Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Opinions Of Willis and Smith
Some good exchange of thoughts on Willis and Smith, 3 pages full in a few days. I'll add or rewrite some thoughts. I'm not saying either of them start against Baltimore but I am saying they look like they should be on the team. This team had a very bad year last year. This team has not won a play-off game since 1990 Season 27 years ago. It would be very sad if the Bengals do not win a play-off game between 2010 and 2020 considering 5 straight play-off trips. Now either we have so much talent that we can't keep Willis and Smith, which means we will win the Super Bowl going away because fans seem to think we have the worlds greatest talent ever at all positions on this team this year. Well, I hope we are that dominate. There are some on here that want to keep every single player from last years 6 win season, right down to 3rd and 4th string special teams players of a 6 win team. On that, I just can't agree. This team has not won in play-offs and last year went backwards.

I'll point to some reasons I think team went backwards. We stopped drafting LB for years and kept plugging in Harrison, Hawk, Dansby and hoping these old guys had some gas left in the tank. Harrison is a 3-4 LB, not a 4-3 and he is a down lineman and was lost in space and not used right in open field. He will be a Hall Of Famer but not used right in Cincy. Hawk and then Dansby didn't really fit either. They were band aids until we could draft and bring in young LB's that fit the system. These band aids never worked all that well at linebacker. They were all great players on other teams, but sometimes trying to milk one more year out of an old vet from another team doesn't pay off.....Then we lost talent such as Hall, Nelson, Sanu, Jones, Andre Smith going into 2016, and that set the team back.....AS for the close game losses some mentioned, There was a total collapse of Nugent on field goals and extra points. My word, he couldn't even make extra points. I was amazed by his total collapse as was Bengals owners and coaches. You are never suppose to blame the kicker which in this case is stupid. Nugent is a huge reason we only won 6 games, we should have won more close games but missed extra points and field goals just kill you in the NFL. .....We can add too many injuries. Besides the players we lost that I mentioned, we didn't have Eifert, often we didn't have AJ Green, we didn't have Bernard and Hill was injured all season. Now Hill suited up and played due to Bernard out but look at how many times he left the game. NFL teams knew he was injured and they laid on the hits. Hill played with broken ribs or something and many fans put him down, but I think he took one for the team last year with the team so short on running backs due to injuries. Hill played injured and of course he was not the same last year. ...The Offensive Line was not as good last year and I thought I saw a decline in aging Whitworth. WE no longer had both Whit and Smith at tackles last year. ....I'll add Zampese took over for Hue Jackson but it seemed Bengals tried to run the Hue Jackson offense. They tried to run the Sam Wyche offense after he was gone. As Trumpy and Collinsworth said on radio at the time, THAT NEVER WORKS.

So I'm hoping they throw out all Hue and let Zampese sink or swim on his playbook. Hue is long gone. I'm hoping The O Line comes together. I'm hoping Hill is healthy and makes some fans eat their words. I hope Bernard gets healthy and I hope Mixon is a beast. I hope we are loaded at RB. I hope AJ Green is healthy and Eifert is healthy and Lafell plays good again and Boyd, Core, Erickson, Ross, Malone make our pass weapons locked and loaded. I hope Dalton has a great year as Ken Anderson or Boomer Esiason in their MVP years of Super Bowls. Andy Dalton as AFC MVP would be huge. I hope whoever replaces Nugent can make extra points. Some Field Goals would be nice, but they really need to find and keep the kicker that can make extra points. Scoring a touchdown and thinking 7 and then coming away with 6 like 2 field goals just kills you in the NFL. WE need 100 % accuracy on extra points in 2017 or very close to 100 %.. On Defense yes, we have Atkins and Dunlap but after them there is room for improvement over 2016. I'm hoping Minter who is younger than Harrison, Hawk or Dansby is more than just a used band aid. This team went out and got defensive help and drafted defense over offensive line. A huge effort was made to bring in fresh new faces on defense. The 6 win Bengals need for some new players to work out better than Rivers, suspended Thurman or injured Pollack. WE should hope we have some good young talent in the door on Defense. We could use some good young talent at linebacker in a huge way after years of aged band aids. The D Line has needed a youth movement also. In the secondary it was hard losing Hall and Nelson who were stars for years. Kirkpatrick stepped up and that was a huge resigning. Pacman, Dennard and WG3 were at one time first round picks and you would hope either Dennard or WG3 or both were not bad picks. Hopefully we have a shut down secondary that allows few touchdowns in 2017. One thing the Defense did not give us in 2016 was turnovers. We could use more interceptions and fumbles because those win games giving offense chances for easy points on a short field. Lack of turnovers hurt us. Getting close to an interception is no good. You have to burn these NFL quarterbacks when they make rare mistakes.

So, on Smith and Willis, Anthony Munoz has just raved about them so far during games. He knows something about THE TRENCHES and I value Anthony Munoz high opinion of Willis and Smith so far. Good to get a Hall Of Famers opinion for a change. Munoz has not just raved about them never taking a play off and going all out every play. He has raved about them constantly in other teams backfield. Yes, sometimes speed. Munoz has been amazed that sometimes Willis or Smith just pancake offensive lineman with brute power into the other teams backfield. I would like to see these 2 on the final roster and I feel we have some 3rd or 4th string special teams players that are not above getting cut. This team won only 6 games last year, so I'm tired of hearing how nobody from that team can be replaced. The fact is this is not the Super Bowl Patriots and a 6 win team has to make a few changes. If Munoz likes Smith and Willis, then I like Smith and Willis. So far they look like the monsters Steelers and Ravens have on bench on defense and I always wish Bengals had. If they make the team tough enough to win a play-off game, I like it. Often the Bengals come up short in the TOUGH ENOUGH Department. I want to see us be able to man up with any team in the NFL and go Super Bowl....I hope everybody is right that we are so deep that cuts will be hard choices because that means we are locked and loaded in talent...I'm not sure we are as deep as fans think, but it would be great if we are. I noticed last year Cowboys and Raiders dared to make changes and tough cuts and it certainly paid off in more wins. ....GO BENGALS.....SUPER BOWL .... Tiger Who Dey Dancing Dancing Who Dey Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 01:02 PM)Synric Wrote: I see alot of this guy over this guy cuz he's a better pass rusher...before you can rush the passer you have to stop the run. If you can't stop the run rushing the passer is a moot point.

Good point, we seem to worry about pass rush ability of a DE or pass protection ability of a OT and ignore run stopping/blocking. But the difference of a DE is we can rotate situational just to rush, we can't rotate OT (or don't as they are 3 down usually).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
As Sunset said, these guys are the future. Along with Lawson for our pass rush. No way do any of these guys get cut.

Willis was a 3rd round pick Guenther was high on in the 2nd and is not just a good pass rusher, he stops the run...

They traded for Chris Smith and look like geniuses right now cause of it...

Both, like Kev said have a very high motor and all the pass rush moves. Very strong and fast to boot.

Might be off the wall but i was disappointed in my man Billings last game. Hope he brings it Sunday. Mellow
Reply/Quote
The question is what DE do they keep to play with Dunlap to help stop the run Gilberry , M Johnson , Hardison or Will Clarke? We was missing the pass rush as much as we was missing the speed WR last year. Dunlap and Geno are solid at their spots with pass rushing but we needed more to collapse the pocket another edge rusher. Jordan Willis and Chris Smith both make the team to help with the pass rush. M Johnson and Gilberry are both old towards end of their careers Will Clarke is the best option if he can stop the run and be productive in that aspect of the game. I think the fight for a roster spot is the guys that can help stop the run not the pass rushers. Willis and Smith are a bit undersized to hold up against a team trying to run the ball. So who is the guy across from Dunlap against the run till Willis and Smith can prove they can stop the run this year cause we have not seen enough in preseason to be sure they can do it now?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 10:47 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: How many of Clarke's sacks were garbage sacks or products of other people creating pressure and he was just there to clean it up.
The process matters. I know you are steadfastly against this notion, as you care about "results" but how you get to the results matters. 

Yes you are. Lawson is a LB he will not impact who is and isn't kept at DE unless they change their minds and commit him full time to DE.

Not sure why you bring up Hardison now in this conversation 

So i assume you can verify that all sacks from other players on other teams do not ever happen as a garbage.. come on now.. very weak argument when you are trashing sacks, you are being very subjective in your comment
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 10:24 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I blame no Burfict early and a slightly out of shape Burfict when he returned. I blame our OL that when from top 5 to 10 in the league to one of the worst in the league. An OC can't call plays at will if the OL can't block. I also think we can't forget the losses of Eifert, Green and Gio. I am not blaming 2016 on our defense, I am simply saying a much better defense in 2017 would allow our offense which we know is a work in progress (our OL) to keep us in and win games while the offense hopefully progresses each week.

I love Nugent as a person, but he lost three games himself on chip shots...and one extra point.  They could have won 10 games last year if they could have just hit FGs and Extra Points.  
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2017, 08:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I love Nugent as a person, but he lost three games himself on chip shots...and one extra point.  They could have won 10 games last year if they could have just hit FGs and Extra Points.  

Yes, we lost many games for many reasons and kickers lost 3 that I remember. Simply, we were not that far from winning in 2016, we need to get better, but we do not need an overhaul of the roster to get better. I also like the idea of becoming one of the youngest teams in the NFL, but doing it the right way. I love the speed element they have attempted to add and think it starts paying off immediately.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2017, 08:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I love Nugent as a person, but he lost three games himself on chip shots...and one extra point.  They could have won 10 games last year if they could have just hit FGs and Extra Points.  

I agree our record could have been much better last year. But I hate our conservative approach if we get up by 14 points or 10 points we start running the ball trying to run the clock out and get a close win. With the weapons on this team I want to see a few blow outs so to speak where we are leading by 14 at the end of the game. Stay aggressive all the way through the game on offense and defense. As long has the O line holds up and improves all year long we should be able to do this and not leave it up to a field goal or extra point to decide the outcome of the game.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2017, 11:30 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: I agree our record could have been much better last year. But I hate our conservative approach if we get up by 14 points or 10 points we start running the ball trying to run the clock out and get a close win. With the weapons on this team I want to see a few blow outs so to speak where we are leading by 14 at the end of the game. Stay aggressive all the way through the game on offense and defense. As long has the O line holds up and improves all year long we should be able to do this and not leave it up to a field goal or extra point to decide the outcome of the game.

That drives me crazy too. No lead is safe in the NFL. If you can keep scoring, keep scoring. I hate the play not to lose philosophy that we use instead of the play to win attitude. I say run up the score. Step on their throats. It's not like we haven't watched teams do it to us forever.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2017, 11:36 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: That drives me crazy too. No lead is safe in the NFL. If you can keep scoring, keep scoring. I hate the play not to lose philosophy that we use instead of the play to win attitude. I say run up the score. Step on their throats. It's not like we haven't watched teams do it to us forever.

Actually we have not been as bad as you want to make it out in scoring in 4th quarter under the Dalton and Green tenure now going on its 7th year so a lot of data to go off of..

Below is our rank of scoring in 4th quarter.. as you can see we have had 1 year in top ten, 2 years in top 1/2 of year, 1 years just below top 1/2 , 1 year in bottom 2/3s and 1 year were we at bottom.

2011-  12
2012-  15
2013- 17
2014- 23
2015- 8
2016- 31
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2017, 12:11 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually we have not been as bad as you want to make it out in scoring in 4th quarter under the Dalton and Green tenure now going on its 7th year so a lot of data to go off of..

Below is our rank of scoring in 4th quarter.. as you can see we have had 1 year in top ten, 2 years in top 1/2 of year, 1 years just below top 1/2 , 1 year in bottom 2/3s and 1 year were we at bottom.

2011-  12
2012-  15
2013- 17
2014- 23
2015- 8
2016- 31

A lot of those points could be from us coming from behind trying to catch up. I just know we very rarely win the game by 10 to 14 points and still playing aggressive on offense at the end of the game.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2017, 12:11 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually we have not been as bad as you want to make it out in scoring in 4th quarter under the Dalton and Green tenure now going on its 7th year so a lot of data to go off of..

2011-  12
2012-  15
2013- 17
2014- 23
2015- 8
2016- 31

I never said we were bad at scoring in the 4th quarter. I said we don't have that killer instinct. Lewis isn't going to run up the score on anyone. When we get a lead, we go conservative. Obviously there are times we have to try and turn it back on. Again, I'm not saying the team doesn't score in the fourth, I'm saying they don't try to knock anyone out. We get a lead and then we'll carry a team and let them hang around instead of running it up and blowing them out.
Reply/Quote
I don't think it helps our teams confidence much either when you don't go all out. This worked well when Dalton was a rookie and younger player but he has been pretty good at not giving up a lot of turnovers the last few years. If he can put up 5 or 10 more touchdowns a year and 2 more interceptions then let him. It would go a long way to building trust between a QB and head coach. This aspect I think goes right over Marvin head because he is not a offensive minded coach but a defensive minded coach.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2017, 12:23 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I never said we were bad at scoring in the 4th quarter. I said we don't have that killer instinct. Lewis isn't going to run up the score on anyone. When we get a lead, we go conservative. Obviously there are times we have to try and turn it back on. Again, I'm not saying the team doesn't score in the fourth, I'm saying they don't try to knock anyone out. We get a lead and then we'll carry a team and let them hang around instead of running it up and blowing them out.

Well I guess my debate would be that killer instinct is scoring also in 4th quarter because that can put a team away.. but i understand what you are trying to convey though I don;t totally buy  it.. i believe we have been a solid team in holding leads but i could be wrong.. and not making mistakes maybe trying to put a team away and give them that momentum back to their side, which i have seen also many times in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2017, 12:33 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I don't think it helps our teams confidence much either when you don't go all out. This worked well when Dalton was a rookie and younger player but he has been pretty good at not giving up a lot of turnovers  the last few years. If he can put up 5 or 10 more touchdowns a year and 2 more interceptions then let him. It would go a long way to building trust between a QB and head coach. This aspect I think goes right over Marvin head because he is not a offensive minded coach but a defensive minded coach.

Well again stats over the Dalton and Green tenure do not support your statement.  Since 2011 we have been in top ten in scoring 2 years, top half   4 times, just below top half 1 year and bottom 3rd 1 year.

Again you can maybe pick and choose a game or two etc but you can do that with all teams.. but 6 years of data is a good sample size to refute that we don;t score on offense.

2016- 24th
2015- 7th
2014- 15th
2013- 6th
2012- 12th
2011- 18th
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2017, 12:54 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well again stats over the Dalton and Green tenure do not support your statement.  Since 2011 we have been in top ten in scoring 2 years, top half   4 times, just below top half 1 year and bottom 3rd 1 year.

Again you can maybe pick and choose a game or two etc but you can do that with all teams.. but 6 years of data is a good sample size to refute that we don;t score on offense.

2016- 24th
2015- 7th
2014- 15th
2013- 6th
2012- 12th
2011- 18th

I am not saying we don't put points up on the board except for last year. We do get conservative when we are ahead by 10 to 14 points. Since Dalton is a vet now why tell him not to lose the game for us with turnovers. And tell him to win the games for us with his experience. Dalton has a good enough arm and accuracy to put up a lot more yards and touchdowns he is not a rookie or youngster take the cuffs off this guy. As well as the offensive and defense as a whole.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2017, 11:30 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: I agree our record could have been much better last year. But I hate our conservative approach if we get up by 14 points or 10 points we start running the ball trying to run the clock out and get a close win. With the weapons on this team I want to see a few blow outs so to speak where we are leading by 14 at the end of the game. Stay aggressive all the way through the game on offense and defense. As long has the O line holds up and improves all year long we should be able to do this and not leave it up to a field goal or extra point to decide the outcome of the game.

This is what you SHOULD be able to do with a veteran QB.  He will use his judgement and not try to make plays where there aren't any, but there were times last year where the opposing defense was daring the Bengals to throw the ball and they would run it in to a 9 man front.  

Having Lafell as your main weapon didn't help, but Dalton is capable of using lesser than AJ talent (See Cody Core against the Ravens) when they give him a chance.  Everyone slobbers over Brady for his offensive prowess for taking lesser known WRs and making them good, but he is given that opportunity.   It is time to give this offense to Dalton and let him stay in attack mode. 
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2017, 01:31 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I am not saying we don't put points up on the board except for last year. We do get conservative when we are ahead by 10 to 14 points. Since Dalton is a vet now why tell him not to lose the game for us with turnovers. And tell him to win the games for us with his experience. Dalton has a good enough arm and accuracy to put up a lot more yards and touchdowns he is not a rookie or youngster take the cuffs off this guy. As well as the offensive and defense as a whole.

Again i feel you are being subjective in your analysis in the end stats are the most objective stat to really judge how conservative a team is in a season or period of years. Look at it this way, if a team was conservative in their play calling etc over a season or seasons in comparison of other teams in the league probability says they would be lower in points scored in the league. The stats dont indicate that.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2017, 07:09 PM)kevin Wrote: Here is mine.  David Pollack was drafted # 1 for his HIGH MOTOR. A GUY THAT GOES ALL OUT EVERY PLAY like a Tim Krumrie.  Of course Pollack had the bad injury early on.  All I've seen of Willis and Smith is HIGH MOTOR on every play be it early in game or late in game. I'm not saying this makes them starters right away, but I sure can't see cutting them from the defense. They also have sometimes just physically dominated.  I have to think something is wrong with the owners and coaches if these two spark plugs aren't on the roster. I could see them very good on Special Teams and coming off the bench.  They have the talent to someday be starters, maybe sooner than later. These two look like the type defensive players Steelers and Ravens come up with and Bengals wish they had.  Munoz and announcers have been very impressed by both so far. I can't see them not being on the roster. The have great ability and have HIGH MOTORS not taking any plays off.

What's my opinion of Willis and Smith?

Both are getting pressure. Both are green.

So Marv will sit them all year and play lessor talent and we may not even see them past the preseason. When it comes to Marv draft position matters, veteran status matters, winning in the playoffs is a nice to have but not necessary. Yep, that's what I think of Marv, and my thoughts of Mike Brown extend much lower.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2017, 02:54 PM)BengalChris Wrote: What's my opinion of Willis and Smith?

Both are getting pressure. Both are green.

So Marv will sit them all year and play lessor talent and we may not even see them past the preseason. When it comes to Marv draft position matters, veteran status matters, winning in the playoffs is a nice to have but not necessary. Yep, that's what I think of Marv, and my thoughts of Mike Brown extend much lower.

And it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks, nearly impossible.

You are probably correct to an extent. I don't expect it to be quite as bad as you say here Chris but you have some history
on your side especially draft position. Why was Og put in the fire last year ahead of the clearly better Fisher?

Draft position. Willis was a 3rd round pick though and is clearly the best all around DE on the team besides Dunlap, he will
get his snaps. They did TRADE for Chris Smith and he has been the best pass rusher this Preseason. They also are starting
Lawson at SAM a lot of the time.

But this is also all Defense and maybe MB is giving Guenther more say cause he is the next HC...
Reply/Quote