Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your La’el Collins eye test so far. No looking up stats
How have you guys liked his play?

When he wins a rep he really wins that shit

But when he losses a rep it’s BAD. Like really bad.

I thought we got him cheap but now i think his price tag is right around where his value is.

Hopefully he plays better as time goes on. He’s definitely fighting an undisclosed injury. The way he losses reps is the way an old out of shape veteran would lose reps. He’s not old or out of shape so i don’t get it
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I assume by "rep" you mean snap. And what does "really win that shit" mean/look like in real time? Bro, bring some video evidence that backs up these random claims.

And if this injury he's fighting is so "undisclosed" how are you so "definite" in your prognosis? Again, I look forward to a future post of yours providing evidence.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 01:24 AM)JumboTron Wrote: I assume by "rep" you mean snap. And what does "really win that shit" mean/look like in real time? Bro, bring some video evidence that backs up these random claims.

And if this injury he's fighting is so "undisclosed" how are you so "definite" in your prognosis? Again, I look forward to a future post of yours providing evidence.

He has a notable injury last year in Dallas and everyone who reports on the team in depth acknowledges that he’s still wonky from a bad back.

I honestly don’t feel like watching The games again and cropping his wins.

Ngl
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 01:24 AM)JumboTron Wrote: I assume by "rep" you mean snap.  And what does "really win that shit" mean/look like in real time?  Bro, bring some video evidence that backs up these random claims.

And if this injury he's fighting is so "undisclosed" how are you so "definite" in your prognosis?    Again, I look forward to a future post of yours providing evidence.

[Image: he-is-speaking-guy-explaining-with-a-whiteboard.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He got pretty whooped weeks 1 and 2 by TJ and Micha. Obviously those 2 whoop a lot of guy but they REALLY whooped him. Since then I hardly notice him which is a good thing. I hope the extra few days of rest can do him some good because he just looks a little stiff and slow sometimes. We need him to return to at least average because Joe being able to roll out freely to the right if someone blitzes up the middle or Volson/Jonah gets beat is really important. All those sacks in first few weeks were partly because the tackles were getting caved in and Joe was getting trapped in the pocket.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Terrible.  I'd take Andrew Whitworth over him.  I'd take Andre Smith over him.  I'd take Quinton Spain over him.  The Dolphins have the worst pass rush in the league and the Jets are the Jets.  This isn't a Super Bowl team with LC starting for them at RT.
Reply/Quote
He looks like a guy trying to play through a back injury..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 01:16 AM)Housh Wrote: How have you guys liked his play?

I thought we got him cheap but now i think his price tag is right around where his value is.

Hopefully he plays better as time goes on. He’s definitely fighting an undisclosed injury. The way he losses reps is the way an old out of shape veteran would lose reps. He’s not old or out of shape so i don’t get it

When he gets his hands on a guy squared up, he mauls him.  Unfortunately, that rarely happens.  He seems stiff (back?) and very slow off the snap.  Slow to react.  The latter two points I believe could be improved upon, as may some of the stiffness with treatment.

In fairness to Collins, I can't imagine how poorly he must have felt after the first game playing that much after minimal camp and preseason.  This extended break might be very beneficial to him.  

I am surprised they haven't put a TE on his side more, or an extra OT in certain packages to minimize the space he needs to cover.  Like I said, when he gets his hands on a guy, it's over.  

I am not thrilled with his performance thus far, but if you imagine him injured and not playing then it doesn't seem as bad.  He is trying to gut it out and should continue to get better as he gets his conditioning and reactions back. 
Reply/Quote
He has been disappointing, but he missed camp and most of last season, so hopefully as the season goes on he improves (If injuries don't mount). On the other side I have also been disappointed by Jonah Williams. I was really hoping he would take that next step to become one of the better LTs in the league. He was above average last year, but so far he is below average this year. That may be because of a new and inexperienced LG next to him, I'm not sure. Both of our tackles need to be better. Thursday was a good start at least.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote

My eye test tells me that he struggled a lot early on, but has kind of normalized in these last two games. He had the toughest assignment in the NFL in the first two weeks having to go against TJ Watt and then Micah Parsons (on the majority of snaps, I know they both occasionally move around the formation). He has not faced anyone nearly that capable in the second two games and has shown that he's a decent enough RT.

I had reservations about his signing because Dallas Cowboy fans seemed pretty eager to get rid of him and replace him with a nobody (Terrance Steele), plus you don't typically cut a player when they are playing for below market value (if you believe he was a top 5 RT last year), even with their cap troubles. I also found it concerning that no team was apparently interested in trading for him and we signed him for less than what he made in Dallas.

All that added up to my thought that he was being overrated by our fans, which has shown to be true thus far. I still think he's a massive upgrade over Isaiah Prince, but that's not really saying much, as nearly every RT not named Bobby Hart would likely be an upgrade over Isaiah Prince.

I hope he continues his upward trend in the coming weeks, but I am nervous about his back and how long he can hold up. We'll have to see how the season goes.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 06:20 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Terrible.  I'd take Andrew Whitworth over him.  I'd take Andre Smith over him.  I'd take Quinton Spain over him.  The Dolphins have the worst pass rush in the league and the Jets are the Jets.  This isn't a Super Bowl team with LC starting for them at RT.

We were just a Super Bowl team with Prince starting at RT…

As to the OP? Collins has been a mixed bag. Just like the rest of the OL. He’s definitely not the tackle I’ve been the most disappointed with thus far, I’ll say that.

Reply/Quote

I would pretty much rate exactly as you have. When he gets his feet right, and gets any leverage, it's over for the defender. 

The problem is he gets beaten badly and way too often for my liking. I'm hoping he gets better as communication issues get solved.

He's better than Bobby Hart for sure, but I'm not sure he's been better than Reiff.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
He "looks'" huge. He's "only' 6'4" 318 but he looks much bigger (in a good way).

I see a move inside in his not too distant future. Dude could be an All-Pro RG
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 09:55 AM)Wyche Wrote: I would pretty much rate exactly as you have. When he gets his feet right, and gets any leverage, it's over for the defender. 

The problem is he gets beaten badly and way too often for my liking. I'm hoping he gets better as communication issues get solved.

He's better than Bobby Hart for sure, but I'm not sure he's been better than Reiff.

Oddly enough, Hart was the Bills highest rated OL this week (74.2).

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Once he gets his feet under him quite literally he will be just fine however I can’t say I’ve ever remembered seeing somebody on the ground as much as he has been.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 01:24 AM)JumboTron Wrote: I assume by "rep" you mean snap.  And what does "really win that shit" mean/look like in real time?  Bro, bring some video evidence that backs up these random claims.

And if this injury he's fighting is so "undisclosed" how are you so "definite" in your prognosis?    Again, I look forward to a future post of yours providing evidence.

No, I think he means Reputation..

Like.. "Hey, LC's got a good rep"..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Well so Far hes not been the Complete upgrade i thought we were getting....

seemed to be making lots of mental mistakes the first few games.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 07:42 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He looks like a guy trying to play through a back injury..

Yep. Not totally trusting his normal instincts, too, possibly. Also, and there may be 1% (And I'm certainly not part of this 1%) of this entire board that understands rather intricate OL play, but when you see a player on the OL get beat it's not always that guys fault and more times than not it might not be. OL play is a chain and it requires 5-7 guys (sometimes 2 TE formation) working together where each player knows what that guy on his left/right are both thinking and doing.None of us know the exact assignments/responsibilities of each man each play.

If an OL takes a bad 1st step then not only can/does he maybe whiff on his primary assignment but also won't be there to help out on a double team or a chip block or even getting to the 2nd level in time to seal a lane. Takes complete trust and having 4 new starters who didn't play a down together ain't going to cut it until they get some experience together.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 10:11 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oddly enough, Hart was the Bills highest rated OL this week (74.2).

Am I crazy or did Hart not get good PFF grades here a lot of weeks too?
Reply/Quote
He looks like he is stiff with a back injury - you can tell he is improving however because he has gotten better. Once his back stops bothering him he should be over his feet more correctly also.
Reply/Quote