Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your best/worst position
I'll go ahead and say I don't think I have any strengths. I also don't think I have any glaring weaknesses.

I've had my fair share of good calls (I wanted Gronk over Gresham, Hopkins over Eifert, DeCastro or Doug Martin over Kirkpatrick)
My fair share of bad calls (I wanted Montee Ball over Jeremy Hill, wanted to trade up for Taylor Mays instead of Carlos Dunlap)
Even some calls that I am not sure if it really has mattered one way or the other yet (I wanted Julio Jones over AJ Green which would be about the same, Jamar Taylor over Margus Hunt both of who suck.)

So if you need a slightly-better-than-50% scout, I am totally your guy. Ninja Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I have been good at the TE position.

I didn't want Gresham and wanted Gronkowski in the 2nd or 3rd round. Though he was taken by the Patriots before our 2nd round pick.

I wanted Eifert, and only a few, I know Beaker, was with me on his selection.

I saw Ertz as being a good pick and Travis Kelce also a good pick.
Reply/Quote
Assessing myself, I would have to say that I am best at selecting players on the defensive side of the ball... which is odd because I played QB in high school and in college... I would say my best position is CB

At CB I liked;
Verrett
Benikwere
M. Peters
Slay
Roby
Trufant
J. Jenkins]
Gilmore
K. Wilson (whoops... missed on that one)
K. Fuller

CB I did't like;
Claiborne
Milliner
Gilbert
Jean-Baptiste
Breeland
Hayden
Kirkpatrick

My worst would probably be QB... not because I predict that bad players will be good... but because I am overly critical of 99.99% of all college QBs

C12Schleyer

[Image: 175fb1ebe161ecda7fb32824e3682755.jpg]
Reply/Quote
This doesn't really answer the question, which I will do later, but just a note.

I think what gives me some of my best perspective are the edited videos, which show a particular player for an entire game. It's very speeded up and goes immediately from one play to the next, so you can see lots of situations in short order.

For instance it was there that I got my first look at Will Clarke. The headline said something like "Will Clark With Strong Performance blah,blah" I watched the whole thing and didn't think he showed much at all. Slow off the snap, didn't find the ball that well, went play after play without being much of a factor. I didn't like the pick, and I've seen nothing to change my mind.

Anyway, it's a good way to get a line on somebody, beyond the numbers.
Reply/Quote
I am not better at any one position, but I know more about Tennessee players specifically and SEC guys in general.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 05:05 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: I think what gives me some of my  best perspective are the edited videos, which show a particular player for an entire game.  It's very speeded up and goes immediately from one play to the next, so you can see lots of situations in short order.

There are some where the specific player is highlighted.  Are those the ones you are talking about?  

They are awesome.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 04:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There are some where the specific player is highlighted.  Are those the ones you are talking about?  

They are awesome.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players

more of them than you would want to watch
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 07:39 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: http://draftbreakdown.com/players

more of them than you would want to watch

Thanks for the link.  I lost that a year or two ago.
Reply/Quote
Overall,
I'd have to go with the Defensive side as my best.
Worst position on Offense is probably QB.
Some guys I like, just don't seem to get a chance or much of a chance at the NFL level, for Example Mike Glennon QB Tampa, Damien Williams RB Miami.

I just love finding those gems from smaller schools (and it usually takes them an extra or half a year before they make some noise).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
To answer your question Fred, yes, the ones where they highlight a certain player. Very very good way to look at a player.
Reply/Quote
If it makes any of you feel any better even NFL teams have a harder time judging QBs than any other poeition.
Reply/Quote
My best position is definitely the Tight end.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 06:45 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: My best / worst position?

I'm really good at doggy-style. But I really pour it on in the missionary position!  ThumbsUp

lmfao
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I'm not overly good at scouting and I don't really care about doing it on my end because we never pick players that I like/want with the exception of AJ green.

But... I did predict Clowney to be a bust. He was a huge hot shot coming out of SCAR but hasn't shown up in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
I think this year is the year to judge Clowney on. He had a major injury/surgery that take about a year to come back from. Geno didn't bounce back immediately either.

Clowney also looked real good at the end of last season.
Reply/Quote