Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Defensive Playmakers
This should be the draft strategy. We have a ton of youth on the Oline. Fix the oline in FA (like we did the defense). Go defense defense defense in this draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
CB, End, 3T, and another coverage LB would be nice to have.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 04:46 PM)J24 Wrote: CB, End, 3T, and another coverage LB would be nice to have.

I doubt they will draft a Defensive End early with Hubbard Hendrickson Ossai Sample and Kareem. Now pass rushing defensive tackle I could see if they can't resign Larry Ogunjobi and BJ Hill but that's one of those positions that I dont see alot of options in this class. Always need corners and the linebacker core always takes a beating.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Whenever I see a thread about a position to focus on, it reminds me the team has so many needs. I don't disagree with the OP, but the Bengals do need OL and perhaps even a TE?

For defense, get talented CBs and LBs.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2021, 10:09 AM)Synric Wrote: I doubt they will draft a Defensive End early with Hubbard Hendrickson Ossai Sample and Kareem. Now pass rushing defensive tackle I could see if they can't resign Larry Ogunjobi and BJ Hill but that's one of those positions that I dont see alot of options in this class. Always need corners and the linebacker core always takes a beating.

Defensive End is like CB you can never have too many quality players at that position.  Hendrickson played over 65% of the snaps this season and Hubbard has played 80% of the snaps. Getting an extra guy in their too take away snaps from them would be nice.
J24

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2021, 05:35 PM)J24 Wrote: Defensive End is like CB you can never have too many quality players at that position.  Hendrickson played over 65% of the snaps this season and Hubbard has played 80% of the snaps. Getting an extra guy in their too take away snaps from them would be nice.

They already got a guy this past draft - Ossai. He's just on IR.
Can't write him off after just missing his first season.
Besides, too many other needs to address.
CB and OL are my top two priorities, as I'm looking to get rid of Waynes and I don't think Bengals will address all the OL spots in FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 10:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: They already got a guy this past draft - Ossai. He's just on IR.
CB and OL are my top two priorities, as I'm looking to get rid of Waynes and I don't think Bengals will address all the OL spots in FA.

Agreed about the priorities and admittedly, my draft knowledge is only what the online experts tell me but it sure does seem like CBs are going to be available when the Bengals pick. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 11:56 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Agreed about the priorities and admittedly, my draft knowledge is only what the online experts tell me but it sure does seem like CBs are going to be available when the Bengals pick. 

There are a LOT of good CBs in this draft.
I think they might be able to wait for one to drop in the 2nd, but I'd hate to miss out on one of Booth, Elam, Gardner, or McCreary.
I think Derion Kendrick is a good talent in Rd 2, but he has a red flag due to his off-field arrest earlier this year for drug and gun charges and subsequently dismissed from Clemson. Bengals of old may still take the chance on him, but I'm not sure the new Bengals would.

My preference for this draft in Rd 1:
- Tyler Linderbaum (assuming they don't get a C in FA)
- One of the blue chip prospects other than Linderbaum if they fall (Neal, Thibodeaux, Hutchinson, Stingley, Hamilton)
- CB otherwise (especially if they get a C in FA)
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 12:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There are a LOT of good CBs in this draft.
I think they might be able to wait for one to drop in the 2nd, but I'd hate to miss out on one of Booth, Elam, Gardner, or McCreary.
I think Derion Kendrick is a good talent in Rd 2, but he has a red flag due to his off-field arrest earlier this year for drug and gun charges and subsequently dismissed from Clemson. Bengals of old may still take the chance on him, but I'm not sure the new Bengals would.

My preference for this draft in Rd 1:
- Tyler Linderbaum (assuming they don't get a C in FA)
- One of the blue chip prospects other than Linderbaum if they fall (Neal, Thibodeaux, Hutchinson, Stingley, Hamilton)
- CB otherwise (especially if they get a C in FA)

He's one guy I've read about and watched play on TV. Depending on how the season finishes for the Bengals, he might not be available when Duke picks. That's why my inclination is to say we get a CB in round 1. There are enough good ones that a talented player is bound to be there for picking.
Reply/Quote
Sauce is the guy, if he's there when we draft.

It's up to either him or Linderbaum, IMO.

Wouldn't mind Coby Bryant in the later rounds too; he's not Sauce, but he's a great 3rd/4th CB.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 10:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: They already got a guy this past draft - Ossai. He's just on IR.

Ossai is just a pass rusher though the Bengals need a complete player on the line besides Hubbard.  

As for offensive line I think Duke, Zac, and Pollack are way more comfortable the line then the public. They did draft 3 players on the Offensive Line last year 2 guys in Particular Smith and Carmen could be long-term starters. Also they seem to be high on Hakeem at G. Plus they will probably sign one of Rieff and Spain in the off-season.
J24

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:27 PM)J24 Wrote: Ossai is just a pass rusher though the Bengals need a complete player on the line besides Hubbard.  

As for offensive line I think Duke, Zac, and Pollack are way more comfortable the line then the public. They did draft 3 players on the Offensive Line last year 2 guys in Particular Smith and Carmen could be long-term starters. Also they seem to be high on Hakeem at G. Plus they will probably sign one of Rieff and Spain in the off-season.

Cam Sample has a 67.4 run defense grade according to PFF. He can be the base 4-3 DE and rotate in with Ossai on passing downs.
I'm fine with getting another DE on Day 3, but I don't want to see a premium pick spent on DE when there are clearly bigger needs.

If the Bengals can properly address the needs in FA though prior to the draft, I'm cool with DE.

I find it interesting though that you say the Bengals are comfortable with the OL.
You could then use the same "excuse" for the DEs too.
They just drafted three DEs this past draft (Ossai, Sample, Hubert).
They just signed Hendrickson to a big contract.
They just re-signed Hubbard.

I would bet they view the DEs in higher regard than the OL going into 2022.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Cam Sample has a 67.4 run defense grade according to PFF. He can be the base 4-3 DE and rotate in with Ossai on passing downs.
I'm fine with getting another DE on Day 3, but I don't want to see a premium pick spent on DE when there are clearly bigger needs.

If the Bengals can properly address the needs in FA though prior to the draft, I'm cool with DE.

I find it interesting though that you say the Bengals are comfortable with the OL.

And it’s not even close. We have 2 guys in Hendrickson and Hubbard that are among the very best in the league at what they do. And then some decent developmental guys behind them for depth.

Jonah and Reiff are the best the OL has, and neither are as good at their respective positions as our DE’s are.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Cam Sample has a 67.4 run defense grade according to PFF. He can be the base 4-3 DE and rotate in with Ossai on passing downs.

1.)I feel  Their comfortable with both starting Lines as of right now. If they Resign both Spain and Rieff to contracts in the off-season then Offensive Line isn't that big of deal as everyone wants it to be. C is really the only position of worry and historically it's not a position the front office prioritizes.

2.) Hubert is a 7th RD pick coming of an major injury and Oassi is also coming off a major injury. Both are still question marks going into next season. As for Sample he is more of a 3T than DE(Reminds me of Gilberry in that regard).

3.) Ideally you want 5 OL to play the whole game. There is very little rotation that goes into the Offensive Line unless something bad happens. On the other hand a defensive line expects to play 8 or 9 guys a game. Therefore a backup D-Lineman is more valuable than an offensive lineman. 

4th.) We supposedly don't draft for Need( I tend not to agree with that) & even if we did the biggest need on the Offensive Line is a center. There is only 1 guy worth a first RD pick at that position and he is currently going in the top 10 of the first Rd. 

All in All I like the current Roster I don't really see a major need outside of CB and Center. I I foresee a ton of flexibility in this draft and could see Duke go in multiple directions. I wouldn't mind a T drafted early in the draft either FYI.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 06:40 PM)J24 Wrote: 1.)I feel  Their comfortable with both starting Lines as of right now. If they Resign both Spain and Rieff to contracts in the off-season then Offensive Line isn't that big of deal as everyone wants it to be. C is really the only position of worry and historically it's not a position the front office prioritizes.

2.) Hubert is a 7th RD pick coming of an major injury and Oassi is also coming off a major injury. Both are still question marks going into next season. As for Sample he is more of a 3T than DE(Reminds me of Gilberry in that regard).

3.) Ideally you want 5 OL to play the whole game. There is very little rotation that goes into the Offensive Line unless something bad happens. On the other hand a defensive line expects to play 8 or 9 guys a game. Therefore a backup D-Lineman is more valuable than an offensive lineman. 

4th.) We supposedly don't draft for Need( I tend not to agree with that) & even if we did the biggest need on the Offensive Line is a center. There is only 1 guy worth a first RD pick at that position and he is currently going in the top 10 of the first Rd. 

All in All I like the current Roster I don't really see a major need outside of CB and Center. I I foresee a ton of flexibility in this draft and could see Duke go in multiple directions. I wouldn't mind a T drafted early in the draft either FYI.

If you decide to re-sign Reiff, you need to have someone grooming behind him. Not only because of his age, but his lack of durability.
Reiff has only played a full season twice in his career - 2013 and 2015. He's been able to play double-digits every season, but the team can't rely on him staying healthy the whole season.

I'm not sure where D'Ante Smith ends up playing at, as they put him primarily at OG this season. Prince is bad. Team doesn't seems to have Fred Johnson as the last OT off the bench. As such, they probably could use a better option for backup OT than what they currently have.

I can see a DL taken in Rd 3, but I'm prioritizing OL over DL. Bengals have two high-paid edge starters and have Ossai and Sample to rotate in. I see Sample more like a Frostee Rucker or Jon Fanene - base DE who needs to move inside on passing downs. 

If the Bengals wanna use a mid-round pick on DE after they address CB and OL, I'm fine with that. I just don't like much of the OL options after Rd 2 and I think you can find a rotational DE in the mid-rounds.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

(12-17-2021, 06:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you decide to re-sign Reiff, you need to have someone grooming behind him. Not only because of his age, but his lack of durability.
Reiff has only played a full season twice in his career - 2013 and 2015. He's been able to play double-digits every season, but the team can't rely on him staying healthy the whole season.

I'm not sure where D'Ante Smith ends up playing at, as they put him primarily at OG this season. Prince is bad. Team doesn't seems to have Fred Johnson as the last OT off the bench. As such, they probably could use a better option for backup OT than what they currently have.

I can see a DL taken in Rd 3, but I'm prioritizing OL over DL. Bengals have two high-paid edge starters and have Ossai and Sample to rotate in. I see Sample more like a Frostee Rucker or Jon Fanene - base DE who needs to move inside on passing downs. 

If the Bengals wanna use a mid-round pick on DE after they address CB and OL, I'm fine with that. I just don't like much of the OL options after Rd 2 and I think you can find a rotational DE in the mid-rounds.

I am with Ocho here. He pretty much nailed my thoughts. J24 makes a lot of good points but depth on the OL is a bigger
deal than he is making out. You are bound to have an OL go down or even 2 in a season, so you need at least 2 quality 
backups at the very least to step in at anytime and not have a lot of downfall in play. Ossai and Hubert coming back with 
Cam having a second year in the system should really help the End position next season. Also think Cam Sample has 
upside and could become a good pass rusher to go along with his good run stopping.

We need a Center and for our young guys to come along while signing at the very least Spain. You still have a question 
mark at RT, a very valuable position. CB is where we go in the 1st round I am sure of it so we can get a BPA with talent.

Hope we bring back both Spain and Reiff and add a Center in FA. This opens up the Draft IMO.

Lindenbaum won't be there when we pick unless something crazy happens.
Reply/Quote