Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Top 3 fixes (Players)
(12-08-2020, 04:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Free Fix:
Spain replaces MJ at LG

No problems with this move.  That said, it's not exactly "free".  We basically rented Spain for 1/2 year for 300k.

If we want him back next year he'll require a new deal.
Reply/Quote
1. Draft Sewell. Idc that Hart has improved from horrendous to mediocre, or what his run blocking grade is, guy is not a good starting RT. Whether it’s Jonah or Sewell that takes his spot either way I see it as an upgrade.

2. Sign Larry Warford to replace Michael Jordan. That experiment needs to end. Jordan is trash. I’d love Thuney, but I’m being realistic.

3. Replace the hole left by Carlos Dunlap with Carlos Basham. Take the Wake Forest DE in the 2nd round.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
For draft, I haven't really studied guys...but a guy like Brevin Jordan at TE from Miami...IF he declares and is there in the 3rd Round...he'd be a great fit with Sample. Jordan can run 20 yard routes and catch passes. He'd be tough for a LB or S to cover.
Reply/Quote
We need to start drafting lineman from Wisconsin. I think Zeitler was there, but man do they produce good lineman in the Pros.

This draft Ohio State lineman needs to change.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 04:55 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: No problems with this move.  That said, it's not exactly "free".  We basically rented Spain for 1/2 year for 300k.

If we want him back next year he'll require a new deal.

I'd let him walk. Need a real upgrade.  He's showing us why Buffalo cut him.
Reply/Quote
Replace Michael Jordan with Joe Thuney.Jordan is the reason why Burrow is getting his knee cut open.

Draft Sewell. Move Jonah Williams to RT

Replace Uzomah/Sample as starting TE. This offense does not need
A average run blocker trying.to.do a mans job of controlling
The middle of the field.
Its needs a TE ready to.step in and eat up LBers.
It needs a TE with a resume of dominance.
Uzomah and Sample hardly dominated in college
Reply/Quote
Joe Thuney and Brandon Scherf Draft Peneii Sewell

QB- Joe Burrow
RB- Joe Mixon
WR 1- Tyler Boyd
WR 2- Tee Higgins
WR 3- AJ Green
TE- CJ Uzomah
LT- Peneii Sewell
LG- Joe Thuney
C- Trey Hopkins
RG- Brandon Scherf
RT- Jonah Williams

RDE- Carl Lawson
DT- Geno Atkins
NT- DJ Reeder
LDE- Sam Hubbard
LB1- Germaine Pratt
LB2- Logan Wilson
CB1- WJIII
CB2- Trae Waynes
CB3- Mac Alexander
FS- Jessie Bates
SS- Vonn Bell
Reply/Quote
I would say the obvious choices I'm sure everyone said:

Draft Sewell so you have a legit tackle to build off of.

Sign a FA guard like Warford or someone good.

Draft the best playmaker on defense available in the second round. They need more pressure up front on defense so go with an edge player or a DT or dynamic linebacker.
Reply/Quote
1. Draft Penei Sewell
2. Sign Joe Thuney
3. Sign Corey Linsley

You'd have a new LT, LG, and C... you can let Hopkins/XSF/Spain/3rd rounder battle for RG, and then have Jonah at RT.

Fix the OL first. That's the most important thing. It'll help the pass and the run game, and the offense/run game being good should help the defense. Just too important to not put all your focus on. (Though I was admittedly tempted to put signing Chris Godwin in as my #3, as 25-year-old Pro Bowlers aren't normally a thing in FA and I doubt any defense is equipped to stop Burrow-to-Godwin/Boyd/Higgins.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 04:48 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: FYI: All of that money is already accounted for in the projected 41.7 million in cap space.  None are under contract, and letting them walk doesn't add to our space.  It just prevents us from using some of it on them.

Only way you're opening up money in addition to that figure is by cuts or trades.

This.

People don't seem to realize that there are already around $20m of pay rises due from this year to next year and the cap is set to drop by a similar amount.

It's $40m cap space before we re-sign any of WJIII, Lawson, Green, Alexander, Spain etc. The rookies are going to cost about $12m of this and there is then about $28m to fill a dozen roster spaces.

To be active in the first or second wave of free agency cuts need to be made. Bobby Hart and BJ Finney save $10m. Geno saves a similar amount.

That leaves as your top 6 cap hits: Waynes, Reader, Mixon, Boyd, Burrow, Hopkins.
I didn't like the Mixon, Waynes and Hopkins deals at the time and I like them even less now. It's probably too early to back out of these deals (but not to fire whoever agreed them).

You still need to find a starting DT, DE and CB and upgrade the guard spots with the 2nd and 3rd round picks and around $20m to spend in free agency. I'd be keen on WJIII and Lawson returning if they can fit into that.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I see multiple threads about "this guy sux" "maybe, but not as bad as this guy" 'I want this guy" "I want this guy more" "ect....". So here's your chance to give your top 3 fixes (you can only fix 3). You can get "free fixes" by replacing with someone already on the roster. For instance: I choose to replace WJIII with Darius Phillips then that doesn't cost me one of my 3 fixes. Also maintaining one of our own is a given and doesn't need to be addressed.

Fixes can be things such as: "must be resigned" "sign FA (fill in name), "draft (fill in name)'ect...

I'll give you a couple tools to assist:

To determine re-signs/signing the following link will take you to next year's scheduled FAs:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

To assist with drafting the following link will give you some insight:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

Here's your starting lineup:

QB- Joe Burrow
RB- Joe Mixon
WR 1- Tyler Boyd
WR 2- Tee Higgins
WR 3- AJ Green- Draft Anthony Schwartz in Rd 3- Gives immediate separation outlet (and subsequent cushion).  A burner, like Ross but has ball skills.  Should be available with #3 pick in Rd 3.  Probably too small to be considered a true #1 so I believe he will slide to this round.  Also, coming from Auburn's stupid high-school offense, will need some coaching on routes and releases but gives the offense something that they have not had since Chris Henry was on the field with Chad and TJ.  
TE- CJ Uzomah
LT- Jonah Williams- Draft Penei Sewell in Rd 1
LG- Mike Jordan- Replace with XSF (or Spain)
C- Trey Hopkins
RG- XFS- Sign Joe Thuney
RT- Bobby Hart- Replace with Jonah Williams (makes the most sense as he has done RT before and I don't want to mess with a rookie that I have less faith in his ability to make the switch.  Jonah is a student of the game and would be a massive upgrade at RT.  

RDE- Carl Lawson
DT- Geno Atkins
NT- DJ Reeder
LDE- Sam Hubbard
LB1- Germaine Pratt
LB2- Logan Wilson
CB1- WJIII
CB2- Trae Waynes
CB3- Mac Alexander
FS- Jessie Bates
SS- Vonn Bell

**If you're like Fred Toast and don't feel like we need to replace a minimum of 3 starters, then pick some guys for depth.  

So, there you have it.  Protect Burrow and surround him with weapons.  I would hope that WJIII and Alexander are retained, but outside of that, I would just build the defensive line in the draft as well as create competition on the interior offensive line with other picks.  
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:36 PM)J24 Wrote: The biggest needs I have on the team are currently LG, RT, 3T
1.) LG- Joe Thuney- Best available G in the off season
2.)RT- Darryl Williams- He was an all pro in 2017 for the Panthers got hurt struggled a bit but rebounded this season.
3.) 3T Jaylen Twyman Pitt- He reminds me of a younger Geno.

Love the picks, but assuming you draft Penei Sewell at #1, where do you put Jonah?  Perhaps LG?  Wouldn't be the craziest idea.  And I agree about Twyman.  He will light up the combine and I am hoping he somehow falls to 2nd round, but given a fairly weak DT class, I doubt that...figures.  
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 04:44 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: In FA: let Green ($18.2 mil) and Williams ($4.8 mil) walk. That is $23 million opening up. Dunlap's cap hit was $6.1 this year, but is only $2.25 million next. So nearly $27 million there.

Our big FA decisions are WJ3 ($10 mil now), Alexander ($4 mil cap), and Lawson ($2.3 cap). I like Alexander the best of the 3, but would be open to bringing back the other 2 for reasonable deals.

1. Fix #1. Draft Sewell. Move Jonah to RT. Hart benched/released/moved to OG. We can save $5.9 mil by letting Hart go. 2021 is his last year under contract.

2. Fix #2. Sign the best OG we can get in FA. I'd put Scherff above Thuney. But he'll also likely be more expensive and his team less willing to let him go. This will probably cost us $13 mil -$16 mil per.

I'd put DE, CB, and WR (speed) as my next biggest fixes. With Alexander & WJ3 FAs. Tough to judge the DBs. Is Lou the problem or not? 

Personally, I'd let WJ3 walk. Bring back Alexander. I figure that adds around $4 mil to the cap space. Around $37 mil to start. Minus $15 for our OG. $22 mil left. I'd go FA hunting and draft at rounds 2 & 3 for WR speed, pass rush, and CB. And plan on using my #1 pick next year in those areas.

I'dbe aggressive in FA with Joe on rookie deal, but only for primo guys. Doubt I'd pay huge for WR, as I think Burrow can maximize guys.

There is no way in hell we let WJIII walk.  He is either extended or he is franchised tagged.  He is one of the best cover corners in the league and a proven commodity.  His biggest weakness is consistency and I believe he rises in the biggest games.  It is hard for him to be on top of his game when the team is so pathetic.  What he has done with no semblance of a pass rush is amazing.  Waynes is only signed for two more years and he has taken, what, $14 million to do one half of a practice.  I have no faith in that guy until I see otherwise.  

FWIW, I also love Alexander.  I have him being retained as well.  You don't get better on defense by losing your best parts.  You cut the dead weight (Williams), get what you can for the malcontent (done), and evaluate if Geno's drop off was due to his injury.  I would like to think it was.  Lapham is usually a pretty good judge of guy's talent and ability from camp and he said from day 1 Geno was killing it.  But then, the shoulder injury came and for some reason they thought he could battle through it.  They were wrong to do that, but I guess after losing Tupou and Wren they couldn't afford to have him out.  
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 10:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: For draft, I haven't really studied guys...but a guy like Brevin Jordan at TE from Miami...IF he declares and is there in the 3rd Round...he'd be a great fit with Sample. Jordan can run 20 yard routes and catch passes. He'd be tough for a LB or S to cover.

There is a TE out of my alma mater (BGSU) that the coaches there say has real pro potential.  His name is Quinten Morris.  BG is SO BAD at football right now, he won't get much attention, but the guy is amazing.  He is their only real threat and they can't stop him.  Check him out.  He is this year's Adam Trautman, but I hope he isn't recognized like Trautman was.  
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 11:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There is no way in hell we let WJIII walk.  He is either extended or he is franchised tagged. 

FWIW, I also love Alexander.  I have him being retained as well.  You don't get better on defense by losing your best parts. 

We already have 16 million in cap committed to Waynes next season.  Let's just assume WJIII makes in the neighborhood of 8-12 million per (dependent on years, guaranteed money, and the market in a reduced cap year) and split the difference at 10 mil per.

You now have 26 million dollars committed to Waynes and WJIII in a 175 million cap year.  That is a lot of money to commit to two CB's that are nowhere near elite.

I really like Alexander, and would like to keep him as well.  But he's not going to be cheap either.  Believe it or not, Spotrac actually has his market value set at 8 mil.  I think we got a steep discount on a 1 year deal.  He's not going to go for peanuts.

You say you don't get better by on defense by losing your best parts, but you also don't improve your OL or DL by not making sacrifices at other positions.

Is WJIII worth so much to you that you'd be willing to miss out on signing a Joe Thuney?  Is he really that valuable we can choose to ignore other desperate needs?

To each their own, but I think most CB's outside of the shutdown elite, are overvalued.  If we can build a better DL, that actually gets pressure, then we can make below average to average DB's look average to good.  WJIII is a decent corner, but we have so many more pressing needs.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 11:51 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: We already have 16 million in cap committed to Waynes next season.  Let's just assume WJIII makes in the neighborhood of 8-12 million per (dependent on years, guaranteed money, and the market in a reduced cap year) and split the difference at 10 mil per.

You now have 26 million dollars committed to Waynes and WJIII in a 175 million cap year.  That is a lot of money to commit to two CB's that are nowhere near elite.

I really like Alexander, and would like to keep him as well.  But he's not going to be cheap either.  Believe it or not, Spotrac actually has his market value set at 8 mil.  I think we got a steep discount on a 1 year deal.  He's not going to go for peanuts.

You say you don't get better by on defense by losing your best parts, but you also don't improve your OL or DL by not making sacrifices at other positions.

Is WJIII worth so much to you that you'd be willing to miss out on signing a Joe Thuney?  Is he really that valuable we can choose to ignore other desperate needs?

To each their own, but I think most CB's outside of the shutdown elite, are overvalued.  If we can build a better DL, that actually gets pressure, then we can make below average to average DB's look average to good.  WJIII is a decent corner, but we have so many more pressing needs.

If you didn't notice the play of Sims and how he crippled our pass defense this year, then you won't understand why I want to keep WJIII.  You said he isn't elite, and while I agree with that he is a very solid CB that has some inconsistent play.  I will ask when he has played with a good defensive line?  That is how the steelers get away with average corner play is they get great pressure up front.  The Bengals are among the absolute worst in the league.  

I agree that Alexander was a bargain and will command more money, but it was still less than Dennard apparently wanted (and didn't get).

I am far from an expert on the cap argument, but I would be willing to part with the likes of Geno, Williams, Hart, XSF, Finney, and AJ Green before I ever let WJIII out the door.  I know not all those guys are signed next year, but you get what I am saying.  If there is so much pie to go around, I don't give those aforementioned guys a slice.  I know Ross comes off the books, too.  

I would imagine they would use the franchise tag on Lawson before WJIII as he has been a one-year wonder of health and solid production.  I know everyone wants 15 sacks out of the guy but he gets a lot of pressures and the opposing QB has too easy a time stepping up in the pocket due to pathetic DT play.  WJIII should be extended long term.  Waynes is only signed for two more years and although I don't know the details of his contract, after sitting out this entire year,  I would be inclined to give Phillips a long look and consider moving on from Waynes.  

The Bengals are on the cheap at QB, LBs, and DE right now.  They need to invest in the CB position and then draft help on the defensive line.  Even with Tupou and/or Wren possibly coming back, none of those guys are pressure generators.  That should be a high priority after Rd 1.  
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I see multiple threads about "this guy sux" "maybe, but not as bad as this guy" 'I want this guy" "I want this guy more" "ect....". So here's your chance to give your top 3 fixes (you can only fix 3). You can get "free fixes" by replacing with someone already on the roster. For instance: I choose to replace WJIII with Darius Phillips then that doesn't cost me one of my 3 fixes. Also maintaining one of our own is a given and doesn't need to be addressed.

Fixes can be things such as: "must be resigned" "sign FA (fill in name), "draft (fill in name)'ect...

I'll give you a couple tools to assist:

To determine re-signs/signing the following link will take you to next year's scheduled FAs:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

To assist with drafting the following link will give you some insight:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

Here's your starting lineup:

QB- Joe Burrow
RB- Joe Mixon
WR 1- Tyler Boyd
WR 2- Tee Higgins
WR 3- AJ Green - Off Books now and his 18 million cap hit for 2020 (draft a speedy WR in round 3 or 4 and pay 15 million less in 2021)
TE- CJ Uzomah
LT- Jonah Williams
LG- Mike Jordan - Thuney - use Geno money and some extra to pay him, keep Jordoan to develop and back up
C- Trey Hopkins
RG- XFS
RT- Bobby Hart - Draft Sewell and keep Hart as a back up for T and Guard

RDE- Carl Lawson
DT- Geno Atkins - Cut him or trade him and use the 9 million saved to sign Thuney
NT- DJ Reeder
LDE- Sam Hubbard
LB1- Germaine Pratt
LB2- Logan Wilson
CB1- WJIII - Sign him on 1 year deal
CB2- Trae Waynes
CB3- Mac Alexander
FS- Jessie Bates
SS- Vonn Bell

We have 7 draft picks, I am hopeful top 4 contribute immediately (OT, Edge (round 2), Running Back (round 3 and cut Gio to save 4 million in cap money to pay Thuney and round 4 WR who is not 6'3 or taller and has speed and quickness (what we thought Ross would be someday)

So, other than draft picks, I say go after Thuney, a top 15 DL/Edge rusher and resign Jackson at CB and keep all of DB's with exception of Williams, let him go

**If you're like Fred Toast and don't feel like we need to replace a minimum of 3 starters, then pick some guys for depth.  
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
We are dead last in sacks in the NFL. Surprised that isn't making more of folk's "top 3" fixes.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 11:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Love the picks, but assuming you draft Penei Sewell at #1, where do you put Jonah?  Perhaps LG?  Wouldn't be the craziest idea.  And I agree about Twyman.  He will light up the combine and I am hoping he somehow falls to 2nd round, but given a fairly weak DT class, I doubt that...figures.  

Twyman is an interesting case because of his size or lack of + missing a year of football he might skip to the third or 4th round. He has to nail his combine to be in the first RD.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 10:44 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: This.

People don't seem to realize that there are already around $20m of pay rises due from this year to next year and the cap is set to drop by a similar amount.

It's $40m cap space before we re-sign any of WJIII, Lawson, Green, Alexander, Spain etc. The rookies are going to cost about $12m of this and there is then about $28m to fill a dozen roster spaces.

To be active in the first or second wave of free agency cuts need to be made. Bobby Hart and BJ Finney save $10m. Geno saves a similar amount.

That leaves as your top 6 cap hits: Waynes, Reader, Mixon, Boyd, Burrow, Hopkins.
I didn't like the Mixon, Waynes and Hopkins deals at the time and I like them even less now. It's probably too early to back out of these deals (but not to fire whoever agreed them).

You still need to find a starting DT, DE and CB and upgrade the guard spots with the 2nd and 3rd round picks and around $20m to spend in free agency. I'd be keen on WJIII and Lawson returning if they can fit into that.

This is a pretty accurate break down. 

We also need to understand that that $42 million estimate is based on 37 players under contract. Adding another 14 players adds about 9.2M, and that's only if they're minimum salary guys, which of course is not the case. (Maybe that is what you were already trying to say). 

And we also need to account for the fact that the first year cap hit for newly signed players is usually less than the AAV (avg annual value) of of most of our signees. People are just throwing around avg salaries as proxies for cap hits, which is flawed. For instance, our 2020 cap hit for each of Waynes and Reader this year was around 10M, but their AAV was well more than that. This is because we gave them lower base salaries in their first year because they were taking home signing bonus money right away, which is actually what most teams do. So even if we get a big ticket item like Thuney, let's say at 13M per year, his cap hit this year won't be that much. (Maybe this is also what you were trying to say). 

In fact re-reading your post a little I'm thinking we're saying the same thing. But regardless I see some over-estimation of what we can do throughout this thread. 
Reply/Quote