Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"You can't talk Super Bowl....."
I don't even know who will be playing come playoffs time. I hope all our starters are healthy and all the backups will be too, but 10 more weeks of football is a lot of football. I'm pretty excited about the team right now, but I'll hold back some of it for week 16 and beyond. I'm not quite ready to crown anyone anything quite yet and I don't get all that pumped for a participation trophy ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 05:13 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Sorry Luvnit2, I like you but I hate the "You're not on the team" posts.  We fans have suffered enough that we can consider ourselves part of the team, especially those of us who have watched 2 Super Bowl losses and suffered the 90s.

I don't think you really understood his post.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with considering yourself an extension of the team.  Without fans, there would be no team, so without you, there would be no Bengals.  You're definitely part of the team.

BUT...saying that we need to "focus"?  What the hell is a fan focusing on more than one game going to do for the Bengals?  If you focus hard enough, will it pay off? Is talking "super bowl" somehow detrimental to the team?

Focusing on the next game is a player thing. Looking forward to all of the games and talking "what if" is a fan thing.

Unless your focusing includes sneaking ex-lax into the opposing team's breakfast or picking a fight with a star player in a bar, you're not focusing on helping the team win enough.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 08:22 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I don't think you really understood his post.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with considering yourself an extension of the team.  Without fans, there would be no team, so without you, there would be no Bengals.  You're definitely part of the team.

BUT...saying that we need to "focus"?  What the hell is a fan focusing on more than one game going to do for the Bengals?  If you focus hard enough, will it pay off? Is talking "super bowl" somehow detrimental to the team?

Focusing on the next game is a player thing. Looking forward to all of the games and talking "what if" is a fan thing.

Unless your focusing includes sneaking ex-lax into the opposing team's breakfast or picking a fight with a star player in a bar, you're not focusing on helping the team win enough.

Precisely.  Any time there's a thread of this nature someone deems it necessary to scold us not to look ahead, to take one game at a time and only focus on the next opponent, blah blah blah.  

We're fans.  It doesn't matter if we look ahead, or run down the schedule, or (gasp) think about  that game in Denver in December.

Well, you know what?  I'm already thinking about the Cleveland game.  Yep, thinking about where I'll park that night.  Where we're going to eat on the way down to PBS.  Over-thinking it, really.  Man, I am just so looking right past Pittsburgh.  ****, I've created a trap game for us Smirk    
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 08:22 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I don't think you really understood his post.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with considering yourself an extension of the team.  Without fans, there would be no team, so without you, there would be no Bengals.  You're definitely part of the team.

BUT...saying that we need to "focus"?  What the hell is a fan focusing on more than one game going to do for the Bengals?  If you focus hard enough, will it pay off? Is talking "super bowl" somehow detrimental to the team?

This x1000. Normally I'd agree with Bonnie on fans being an extension of the team. I'm guilty of saying "we" all the time. That said, this stuff about "taking it one week at a time" always kills me. What we say as fans has no affect on the team whatsoever. 

I'm not sure yet if this team can win in the playoffs, but they're getting my hopes up. This team is better than the 2005 squad, IMO. Dalton is looking like '05 Carson. The defense is probably better overall. Nailing down a playoff BYE is crucial though. This Steelers game is also huge as a win would put us 3 games ahead of them while a loss would have them breathing down our necks.  
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 07:08 PM)Utts Wrote: YOU ARE NOT A TRUE FAN, got to Pittsburgh loser!!!

LOL - If I haven't went to Pittsburgh yet, I'm not going anywhere. So you're stuck with me.

On the real, this team who is full of great talent and playing LIGHTS out and could beat anyone in the league.. We just have to watch out for cheaters, refs and injuries.
Reply/Quote
I guess I am a bit different, I saw the 75, 88 and all the other seasons. I can't think past chapping the Pittsburgs ass in two weeks and 4 days later chapping the Browns ass.

At some point in time we will get our collective asses kicked by a big loss.

Chill
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 09:50 PM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: At some point in time we will get our collective asses kicked by a big loss.

Maybe we should take earlier advice in this thread and worry about the 2016 season when it gets here.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
This is American We can Talk SB!!!!
Reply/Quote
Some of you evidently need to re read the original post. They, nor I, said we will be in the Super Bowl. They said you cannot talk Super Bowl Contenders without talking about Cincinnati. Doesn't mean we are going, it means we are in contention. Geeze. At the start of the season these same type people were predicting the Steelers would win the Division with the Ravens getting the Wildcard. They predicted Cincy would finish 8-8 or 9-8 and just miss the playoffs. Now they say Cincy is one of the teams in contention to go to the Super Bowl. And you guys really want to argue about that?????????????????
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 11:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Some of you evidently need to re read the original post. They, nor I, said we will be in the Super Bowl. They said you cannot talk Super Bowl Contenders without talking about Cincinnati. Doesn't mean we are going, it means we are in contention. Geeze. At the start of the season these same type people were predicting the Steelers would win the Division with the Ravens getting the Wildcard. They predicted Cincy would finish 8-8 or 9-8 and just miss the playoffs. Now they say Cincy is one of the teams in contention to go to the Super Bowl. And you guys really want to argue about that?????????????????

Thats the way it goes when the bengals are doing great and it is a bye week... :fencing:
Reply/Quote
Yawn
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 05:13 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Sorry Luvnit2, I like you but I hate the "You're not on the team" posts.  We fans have suffered enough that we can consider ourselves part of the team, especially those of us who have watched 2 Super Bowl losses and suffered the 90s.

Exactly. It's definitely WE. I love this team . And most of these guys haven't sat through jeff query being the top WR. Or scott Mitchell, Neil o'donnel all at Qb .

There should be mark on the names for when you started being a fan. This way we can seperate the wheat from the Chaffe
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 09:53 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Maybe we should take earlier advice in this thread and worry about the 2016 season when it gets here.

Haha I love this cupcakes
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 02:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: What number are you?

Or are you a coach?

Last time I checked fans don't play so we can focus on anything as we have no skin in any actual game.

Rep ^^^^^^^this 
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 01:26 PM)Ryuko Wrote: You can't talk Super Bowl without winning in the playoffs. You can't talk winning in the playoffs until you've made the playoffs. 

Let's focus on making the playoffs. We're 6-0 with a chance to be 7-0, and that's fantastic. But there's an awful lot of football between now and February. For now, let's focus handing Pittsburgh their 3rd or 4th loss. That will go a long way toward clinching that playoff spot.

Always has to be one Debbie downer. Can't we just enjoy the ride. Our favorite team is being mentioned in playoffs contention and super bowl talk let us enjoy it. 

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 07:27 PM)Utts Wrote: The 88 team was easier to enjoy since the previous season they were 4-11. This team has raised expectations and pooped themselves in the playoffs over and over, so they have to raise the bar.

In any event, I was just kidding with my comment about him not being a fan.

Different teams.  This is a veteran 6-0 team.  This team passes the eye test.  SB is a possibility.  
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 12:36 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Exactly.    It's definitely WE.   I love this team .  And most of these guys haven't sat through jeff query being the top WR.   Or scott Mitchell, Neil o'donnel all at Qb .  

There should be mark on the names for when you started being a fan.  This way we can seperate the wheat from the Chaffe

Anyone who watched Dave Shula coach, and David Klinger at QB is allowed to get excited about this season...... I think I just threw up a little at the mention of those two.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 12:36 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Exactly.    It's definitely WE.   I love this team .  And most of these guys haven't sat through jeff query being the top WR.   Or scott Mitchell, Neil o'donnel all at Qb .  

There should be mark on the names for when you started being a fan.  This way we can seperate the wheat from the Chaffe

started following Bengals  at 12 year old. I'm now 42, I've seen the high and lows. BEEN alot of lows. Glad to finally see a well balanced team being fielded once again.   

Reply/Quote

Bonnie, my point is not that someone is not a part of the team. We are all fans and a part of the team, but we can't control how the team looks at games week to week or the season. The team (players and coaches) is very focused week to week and that is great to see.

My point is as fans our enthusiasm or focus has no bearing on the outcome of any game or any season.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 01:26 PM)Ryuko Wrote: You can't talk Super Bowl without winning in the playoffs. You can't talk winning in the playoffs until you've made the playoffs. 

Let's focus on making the playoffs. We're 6-0 with a chance to be 7-0, and that's fantastic. But there's an awful lot of football between now and February. For now, let's focus handing Pittsburgh their 3rd or 4th loss. That will go a long way toward clinching that playoff spot.

as fans we are allowed to look into the future
Reply/Quote