Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You feed Mixon and good things happen
(12-30-2019, 10:25 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It's frustrating that we all knew that would work, as it was the main thing that worked last year. In fact, we all expected the Bengals to focus on the run this year since it was expected to mimic the Rams offense, and we were all completely baffled when they didn't in the first half of the season. Can't believe it took them half a season to figure that out.

It didn't take them half a season to figure it out. It took them half a season to find a line combination that could run block. They did not have the lineman they picked in the draft, they were playing with Marvin's picks. Once Turner got the line straightened out, Mixon excelled. No one here is football smarter than the coaches, even though we like to think we are with 20-20 vision. Having Joe run into the back of the line 3 times in a row for 1 ypc and then punting is not going to win any games.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It didn't take them half a season to figure it out. It took them half a season to find a line combination that could run block. They did not have the lineman they picked in the draft, they were playing with Marvin's picks. Once Turner got the line straightened out, Mixon excelled. No one here is football smarter than the coaches, even though we like to think we are with 20-20 vision. Having Joe run into the back of the line 3 times in a row for 1 ypc and then punting is not going to win any games.

I disagree.
From what I recall, the Bengals went back to a directional blocking scheme after the bye week, which was what Frank Pollack was doing last year.
Also, I don't think it's 100% safe to assume "No One" is football smarter than the coaches on here.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Also, I don't think it's 100% safe to assume "No One" is football smarter than the coaches on here.

Oh, I think it's a safe bet. Otherwise, why are they making millions coaching NFL football while everyone here is on the coach posting on a message board?
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Also, I don't think it's 100% safe to assume "No One" is football smarter than the coaches on here.

Agreed, doubly so when the Bengals just had a season where they did multiple 4th and short QB runs out of the freaking shotgun, and multiple plays where Billings and/or Dunlap dropped back into coverage.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Oh, I think it's a safe bet. Otherwise, why are they making millions coaching NFL football while everyone here is on the coach posting on a message board?

1) You don't know what salary Jim Turner makes, but not all NFL coaches make $1+ million a year.
2) Why do you assume that someone has to work in that profession to have knowledge on it?
3) What makes you think people on here don't make plenty of money just because they are posting on a message board?

Some people would rather have football coaching not be his or her full-time job but still enjoy spending (some of) their free time gaining knowledge on it and discussing it. Just because that isn't their paying job doesn't mean they aren't knowledgeable on the subject.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 1) You don't know what salary Jim Turner makes, but not all NFL coaches make $1+ million a year.
2) Why do you assume that someone has to work in that profession to have knowledge on it?
3) What makes you think people on here don't make plenty of money just because they are posting on a message board?

Some people would rather have football coaching not be his or her full-time job but still enjoy spending (some of) their free time gaining knowledge on it and discussing it. Just because that isn't their paying job doesn't mean they aren't knowledgeable on the subject.

I never said they had no knowledge. I never said they didn't make plenty of money, though I doubt many here make NFL money. I know how to fly an airplane, but I'm not as up on it as someone who does it for a living.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I never said they had no knowledge. I never said they didn't make plenty of money, though I doubt many here make NFL money. I know how to fly an airplane, but I'm not as up on it as someone who does it for a living.

You may not be, but just because you aren't doesn't mean there are others that aren't.
For example, someone might be a fantastic brewer. He/she may only do it in their free time and not get paid for it. Just because they don't get paid for it and it isn't their official job doesn't mean they 100% aren't as good as someone who brews as their full-time job.

Look, I'm not saying you are wrong. These coaches are very likely more skilled than (most) people on a message board are. But saying absolutes like "no one" or "everyone" can end up not being true. I don't typically like to use those terms because they imply all or nothing, which can't be 100% proven.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Mixon is a skilled running back,but,,,,the real reason is,the O line finally mans up and starts road grading defenders,and pass blocking.Hats off to the O line.Not perfect,but much better.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 09:09 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I get that but when Mixon was getting so little production it was early enough that we were still thinking ZT was going to make Dalton and Ross into superstars so I can picture us freaking out if our new offensive genius HC kept calling 1 yard runs.

They wouldn’t have kept going for 1 yd.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:58 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Mixon is a skilled running back,but,,,,the real reason is,the O line finally mans up and starts road grading defenders,and pass blocking.Hats off to the O line.Not perfect,but much better.

Idk about all that. Gio wasn’t having much success when he got the ball. The OL deserves some credit, but “real reason?” is a bit much. Mixon just finally got going.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 07:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They wouldn’t have kept going for 1 yd.

If I ran a football team I'd play the backup QB and run the ball 90% of the time and it would be the most popular team with people who call into those sports talk shows, at least. Oh, and minimum salaries for all!
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 07:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Idk about all that. Gio wasn’t having much success when he got the ball. The OL deserves some credit, but “real reason?” is a bit much. Mixon just finally got going.

Let's be honest Nicomo, Gio has checked the F out.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 07:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If I ran a football team I'd play the backup QB and run the ball 90% of the time and it would be the most popular team with people who call into those sports talk shows, at least. Oh, and minimum salaries for all!

Did gramps hack your account?

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 08:10 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Let's be honest Nicomo, Gio has checked the F out.

I don’t know what’s going on with him. I know he didn’t get a ton of carries (53) but it was his worst season average (3.2) by far.

Reply/Quote
Just read that Joe Mixon wants to play his entire career for the Bengals...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 08:10 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Let's be honest Nicomo, Gio has checked the F out.

... you must the be the only person on the planet who thinks this.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 11:35 AM)jason Wrote: Just read that Joe Mixon wants to play his entire career for the Bengals...

Pay the man.

Reply/Quote
Mixon is the best player on the team right now.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 11:35 AM)jason Wrote: Just read that Joe Mixon wants to play his entire career for the Bengals...

Here is the article for those curious. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2869168-joe-mixon-on-potential-contract-extension-i-want-to-be-a-bengal-for-life

Get the man some money.
Reply/Quote

Put a contract under his nose now before he changes his mind.  
Reply/Quote