Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You're allowed to be excited about the young LBs AND be critical of the OL position
I'm excited about a 3 down MLB in Wilson and a toy in Davis-Gaither. Wilson and Pratt's coverage skills while holding up vs the run allows the undersized ADG to make plays.

The OL can be spun by the staff, but it doesn't take Burrow like decision making to see what's there. We pass PFF stats here to judge players so don't disregard the overall product of last year's PFF stats. Yes you had some showing flashes of potential, there are guys coming off of injury.....but are you satisfied with the OL?

The LB's shouldn't have anything held against them, this team had a lot of needs. We need solutions though to fix this. We need one proven starter still. If they have to cut bait on Andy to land Peters in FA or Gabe Jackson in trade so be it. We can be happy we have an actual LB crew finally and look forward to having an average OL crew with another starter. Let's not pretend we posses that yet.
Reply/Quote
I expect they’ll hit OL early and often next year in the draft. Especially if Jordan and XSF struggle.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Josh Jones, the PFF darling, fell to death. Mims, fell quite a bit.

Maybe the entire world has to realise that PFF is bullshit, most of the time.

Look at their damn numbers, not their grades; I've been saying this since 2015.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
The team needed a lot of fixing and this is a great start. Jonah will hopefully suit up this year and they can possibly draft OL next year.
Reply/Quote
What if they actually got Joseph Thuney, the best RG in the league, from the Pats....who really can't afford him. Can you fricking imagine?
Reply/Quote
I do what I want.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Yep, and you can't expect to fix everything in one draft. I think most reasonable fans on here would agree with that.

I can't find a pick I don't like.
Reply/Quote
You can be critical of the Oline and also recognize that we are getting great value at every pick and that we have more needs than picks.

Remember that we took a 4th round guard last year. One we traded up for. Why would a 4th round guard replace him in his rookie year?

I think we're looking for depth on the oline rather than a day 1 starter. The definitive day 1 starters on the Oline were off the board mid way through the 2nd round.

Oline takes time to develop in the NFL and I think they got some really good guys in Jordan, Johnson and Williams last year. I say we give them an additional year to develop and, if they regress, look at taking early picks in the 2021 draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 02:09 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: What if they actually got Joseph Thuney, the best RG in the league, from the Pats....who really can't afford him. Can you fricking imagine?

You gotta let it go, man. Lol

Reply/Quote
I love the picks at LB. My only concern would be going into the season they are so incredibly young at that position (aside from FA signing from Ravens) that the inexperience shows up on game day.
Reply/Quote
I really can't hate on the Bengals for their draft approach and FA approach this year. To be honest, they've done a lot of what we're been crying out for for years now. Aggressive approach to building a good team now.

We've drafted OL's for fun in a few recent drafts, we can't keep doing that. I really like that we've FINALLY given full attention to our LBs as I feel we've really neglected that in drafts since about forever. LB is enormously important in the defence (esp in the AFCN) and I feel like it's generally been a weak point for us. So to see us pick up the value we've gotten is amazing.

The OL is of course still a massive issue. We've got Burrow and given him a pretty stacked receiving lineup, so that'll help to bail him out at times. Hopefully we can just run a bunch of formations/plays which are based on quick throws and we can keep him upright that way. Agree with whats been said elsewhere, next year's draft can be OL-heavy if needs be, I really like the value we've gotten in this draft.
Reply/Quote
not getting a comp pick or two hurts
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 01:54 PM)phil413 Wrote: I'm excited about a 3 down MLB in Wilson and a toy in Davis-Gaither.  Wilson and Pratt's coverage skills while holding up vs the run allows the undersized ADG to make plays.

The OL can be spun by the staff, but it doesn't take Burrow like decision making to see what's there.  We pass PFF stats here to judge players so don't disregard the overall product of last year's PFF stats.  Yes you had some showing flashes of potential, there are guys coming off of injury.....but are you satisfied with the OL?

The LB's shouldn't have anything held against them, this team had a lot of needs.  We need solutions though to fix this.  We need one proven starter still.  If they have to cut bait on Andy to land Peters in FA or Gabe Jackson in trade so be it.  We can be happy we have an actual LB crew finally and look forward to having an average OL crew with another starter.  Let's not pretend we posses that yet.

I forgot about Gabe Jackson being on the trade table from Vegas. Vegas??? Lol

To me though, there's probably a reason why they have a supposed good Guard on the market. Could they eventually just cut him for the cap space since they just took John Simpson? Then, the Bengals could get his services after letting go of Dalton.

I'm still hopeful for Thuney since they can't come to a long term deal with BB. We could pay him fairly well after releasing Dalton and maybe have to get rid of another salary as well. Let's get creative Katie!!!!!! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
In the end I see it this way..LB was worse position tha Oline and we actually added a LB position going to 4 starters so the need was much greater than any position
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 02:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You gotta let it go, man. Lol

I know, I know...but this board would probably shut down the internet, Joe Burrow would predict a Super Bowl, and Piggy would likely retire.  You have to admit...it is pretty fun to picture, no matter how unlikely it is of happening. 
Reply/Quote
We got good picks, regards of who had what and where. There are still rounds left to draft offensive line guys to continue building the line and developing. Prince Wag, Shane Lemieux, Netane Muti, Hakeem Adeniji, Yasir Durant, Mike Onwenu, Throckmorton, Alex Taylor, Trey Adams. These guys will be around for one reason or another and have a lot of potential upsides. Hell, a guy like Little dick Adams might fall out of the draft altogether, get picked up in UDFA and be a legit starter if he can stay healthy.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 02:37 PM)Okeana Wrote: We got good picks, regards of who had what and where. There are still rounds left to draft offensive line guys to continue building the line and developing. Prince Wag, Shane Lemieux, Netane Muti, Hakeem Adeniji, Yasir Durant, Mike Onwenu, Throckmorton, Alex Taylor, Trey Adams. These guys will be around for one reason or another and have a lot of potential upsides. Hell, a guy like Little dick Adams might fall out of the draft altogether, get picked up in UDFA and be a legit starter if he can stay healthy.

Is the Trey Adams slide really all over the dick comment? Or is there other reasons?

Reply/Quote
Most people that know football, understand that continuity and reps together is what develops offensive line talent. The best way to develop the OL that the Bengals already have, is to give them more reps. By building a strong defense, the offense will have the ball more. More possession time = more reps together = more rapid development.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 02:25 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: I love the picks at LB. My only concern would be going into the season they are so incredibly young at that position (aside from FA signing from Ravens) that the inexperience shows up on game day.

It's OK! Let them take their lumps this year with Burrow. Pratt took his last year and then came on in the second half of the season. We aren't expecting play offs this year. Just growth and gelling. Year 2 I would say we should start with higher expectations. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 02:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Most people that know football, understand that continuity and reps together is what develops offensive line talent.  The best way to develop the OL that the Bengals already have, is to give them more reps.  By building a strong defense, the offense will have the ball more.  More possession time = more reps together = more rapid development.

Continuity and reps matter little if there is a lack of talent.

We'll see, I guess...but I'm not as sold on some of the guys up front as the staff and FO seem to be.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote