Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You reap what you sow....
(11-23-2021, 04:15 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think the idea of small thefts not being felonies is, generally, a good thing, but all laws have side effects and if thieves are actively deciding to steal $949 worth of goods to stay under that felony point, then maybe they can pass an addendum that knowingly staying under the cap (if you can prove that) can be used as evidence during sentencing, potentially making it a felony again.

Also, I imagine if you could prove these thefts were a coordinated effort, I could see all the thieves being charged under the blanket cost of goods stolen, making it a felony again. Kind of like a RICO situation.

The question I'm curious about is this:
The Prop 47 that lowered the felony to misdemeanor when the value of the good was below $950 was passed in 2014. I guess the question here is, did that cause a spike from that point forward? Or is this a more recent trend that may be associated with the pandemic?

As for the whole "democrat run cities" meme, it's difficult to get reliable data for what crime looks like in Republican run cities, because they're relatively rare, especially when it comes to larger city size. Only 26 of the 100 most populous cities have Republican mayors, with only 3 in the top 30 cities. The largest city with a Republican Mayor at the moment is Jacksonville, Florida and their crime rates are higher than the national and state average as well (6.34 violent crimes per 1000 citizens vs the statewide average of 4.0 per 1000 citizens).

I am open to hearing more about it though. Democrats do suck, after all.

The RICO Act. LOL  Pretty much destroyed the mafia.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 08:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Another awful person disguised as someone who “cares”.  Far left progressives are just horrible people.

Do we know for sure this staffer is a "progressive"? 

And that all progressives are like her? 
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 05:07 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The RICO Act. LOL  Pretty much destroyed the mafia.

RICO Act go brrr. Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 08:49 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It’s funny when people who blamed everything on the President complain when people blame everything on the President.

What a wonderful world it would be if people took a little more time with cause/effect analysis rather than jumping to the "blame" part. 

We might be better able to sort out what presidents are actually doing that is blameworthy from that which is not. 

I don't have a problem with blaming presidents for inattention to duty or misrepresenting policies. 

The public is supposed to hold them accountable. 

But it gets all fuzzy quickly when we just compare the accusations from "both sides" and not the substance, anaysis or basis for the accusations. 
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 05:07 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The RICO Act. LOL  Pretty much destroyed the mafia.

Basically, getting the Feds on your ass is a quick ticket to long term imprisonment.  I think RICO, and the lack of actual understanding about it, is what prompted all the "Rittenhouse crossed state lines" crap that got spewed from day one.  
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 06:06 PM)Dill Wrote: Do we know for sure this staffer is a "progressive"? 

And that all progressives are like her? 

Yes we know it because she sounds exactly like every other far left progressive.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 06:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Basically, getting the Feds on your ass is a quick ticket to long term imprisonment.  I think RICO, and the lack of actual understanding about it, is what prompted all the "Rittenhouse crossed state lines" crap that got spewed from day one.  

Even at that crossing state lines is legal and not engaging in organized crime. Just the media and the prosecutor throwing crap against the wall to see what would stick.
Reply/Quote
More lunacy.

Quote:Smash-and-grab looters targeted stores across the country ahead of Thanksgiving and over Black Friday weekend, robbing stores of thousands of dollars in merchandise and even leaving one California security guard dead as he tried to protect a news crew that was reporting on the crimes.
Reply/Quote
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/joe-biden-s-growing-list-of-failures-opinion/ar-AARixMv

You know it's bad when MSN is printing articles like this.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 12:15 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/joe-biden-s-growing-list-of-failures-opinion/ar-AARixMv

I don't think throwing their banner on a Newsweek Op-Ed counts as printing an article, but whatever floats your penis.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 12:57 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I don't think throwing their banner on a Newsweek Op-Ed counts as printing an article, but whatever floats your penis.

It's not like Newsweek is a bastion of the conservative/Republican party either. But if you really feel compelled to throw darts at me (& my privates) instead of the issues addressed in the  article itself then go ahead. 
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 12:15 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/joe-biden-s-growing-list-of-failures-opinion/ar-AARixMv

No matter how many places admit Biden's failures or plummeting ratings there will always be people who swear that "The media NEVER says anything other than how awesome Biden is."
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 01:04 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  It's not like Newsweek is a bastion of the conservative/Republican party either. But if you really feel compelled to throw darts at me (& my privates) instead of the issues addressed in the  article itself then go ahead. 

Where's the dart? It was an observation on the link you posted. If that constitutes an attack on you then you should probably get off the internet because this shit is about to destroy your entire existence.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 01:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: No matter how many places admit Biden's failures or plummeting ratings there will always be people who swear that "The media NEVER says anything other than how awesome Biden is."

To be fair, that often might just be an example of projection. FOX* did never say anything but how awesome Trump is. Of course one would assume the perceived other side's media would logically do the same thing, only even worse.
Kinda how those that shout snowflakes the loudest are usually the biggest snowflakes themselves.

(*I know there are a few exceptions)
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 01:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: No matter how many places admit Biden's failures or plummeting ratings there will always be people who swear that "The media NEVER says anything other than how awesome Biden is."

I think a lot of those people don't really follow much MSM. They're convinced it's all fake news.

Certainly, they do not recognize structural differences between the centrist, mainstream media and Fox/Newsmax/OANN, which make the MSM generally more trustworthy.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 06:20 PM)Dill Wrote: I think a lot of those people don't really follow much MSM. They're convinced it's all fake news.

Certainly, they do not recognize structural differences between the centrist, mainstream media and Fox/Newsmax/OANN, which make the MSM generally more trustworthy.

You mean the MSM that continually lied about the facts of the Rittenhouse case or labeled the Waukesha mass murder an "accident?"  Yeah, there's a very good reason why people find them untrustworthy, because that's exactly what they are.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 06:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You mean the MSM that continually lied about the facts of the Rittenhouse case or labeled the Waukesha mass murder an "accident?"  Yeah, there's a very good reason why people find them untrustworthy, because that's exactly what they are.

Hardly know how to respond to this kind of hyperbole.

I don't want to go over the Part/whole problem again. Or the "hasty generalization" fallacy.
Or reconstruct whatever standard of "trustworthy media" is assumed here. 
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 06:52 PM)Dill Wrote: Hardly know how to respond to this kind of hyperbole.

You just misused that word.  I think the word you're looking for is factual.

Quote:I don't want to go over the Part/whole problem again. Or the "hasty generalization" fallacy.
Or reconstruct whatever standard of "trustworthy media" is assumed here. 

I wouldn't either if a simple Google search would prove me wrong about the consistent lying about the facts in the Rittenhouse case.  I do appreciate you're not wasting my time asking for sources that you won't bother to read, so thank you for that.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 07:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You just misused that word.  I think the word you're looking for is factual.

I wouldn't either if a simple Google search would prove me wrong about the consistent lying about the facts in the Rittenhouse case.  I do appreciate you're not wasting my time asking for sources that you won't bother to read, so thank you for that.

LOL did I let you off the hook? 

You weren't going to provide any kind of factual basis for you claim anyway, if "simple Google search" was your standard.

Settling whether you claims are hyperbole or fact goes nowhere without some prior agreement/standard of what counts as "trustworthy" in media accounts, and what counts as MSM.  Probably some definition of "lie" in the context of reporting needs to be added as well. You've shown no aptitude for or interest in this kind of groundwork in the past.

As for the last bolded--you've no reason to assume I don't read evidence presented to me in posted discussions.
E.g. I have never responded to another's post with "TLBig GrinR"; but the record here is replete with examples of your willingness to make sweeping claims about sources you have not troubled yourself to read/view/understand. 

So again, the projection of your behavior on to me. We just had another example of that recently on the Rittenhouse thread when, after accusing me of "bad faith" and "deliberate falsehood," you asserted later that you had worked to avoid ad hominem and I had not--though you could provide no examples of my bad behavior. 
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 07:46 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL did I let you off the hook? 

You weren't going to provide any kind of factual basis for you claim anyway, if "simple Google search" was your standard.

Settling whether you claims are hyperbole or fact goes nowhere without some prior agreement/standard of what counts as "trustworthy" in media accounts, and what counts as MSM.  Probably some definition of "lie" in the context of reporting needs to be added as well. You've shown no aptitude for or interest in this kind of groundwork in the past.

It's rather obvious that the media lied about the Rittenhouse case as they were scrambling to issue "corrections" after the verdict.  This isn't exactly an unknown thing.  You heard "crossed state lines with a weapon" or "his mother long after it was proven that did not ever happen.

Quote:As for the last bolded--you've no reason to assume I don't read evidence presented to me in posted discussions.
E.g. I have never responded to another's post with "TLBig GrinR"; but the record here is replete with examples of your willingness to make sweeping claims about sources you have not troubled yourself to read/view/understand. 

Sure I do.  You asked for proof of a claim in the Rittenhouse thread, that the weapon did not cross state lines.  I gave it to you.  Then you ignored it and restated your erroneous position, then I posted the part that specifically disproved it.  Then you ran away.

Quote:So again, the projection of your behavior on to me. We just had another example of that recently on the Rittenhouse thread when, after accusing me of "bad faith" and "deliberate falsehood," you asserted later that you had worked to avoid ad hominem and I had not--though you could provide no examples of my bad behavior. 

You do raise a good point about projection, I just don't think you understand why.  I do thank you for reminding me why I, and pretty much everyone else, don't bother responding to you anymore.  It's certainly not conducive to my desire to remain civil in this sub-forum.  So, I do honestly thank you for that.  Please enjoy the rest of your day.
Reply/Quote