Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Biggest Sports Disappointment ???
Before last night it was the '89 Superbowl loss to the Niners with 0:34 left. But last night takes the cake. I thought going into the game the Bengals were better and after three hours of game, nothing changed my mind. We had ourselves in position to bring it home , only to have it taken away right at the end. Biggest sports disappointment in my 59 years, hands down. Kentucky losing on the Laettner bucket or losing Final Four games pales in comparison to this.

What about you? What are some of your biggest sports disappointments and how does this rank along side those?
Reply/Quote
Probably Pistons vs Spurs around 2004. Pistons had that game and were up in the series. Didn't cover a guy shooting a 3.

Dodgers had some too recently in the WS but finally got a title.

It's hard to win championships. Easier to get close and lose. I have many more stories of close losses than wins.

The Miami Hurricanes against Ohio State with the late flag in the endzone.
Reply/Quote
There's been plenty in 55+ years, but the top five certainly would revolve around this team.

1) SB LVI (a new champion!)
2) SB XXIII
3) SB XVI
4) 2015 WC-round game
5) 2005WC-round game

Four and five were also rage-inducing.

Feel crappier just typing this Sad
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
The 2015 playoff loss to the Steelers was the worst for me. It was very close to ending my time with this team. It remains the only time that I ever said I was done, and the following three seasons are the only ones since 2001 in which I didn’t watch every single game. I missed probably 12 games total over the 3 years. I just no longer wanted to be a fan of this team. I was 100% done with Marvin Lewis and his undisciplined buffoons.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
David Klingler
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:08 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: There's been plenty in 55+ years, but the top five certainly would revolve around this team.  

1) SB LVI (a new champion!)
2) SB XXIII
3) SB XVI
4) 2015 WC-round game
5) 2005WC-round game

Four and five were also rage-inducing.

Feel crappier just typing this  Sad

Oh the Hill fumble and Burfict/Pacman thing was bad too. Too many to remember.
Reply/Quote
This one 100%
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:12 PM)Tony Wrote: This one 100%

It felt like we had it won.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It felt like we had it won.

That's why it's 100% the worst one..  All the Bs with the flags and what ifs with Chase being wide open on that 4th down make this one hard....
Reply/Quote
Christian Laitner..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:01 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Before last night it was the '89 Superbowl loss to the Niners with 0:34 left. But last night takes the cake. I thought going into the game the Bengals were better and after three hours of game, nothing changed my mind. We had ourselves in position to bring it home , only to have it taken away right at the end. Biggest sports disappointment in my 59 years, hands down. Kentucky losing on the Laettner bucket or losing Final Four games pales in comparison to this.

What about you? What are some of your biggest sports disappointments and how does this rank along side those?

I’m not sure how many people are aware that SF only needed a FG and they were already well within range.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
All three Super Bowl losses are tough ones. I'll mention another sport and that's Roy Halladay's no-hitter in the NLDS vs the Reds.
Reply/Quote
Hands down the 2015 meltdown against the steelers in the playoffs.

Longest drive home from stadium in my life and can not even think of a close 2nd that even compares to that sports disappointment.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:16 PM)Tony Wrote: That's why it's 100% the worst one..  All the Bs with the flags and what ifs with Chase being wide open on that 4th down make this one hard....

I think all the losses on my list were similar in that regard.

Just losing bad is the easiest to handle.

My other teams play for championships more. That makes this tougher in some ways. I legit wanted this team to win and experience that.
Reply/Quote
1. Super Bowl 56
2. 2005 playoff loss
3. 2015 playoff loss
4. 2013 playoff loss (hard to excuse this one)
5. Christian Laettner - My 5th grade teacher was a UK alum, so we sat in class and watched in horror

Others:
1993 Suns losing to Bulls
Any NBA championship won by 3 superstars teaming up
Any NFL Championship won by Tom Brady or the Steelers
Getting Bills/Cowboys 2.0 instead of Montana vs Young SB
1995 Reds getting swept by Braves
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This one hands down....

There is no way we should've lost this one. Heartbreaking.
Reply/Quote
Fun thread.

Reply/Quote
Kris Jenkins last second shot in 2016 NCAAT to beat North Caroliina for the National Championship
Reply/Quote
I'll go way back. 1972 World Series - Reds/ A's. . Game 7 at Riverfront. Rudi's catch at the wall denies the Reds. Reds lose series 4-3 . Second World Series loss in three years by the Reds.
Reply/Quote
For me it was the Red Wings loss in game 7 of the cup finals in 2009 I think. The year Pittsburg won. I thought they would win for sure, and it was their last real crack at it. Now they are still rebuilding. But in a couple years they will be amazing with Stevie Y as GM.
Reply/Quote