Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You'll never guess what I saw at the Tazewell Co-Op today
Tazewell is a tiny town where I work

The Co-Op is a farm supply store.

I was buying some tomato plants when a guy pulls up in a 1989 Nissan Skyline.  The Skyline was never sold in the United States, but it was a legendary supercar.  Twin-turbo, all-wheel-drive, 300+ HP and weighing only 3100 lbs.  300 HP does not sound like a lot now, but the '89 Corvette only had 245 HP and weighed 3300 lbs.  And, of course, it was not all-wheel-drive.  Since the Skyline was only sold in Japan it was right hand drive.  The guy said he had had bought it in Atlanta about 5 years ago.  It was very clean and well maintained, but he was bringing in his chainsaw to have it worked on and it was sitting on some newspaper in the passenger floor.  It just seemed so strange and out of place to see a guy hauling a chainsaw around Tazewell in that type of car.

I have always loved these cars.  It eventually evolved into the GTR that Nissan now sells in the US.

I did not take a picture, but it was a burgundy colored version of this

[Image: 1989_nissan_skyline-pic-3781199752964264286.jpeg].
Reply/Quote
Never heard of it but it’s pretty badass looking.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I had a Japanese friend in college, he was always big on the skyline.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Had a Japanese version of an old 74 Celica .. It was originally right side drive, but those cars were built so everything could be switched from right side to left and visaversa..  Took a bit of work, but the original owner swapped it out before i got it.. i drove that car for years before selling it for the engine.. The rest of it pretty much rusted apart, but it was still a great little ride.. Those were great little cars for getting in and out of heavy traffic. Hit the gas and you could be doing 35-40 in a second or two..
I used to tell people that if they're not driving a celica to deliver pizzas they're in the wrong business..LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 02:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Tazewell is a tiny town where I work

I was buying some tomato plants when a guy pulls up in a 1989 Nissan Skyline.  The Skyline was never sold in the United States, but it was a legendary supercar.  Twin-turbo, all-wheel-drive, 300+ HP and weighing only 3100 lbs.  300 HP does not sound like a lot now, but the '89 Corvette only had 245 HP and weighed 3300 lbs.  And, of course, it was not all-wheel-drive.  Since the Skyline was only sold in Japan it was right hand drive.  The guy said he had had bought it in Atlanta about 5 years ago.  It was very clean and well maintained, but he was bringing in his chainsaw to have it worked on and it was sitting on some newspaper in the passenger floor.  It just seemed so strange and out of place to see a guy hauling a chainsaw around Tazewell in that type of car.

I have always loved these cars.  It eventually evolved into the GTR that Nissan now sells in the US.

That's a VERY rare bird indeed. 

Speaking of Tazewell, we hit 2 or 3 races a year at their dirt track down there. It's a GREAT high banked short track. Small world.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I work with a guy who has one. I didn't realize that's what it was until one day when I asked why the wheel was on the wrong side.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 02:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Tazewell is a tiny town where I work

Oh, I know Godzilla well.  Love those cars...not as big a fan of the new ones, as they sound like vacuum cleaners, but I do love the R34
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2021, 04:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's a VERY rare bird indeed. 

Speaking of Tazewell, we hit 2 or 3 races a year at their dirt track down there. It's a GREAT high banked short track. Small world.

They are popping up more and more on auction sites like Bringatrailer.com and Cars&bids.com
Reply/Quote
Looks like one of the Nissan Z cars I had years ago.. I don't remember the number..290? It had a voice that would remind you to fasten the seat belt..really sexy sounding female voice so I would leave the seat belt unfastened just to listen to her.. LOL

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I had a Japanese friend in college, he was always big on the skyline.

Chili?

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 09:22 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Chili?

Lol, no.  The Nissan Skyline.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
In the running for best thread title in the history of these boards if you ask me.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 09:22 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Chili?

The Nissan Bowl of Chili!  I think back then it was the Datsun Bowl of Chili instead though.. 

Reply/Quote