Did Manziel go on the field and back up the talk, giving his teammates something tangible to see?

According to Uzomah, Burrow’s teammates call him “Joey Franchise.” I wonder what they called Manziel in the pros? It certainly wasn’t “Johnny Football.”

Reply/Quote