Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You really need to stop
(11-11-2019, 12:45 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. We spend hours debating what the right moves are...but they won't make them.

The bar is so low that trading for an injured Cordy Glenn was seen as some revolutionary move. Look how good the Steelers look for trading for Fitzpatrick!

Yep.  You and I completely disagree on many levels on the players and positions, however we at least agree that if it isn't working then you have to make adjustments.  Be it trading for a player or signing a player or getting the right position coach in to get the players performing at the level that is expected of them.

I was one wanting make an offer to the Dolphins for Fitzpatrick (though I was offering a 2nd and the highest I would go is 2nd and a conditional 4th that could be a 3rd).  With Minkah and Bates as our safeties, it would have been a nice upgrade and combo for us for a couple of years.

Now, I am hoping we don't go QB in round 1 (not because we don't need one) but because we have so many other holes to fill that taking a QB in the 1st would seem like a wasted pick.  However MB will probably take one of the big names being floated out by the media, not because he wants to win, but because he knows the hype will fill the seats.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 12:59 AM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: Yep.  You and I completely disagree on many levels on the players and positions, however we at least agree that if it isn't working then you have to make adjustments.  Be it trading for a player or signing a player or getting the right position coach in to get the players performing at the level that is expected of them.

I was one wanting make an offer to the Dolphins for Fitzpatrick (though I was offering a 2nd and the highest I would go is 2nd and a conditional 4th that could be a 3rd).  With Minkah and Bates as our safeties, it would have been a nice upgrade and combo for us for a couple of years.

Now, I am hoping we don't go QB in round 1 (not because we don't need one) but because we have so many other holes to fill that taking a QB in the 1st would seem like a wasted pick.  However MB will probably take one of the big names being floated out by the media, not because he wants to win, but because he knows the hype will fill the seats.

I don't believe he thinks the hype will fill seats as much as i believe he thinks a "bell cow" QB will actually help them win. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown and CO only care about winning to the extent that it keeps butts in the seats. So no, they don't live in lala land, they are laughing all the way to the bank.

No one from the outside entrrs the family circle with the possible exception of Tobin. If they were to hire an outsider, he would probably blow the whistle on their sorry asses.

For instance,
The reason the coaches scout is that it saves money. Nothing more, nothing less.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 11:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My current defense against the bad Bengals was that my CFL team is good, but they just had a Bengals-style playoff meltdown today and they're out...or should I say they are "oot."

I am guessing you are referring to the Stampeders? Don't worry I sat through the entire -21c game until the bitter frozen end. I also had to endure the torment of my friend who is a Raven's fan sitting next to me, but I still wore my Bengals toque with pride (probably the only one in the stadium)!
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 02:42 AM)CalgaryBengalsFan Wrote: I am guessing you are referring to the Stampeders? Don't worry I sat through the entire -21c game until the bitter frozen end. I also had to endure the torment of my friend who is a Raven's fan sitting next to me, but I still wore my Bengals toque with pride (probably the only one in the stadium)!

That second half was brutal in so many ways.  Ah well.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 02:42 AM)CalgaryBengalsFan Wrote: I am guessing you are referring to the Stampeders? Don't worry I sat through the entire -21c game until the bitter frozen end. I also had to endure the torment of my friend who is a Raven's fan sitting next to me, but I still wore my Bengals toque with pride (probably the only one in the stadium)!

My Bombers beat you but you guys have been the class of the league for 10 years.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 12:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That second half was brutal in so many ways.  Ah well.

It all came down to running. We were built for passing. Don Jackson is the worst running back in the league. Throwing in -21 is near impossible. Oh well 3 straight grey cup appearances... Time to fill in some holes and we will be ready to go again next season. Only if I could experience one freaking Bengals playoff win. I can't even imagine what that is like ;(
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 12:36 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: My Bombers beat you but you guys have been the class of the league for 10 years.

Bombers are good. I hope you or Hamilton win this year. It is good to see some parity in the league. Come to think of it, the bombers have not win since 1990, isn't that the last time that the Bengals won a playoff game? At least one of the streaks has a chance at ending!
Reply/Quote
really looking forward to the XFL
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 02:22 AM)SladeX Wrote: Mike Brown and CO only care about winning to the extent that it keeps butts in the seats. So no, they don't live in lala land, they are laughing all the way to the bank.

No one from the outside entrrs the family circle with the possible exception of Tobin. If they were to hire an outsider, he would probably blow the whistle on their sorry asses.

For instance,
The reason the coaches scout is that it saves money. Nothing more, nothing less.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Bengals franchise the only business the Brown family runs or at least the bread winner for them? I thought I read something years ago that all other NFL owners had a main business/company and then they bought their franchise. If that is true then they'll never spend for a winner as long as they're already making millions as losers. As much as it ticks me off as a fan of this sorry team since their first Superbowl if I didn't have to try and still made millions I wouldn't care what anyone says about me either. 

The only way to proactively do anything, as stated by many here before, is to completely stop going to all games and buying any merchandise related to the team. 

Of course then they'd probably use that as an excuse to move somewhere else. 
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
The Bengals play in the NFL league but are not an NFL level product.

People can blame the coaching staff and they are partly to blame, but the organization hired the staff and did not make trades. How can the Front Office run this product on the field and have any sense of compunction?

I understand they want money. Any business wants to make money. But how do you have Paul Brown, one of the greatest innovators in the NFL, as a family member, the face of the organization and the name on your stadium and put out a product like the 2019 Bengals?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 06:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The Bengals play in the NFL league but are not an NFL level product.  

People can blame the coaching staff and they are partly to blame, but the organization hired the staff and did not make trades.  How can the Front Office run this product on the field and have any sense of compunction?  

I understand they want money.  Any business wants to make money.  But how do you have Paul Brown, one of the greatest innovators in the NFL, as a family member, the face of the organization and the name on your stadium and put out a product like the 2019 Bengals?

Is it possible that in Paul Brown's day you had to win to make any money? Maybe that's why he was so good? 
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 11:49 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Having any kind of "hope" for this team because Mike Brown has always been a half-meaure type of person who doesn't believe in 21st Century NFL football. 

Everything he's ever done and said points to the fact, that you've seen on the field, that he's not willing or capable of doing what is necessary to make this team a legitimate contender. 

Right now, he can't even make this team mediocre.

The sooner fans get it in their heads that no matter what happens--draft, baby steps in FA, HC and coordinator hires, any of it--this team with Mike Brown as the owner will never put a playoff winning, super bowl contending team, on the field. Ever.

Until proven otherwise, there's no reason to believe that anyone in his family will either. 

It's long past time to stop hoping in "hope" because Mike Brown is the Kryptonite to hope and expectations. 

There is ZERO hope that the Bengals will ever be anything other than the doormat of every other NFL franchise from this point on, short of a change in ownership. 

:andy: :andy: :andy:

After 50 years, I can't watch the Bengals any more unless they are playing someone who has my fantasy players.

I continue to watch and post on this board only because of the many great people here- who are almost the only good thing associated with this disaster of an organization.

The NFL should have the European practice of relegating the worst teams. Mike Brown would actually lose some real money unless he started running the Bengals like a real for profit company instead of a benevolent employment society for his family and friends, none of whom are or will be held accountable for this hot mess. 
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 12:09 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: The most astonishing thing to me is how Mike, Katie, Troy, Paul and Duke can all sit around the table looking at each other, hearing each other talk, listening to each others ideas...and NOT realize they need to bring in an extremely qualified football person to run this organization. 

I mean, they live in some alternate reality in their inner circle, where they consider themselves competent. The rest of the sports world can see that they aren't, but they are immune to the blatantly obvious...and think those who criticize them (fans and media) are the true clueless ones.

:andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy:
Reply/Quote
The only real way to fix this team is to obtain #1 pick this year, hope the college QBs do really well in their bowl games/combines and then TRADE OUT. If you can trade back to 2nd to 6th pick, then trade back again for even more picks. Stockpile picks for 2021 or 2022.

This team needs so many pieces before taking one of these QBs IMO, that there is no point in taking one.

I'm sure they will do something boneheaded though. Excited to watch the drama unfold.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 07:39 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The only real way to fix this team is to obtain #1 pick this year, hope the college QBs do really well in their bowl games/combines and then TRADE OUT. If you can trade back to 2nd to 6th pick, then trade back again for even more picks. Stockpile picks for 2021 or 2022.

This team needs so many pieces before taking one of these QBs IMO, that there is no point in taking one.

I'm sure they will do something boneheaded though. Excited to watch the drama unfold.

Trading down is the WORST possible move we could make.

We have a very small scouting staff and have been whiffing on a lot picks. We need impact players. You stay at 1 and select the best impact player you can find.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 09:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Trading down is the WORST possible move we could make.

We have a very small scouting staff and have been whiffing on a lot picks. We need impact players. You stay at 1 and select the best impact player you can find.

Yeah. I just don't get the reasoning that you want to give this team, not only a worse pick than they should have in the first, but more picks later in the draft...that they can screw up.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 09:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Trading down is the WORST possible move we could make.

No, actually, it isn't.

Trade down a few picks, now you have 2 1st round picks in the following draft. Trade down again and you potentially have 3 1st round picks. I'm not saying trade down and make those picks THIS year.

Do you actually trust this scouting staff to not whiff on the #1 overall pick?

You are using Akili Smith logic.
Reply/Quote
I haven't watched a game since halftime of the Steelers MNF game in Week 5.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 10:58 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: No, actually, it isn't.

Trade down a few picks, now you have 2 1st round picks in the following draft. Trade down again and you potentially have 3 1st round picks. I'm not saying trade down and make those picks THIS year.

Do you actually trust this scouting staff to not whiff on the #1 overall pick?

You are using Akili Smith logic.

It won't work here.

Look...when we took AJ Green...the Falcons offered us a trade down with them. The Browns took it. The Falcons took Julio Jones.

WHO came out better in that?

When you have bad scouting/management/coaching...it's easier to hit on a Top 5 pick than lower picks.

Now IF we were the Steelers or Patriots, then more picks make sense.
Reply/Quote