Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds, 1 fourth, all top 100
Browns have turned the #2 pick in this years draft, which was used on a small college QB, into 7 picks in the top 100 over the next three years. That is like getting an entire extra draft year with all the picks in the top third of the draft.

As many of you know I always say that the top picks in the first round are overvalued, and picks after the top 100 are basically just luck. The one fourth round pick they got was the first in the round (from Tennessee) so it is still in the top 100. In my eyes the Browns have just pulled off an incredible coup getting that many quality picks. And they had to do it because they have holes all over the place.

But they still have to use those picks properly. The Redskins got a ton of picks for Ricky Williams and did nothing while the Cowboys got a ton of picks for Hershel Walker and turned them into 3 Super Bowl Championships.

I just hope Hue gets to hang around long enough to get the full benefit of these trades. Three of the picks are in future years (1st ans 2nd in '17, 2nd in '18).
Reply/Quote
I just hope the Browns have the opportunity to keep on trading #2 overall picks for years to come.
Reply/Quote
They certainly came across as a competent organization today. Now it's just time to see if they can realize the potential they created with their maneuvering.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 02:11 AM)treee Wrote: They certainly came across as a competent organization today. Now it's just time to see if they can realize the potential they created with their maneuvering.

They just seem scared to make an actual pick because they know how bad they are at it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 08:01 AM)McC Wrote: They just seem scared to make an actual pick because they know how bad they are at it.

"Crap we're up.  Any offers?  Anything."
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Cleveland made a good pick. Hue off to a good start.
Reply/Quote
they needed picks to rebuild they got those over the next 2 years and still got something they needed badly in a play maker.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 10:18 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Cleveland made a good pick.  Hue off to a good start.

I see him as a "boom or bust" type of player, so he is a gamble.   

But if he "booms" he could be very dangerous.
Reply/Quote
Browns have the next pick off the board (#32) which would have been a first rounder in any other year.

Then they have 3 third round picks (65, 76, 77).

Then the first two picks of the fourt round (99, 100).

That will give them 7 picks, an entire draft class, in the first 100 players off the board.   You can't expect a lot of second and third rounders to step in and play at a high level immediately, but the top 100 is where you need to get a lot of guys who develop into good NFL starters.

And they still have an extra first and two seconds over the next two years.   

And the real shocker is that they got all of this for a small school QB who was nothing close to sure thing.  I give Wentz a 50/50 chance of making it, and a long shot to be a star.  And that is not a big knock on Wentz.  It is just the way QB picks have gone in the past.

I know there have been a lot of great QBs taken in the first round.  But there have also been a lot of losers 

'14.  Manziel-22
'13.  EJ Manuel-16
'12.  RG3-2, Weeden-22
'11.  Locker-8, Gabbert-10, Ponder-12
'10.  Bradford-1, Tebow-25
'09.  Sanchez-5, Freeman-17
'07.  Russell-1, Quinn-22
'06.  Young-3, Lienert-10, 
'05.  Jason Campbell-25
'04.  Loseman-22
'03.  Leftwhich-7, Boller-19, Grossman-22
'02.  Carr-2, Harrington-3, Ramsey-32

That is 23 in just 13 years.  Seven of them were top 5 picks.  Five were top 3.
Reply/Quote
They are tearing it up with trades this year.
Even worse they are drafting some of the players that I like.
Reply/Quote
The Browns just picked another crappy QB. I suppose having 4 on the roster right now and like 80 of thrm since 1999 just wasn't enough.
Reply/Quote
Yea they have a lot of picks but they didn't get a lot of quality in all their selections. Time will tell but the real question is how long will Haslam be patient. A couple of losing seasons Haslam will start feeling the heat to make a move.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2016, 11:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Browns have turned the #2 pick in this years draft, which was used on a small college QB, into 7 picks in the top 100 over the next three years. That is like getting an entire extra draft year with all the picks in the top third of the draft.

As many of you know I always say that the top picks in the first round are overvalued, and picks after the top 100 are basically just luck. The one fourth round pick they got was the first in the round (from Tennessee) so it is still in the top 100. In my eyes the Browns have just pulled off an incredible coup getting that many quality picks. And they had to do it because they have holes all over the place.

But they still have to use those picks properly. The Redskins got a ton of picks for Ricky Williams and did nothing while the Cowboys got a ton of picks for Hershel Walker and turned them into 3 Super Bowl Championships.

I just hope Hue gets to hang around long enough to get the full benefit of these trades. Three of the picks are in future years (1st ans 2nd in '17, 2nd in '18).

The Browns have been trading down for extra picks for years only to discard their selections after a couple of years and reboot all over again with a new GM, coach and QB.

How exactly is this year any different?

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2016, 02:54 AM)BengalChris Wrote: The Browns have been trading down for extra picks for years only to discard their selections after a couple of years and reboot all over again with a new GM, coach and QB.

How exactly is this year any different?

I'm not saying the Browns will be good or this will work, but they no longer employ the people who drafted Weeden, Richardson, Manziel etc. New people can make a difference (think of what Duke Tobin has done for us) or just stink in new ways. The fact that Hue has been talking up RGIII and Cody Kessler makes me think they are trending more towards "stink in new ways" though.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 09:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying the Browns will be good or this will work, but they no longer employ the people who drafted Weeden, Richardson, Manziel etc.  New people can make a difference (think of what Duke Tobin has done for us) or just stink in new ways.  The fact that Hue has been talking up RGIII and Cody Kessler makes me think they are trending more towards "stink in new ways" though.

I think for them qb is irrelevant ATM.   They will use griffin for 2 years and probably go for AJM unless they are so bad they get the  top pick.    Qb is not a concern until they can out a team around him.  
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2016, 12:45 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I think for them qb is irrelevant ATM.   They will use griffin for 2 years and probably go for AJM unless they are so bad they get the  top pick.    Qb is not a concern until they can out a team around him.  

I'm not saying the Browns can just toss Carson Wentz into the fray and get better, but the AFC North isn't the kind of division you can win with a ho-hum QB who is dragged along by the rest of the team.  The Browns haven't won the AFC North since they came back into the league and unsurprisingly the Bengals, Steelers, and Ravens have all had more franchise-caliber QB's than the Browns 0.

Palmer/Dalton, Flacco, and Pig Ben are light-years ahead of what the Browns had at QB.  Who was the last ho-hum QB to win the AFC North?  Kyle Boller or Kordell Stewart with amazing defenses?  I'm just saying the Browns are going to have to be amazing everywhere but QB to be relevant in this division with a bad QB under center.  This isn't the AFC South.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 09:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying the Browns will be good or this will work, but they no longer employ the people who drafted Weeden, Richardson, Manziel etc.  New people can make a difference (think of what Duke Tobin has done for us) or just stink in new ways.  The fact that Hue has been talking up RGIII and Cody Kessler makes me think they are trending more towards "stink in new ways" though.

I'm pretty sure they've been changing the people who have been drafting all along. The ones who drafted Couch were not the ones who drafted Brady Quinn and those were not the ones who drafted Colt McCoy, who were not the ones who drafted Weeden, who were not the ones who drafted Manziel.

The team's leadership is a merry-go-round. From Carmon Policy and Butch Davis to Chris Palmer to Phil Savage and Romeo Crennel to George Kokinis and Eric Mangini to Mike Holmgren and Eric Mangini to Mike Holmgren and Shurmur to Michael Lombardi and Rob Chudzinski to Ray Farmer and Mike Pettine and now to Sashi Brown and Hue Jackson.

There's some seriously high profile names on that list.

Reply/Quote