Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
You guys are overestimating the Mixon injury
Is it just me, or is it not that big of a deal if he's injured this week? Perine and Evans can fill in.

More importantly, this also might be the opportunity Joe and the offense need to air it out more and finally get it clicking on all cylinders on offense.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather Mixon be playing - but maybe it's time to lean on the passing attack regardless and open up the flood gates. Let's see what the boys got. I truly think that's this teams offensive identity.

Maybe that's just a terrible take, but I really think the pass game can pick up the slack and "break out" this week (like the second half vs the Jags)...we will find out anyway.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 01:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Is it just me, or is it not that big of a deal if he's injured this week? Perine and Evans can fill in.

More importantly, this also might be the opportunity Joe and the offense need to air it out more and finally get it clicking on all cylinders on offense.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather Mixon be playing - but maybe it's time to lean on the passing attack regardless and open up the flood gates. Let's see what the boys got. I truly think that's this teams offensive identity.

Maybe that's just a terrible take, but I really think the pass game can pick up the slack and "break out" this week (like the second half vs the Jags)...we will find out anyway.

I think we're still very dangerous, but a little less dangerous wo Mixon.  I love that Mixon's dual-threat presence doesn't give any extra indication to the play call.  Mixon is one of my favorite backs in the league, but I still think we have a good shot at a win.  
Reply/Quote
Not sure if I'm jaded against Mixon or the run game but I haven't been impressed.

I'd like to see us open up the passing attack as well... I want Joe flinging that sucker
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I like the healthy balance this offense has shown so far, but I'm a guy that doesn't believe in 2nd contracts for RBs... So you can guess my opinion on Mixon being out.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
This team simply has to have a plan in place for Mixon being out, because he's pretty much a lock to miss games. No Mixon and trying to keep up with GB Make a this a prime chance for Burrow to go all "hero ball"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No threat of run will clog those passing lanes we have seen the last 4 games.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 01:50 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Not sure if I'm jaded against Mixon or the run game but I haven't been impressed.

I'd like to see us open up the passing attack as well... I want Joe flinging that sucker

he's 3rd in the NFL in rush yards
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
A lot depends on what Perine and Evans are capable of. I'm not as down on Perine as some are and we've not seen what Evans is able to do throughout a full game against good defenders..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 01:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Is it just me, or is it not that big of a deal if he's injured this week? Perine and Evans can fill in.

The concern with the Mixon injury is that he's the most well-rounded RB out of the group, and he has proven production.
Perine is a hammer but a plodder. He's not as agile as Mixon. Perine averages 1.2 YPC less than Mixon.
Evans looks to be good as a pass catcher, but we haven't seen him as a rusher yet in a regular season game.
So the worry is that the running game will be less effective but also more predictable based on which RB is in.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 02:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: No threat of run will clog those passing lanes we have seen the last 4 games.

The threat of a run game exists simply by the fact that a RB is on the field. For instance, a strong running game doesn’t make your play action passing game any better. Defenses have to play their gaps. If they don’t, all of a sudden you have a guy like Perine running all over your defense.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 02:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: he's 3rd in the NFL in rush yards

Rushing Yards - 3rd (353 yards)
Attempts - 2nd (83 attempts)
YPC (min. 50 attempts) - 11th (4.3 YPC)
Average annual contract - Tied for 6th ($12 mill/year)

So in terms of value, he's performing about where he's expected, if not more.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I don’t like to see anyone injured,but this could turn out to be an advantage.Sort of excited to see what Evans can do.I like him over Perine.But,in this particular game the Bengals need to go airborne,big time.Attack the weakness of the opposing defense.I can tell that Joe Burrow is super fired up for this game.I just feel like he’s up to something.Maybe he sees something in this defense that he can just completely take advantage of.
Reply/Quote

Perine sucks. I hope it's at least 50/50 workload with Evans... 
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 03:14 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I don’t like to see anyone injured,but this could turn out to be an advantage.Sort of excited to see what Evans can do.I like him over Perine.But,in this particular game the Bengals need to go airborne,big time.Attack the weakness of the opposing defense.I can tell that Joe Burrow is super fired up for this game.I just feel like he’s up to something.Maybe he sees something in this defense that he can just completely take advantage of.

Blessing in disguise, even.
Reply/Quote
Some may be underestimating. Dude is the heat to Joe B's cool
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 02:54 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The threat of a run game exists simply by the fact that a RB is on the field. For instance, a strong running game doesn’t make your play action passing game any better. Defenses have to play their gaps. If they don’t, all of a sudden you have a guy like Perine running all over your defense.

I disagree, if they don't fear the run then they won't fall for the fake. Why fall for it when they can stop the run with the front 4? We found that out the last couple years I thought. Specifically with no one falling for the play action, and stopping the run on the way to the QB.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 04:04 PM)jj22 Wrote: I disagree, if they don't fear the run then they won't fall for the fake. Why fall for it when they can stop the run with the front 4? We found that out the last couple years I thought. Specifically with no one falling for the play action, and stopping the run on the way to the QB.

There really isn’t any disagreeing; it’s a fact. This is a very measurable thing and has been studied. Your play action passing game doesn’t improve if you have a more successful running game. They fall for the fake because they have to play their gaps. If the defense doesn’t play their gaps, they will get ran over.

Here is a study that discusses the numbers behind it.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/rushing-success-and-play-action-passing
Reply/Quote
My eye's watching no one respecting our run the last 3 years and teeing off on our qb's is all I am going by.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 02:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: he's 3rd in the NFL in rush yards

Yes I understand that and to me it still seems underwhelming.

It's an eye test thing for me.. Mixon seems to get stopped quite often for such an expensive RB... nor does he get used that much as a receiver.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 03:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Rushing Yards - 3rd (353 yards)
Attempts - 2nd (83 attempts)
YPC (min. 50 attempts) - 11th (4.3 YPC)
Average annual contract - Tied for 6th ($12 mill/year)

So in terms of value, he's performing about where he's expected, if not more.

While Mixon is performing well, it's also worth mentioning that plenty of players on cheap/rookie contracts are doing nearly as well too.
Nick Chubb, David Montgomery, Darrell Henderson, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Jonathan Taylor, Devin Singletary, Chase Edmonds, Antonio Gibson, and Tony Pollard all have 250+ yards and are on relatively cheap contracts. Austin Ekeler also is above 250 yards and has a relatively low contract compared to other good veteran RBs.

I say that because the Bengals could (if they wanted to) look to move on from Mixon and get a different player to save some cost and reinvest in another position.
I don't know if 2022 would really make sense, as the Bengals would only save ~$3.2 mill in cap, but perhaps 2023 could be the year, as the Bengals would save ~$7.35 mill in cap.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote