Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your biggest issue with the Trump administration
(05-22-2018, 01:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: They can't afford it.

They can't afford NOT to invest it in, IMHO.

[Image: 226213_2068762922722_5296123_n.jpg?_nc_c...e=5BC13EB9]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-22-2018, 12:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Isn't it true, that we won't really know if that is working for a couple years?  

We had record high corporate profits and near record low unemployment BEFORE the tax cuts.

So how are we going to tell if it "worked"?  Things were going fine without it.
(05-22-2018, 01:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We had record high corporate profits and near record low unemployment BEFORE the tax cuts.

I find this fact a bit interesting.  The US government generally has a budget surplus for the month of April each year, due to all of the taxes collected.  This year, after the tax cuts were implemented, the amount of April surplus was 17% higher than in 2017.  So, just to restate, lower taxes = more money collected.  How does that happen?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-22-2018, 01:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I find this fact a bit interesting.  The US government generally has a budget surplus for the month of April each year, due to all of the taxes collected.  This year, after the tax cuts were implemented, the amount of April surplus was 17% higher than in 2017.  So, just to restate, lower taxes = more money collected.  How does that happen?

The amounts collected in April this year were (primarily) based on last year's rates, not the new rates set with the recent tax cut.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-22-2018, 01:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:   So, just to restate, lower taxes = more money collected.  How does that happen?

Record profits earned in 2017 BEFORE the tax cuts took effect.

Record high employment BEFORE the tax cuts took effect.
My biggest issue with Trump is his tweeting. How someone hasn't convinced him to just stop altogether (or let someone more articulate tweet in his stead) is somewhat amazing? (I mean, I think I get why - Trump's ego - but still, you'd think SOMEONE woul dhave found a way to get through to th eDon).
(05-22-2018, 02:59 PM)PhilHos Wrote: My biggest issue with Trump is his tweeting. How someone hasn't convinced him to just stop altogether (or let someone more articulate tweet in his stead) is somewhat amazing? (I mean, I think I get why - Trump's ego - but still, you'd think SOMEONE woul dhave found a way to get through to th eDon).

Definitely up there.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-22-2018, 02:59 PM)PhilHos Wrote: My biggest issue with Trump is his tweeting. How someone hasn't convinced him to just stop altogether (or let someone more articulate tweet in his stead) is somewhat amazing? (I mean, I think I get why - Trump's ego - but still, you'd think SOMEONE woul dhave found a way to get through to th eDon).

That's a separate problem...he doesn't seem to listen.  Even to people he trusts.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-22-2018, 03:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: That's a separate problem...he doesn't seem to listen.  Even to people he trusts.

Is it that? Or is it that he surrounds himself with "Yes" men and people who refuse to give Donald the cold, hard truth and instead just tell him what he wants to hear? Not that either situation is preferrable.

Most of his hard core base love his tweets.

Everything in the media is just "fake news" to them.  So it is impossible for Trump to stop tweeting because according to him that is the only way to get the truth out there.

I have heard people joke about it, but I honestly believe "confeve" was the result of some one ripping his phone out of his hand trying to stop him from tweeting. 
(05-22-2018, 01:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We had record high corporate profits and near record low unemployment BEFORE the tax cuts.

and Big Companies have been passing out bonuses to their employees instead of hoarding it.
I get mine this week.
So I consider this a stimulus check.
Big companies have been passing out bonuses to their top executives. The ones already making millions. The rest of us haven't got no damn bonus.

If anything gas prices has ate into any extra money we made.

Truth is if you make between 40-100K annually, you are screwed by all sides. The poor gets taken care of, the rich get taken care of. And that's about it.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22

My only issue, and the wall not being done yet.

(05-22-2018, 03:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: That's a separate problem...he doesn't seem to listen.  Even to people he trusts.

well according to you, half are incompetent and the other half hasn't been filled yet.

(05-22-2018, 03:59 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Is it that? Or is it that he surrounds himself with "Yes" men and people who refuse to give Donald the cold, hard truth and instead just tell him what he wants to hear? Not that either situation is preferrable.

it's possible, but highly unlikely. Advice is just that, advice.

(05-22-2018, 04:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Most of his hard core base love his tweets.

Everything in the media is just "fake news" to them.  So it is impossible for Trump to stop tweeting because according to him that is the only way to get the truth out there.

I have heard people joke about it, but I honestly believe "confeve" was the result of some one ripping his phone out of his hand trying to stop him from tweeting. 

Not all of them.

Well "Fake news" does it self in when they post half truths and get busted with the full videos, or the MS-13 crap. It just feeds upon itself.

"confeve" is hilarious.
(05-22-2018, 05:01 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: and Big Companies have been passing out bonuses to their employees instead of hoarding it.
I get mine this week.
So I consider this a stimulus check.

The thing is that all of these companies making record profits could have been giving bonuses for years.  The only reason they are doing it now is to make people forget that they got ten times the benefits from this tax break as you did.

It will be interesting to see how many bonuses are handed out next year with the same tax brackets in place but after the issue has died down a bit.  I am betting that even though the tax brackets will not change next year not nearly as many companies will be making these PR moves.
The hiring and the not firing of Scott Pruit.

This to me is the epitome of the Trump White House. Pruit was backed to be head of the EPA by 'big oil', which is an automatic red flag for any appointee that is backed by one of the big industries out there. But by now it has become apparent there is a zero moral compass with him and from his boss, as he still still has a job. Big corporation friend plus no moral compass is what symbolizes this White House.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(05-22-2018, 05:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The thing is that all of these companies making record profits could have been giving bonuses for years.  The only reason they are doing it now is to make people forget that they got ten times the benefits from this tax break as you did.

It will be interesting to see how many bonuses are handed out next year with the same tax brackets in place but after the issue has died down a bit.  I am betting that even though the tax brackets will not change next year not nearly as many companies will be making these PR moves.

Oh yes, every company that has had record profits for years, I guess what why Retail companies are filing bankruptcy at a record pace in 2017 right?? Someone Tell Toys'R'Us, Circuit City and the other 660 retailers they weren't allowed to do that in 2017, they shouldn't have been passing out all of those bonuses and they might have been able to survive!! By the way, 2018 has a projected increase of 30%, chew on that for a while,

The healthcare industry is next.  Wasn't it just a few years ago that Banks were filing? What about Automakers?? Dang those companies just passing out the money and never saving for downtimes!!
(05-22-2018, 06:01 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Oh yes, every company that has had record profits for years, I guess what why Retail companies are filing bankruptcy at a record pace in 2017 right?? Someone Tell Toys'R'Us, Circuit City and the other 660 retailers they weren't allowed to do that in 2017, they shouldn't have been passing out all of those bonuses and they might have been able to survive!! By the way, 2018 has a projected increase of 30%, chew on that for a while,

The healthcare industry is next.  Wasn't it just a few years ago that Banks were filing? What about Automakers?? Dang those companies just passing out the money and never saving for downtimes!!

The fact that brick and mortar retailers are struggling does nothing to negate the facts that corporate profits were at record high levels in the 4th quarter of '17.  These retailers are not dropping because of a weak economy.  They are dropping because so many people are shifting to shopping on line.  Did the economy collapse when airplanes drove passenger trains out of business?

So why will healthcare be next?

Banks failed because of lack of regulations.  Aren't you thrilled that Trump want to remove even more?

But since these tax rates for corporations are going to remain in place why not just give out raises instead of one-time bonuses?
What is my biggest issue with Trump?

Probably the fact that I will have to say "I told you so." SO many times in the rapidly approaching future.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Twitter.

(05-22-2018, 06:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The fact that brick and mortar retailers are struggling does nothing to negate the facts that corporate profits were at record high levels in the 4th quarter of '17.  These retailers are not dropping because of a weak economy.  They are dropping because so many people are shifting to shopping on line.  Did the economy collapse when airplanes drove passenger trains out of business?

So why will healthcare be next?

Banks failed because of lack of regulations.  Aren't you thrilled that Trump want to remove even more?

But since these tax rates for corporations are going to remain in place why not just give out raises instead of one-time bonuses?

do you argue just for the sake of arguing? you never stop, just change your angle is all.

Not all retailers are struggling, some actually were sitting on those record breaking piles of cash and doing ok. Did I say the economy is bad? No, Only for the mega retailers. It's a Cycle fred. Happens every few years to businesses.

Healthcare? Hospitals can't keep up in the more rural areas, most Hospitals are already operating on 1 days worth of Cash. More people are also opting for the Employee based High Deductible plans.
Guess who fits the bill if patients can't pay their high deductible?
Guess who doesn't want to go to the hospital because they have to pay high deductibles?

In 2011 the number of EHDP was 26%, as of 2016 it's almost at 40%, as per the CDC.

For banks, depends on which ones Trump wants removed.

A quarterly bonus is a raise. Anytime you get more money put into your pocket from your company, it's a raise. Who knows why they elect to do it that way. Maybe they feel that the pay system they have in place is solid and competitive, so giving raises would mess that up? Giving a bonus for the company meeting its goals is still a rise in your annual income, aka raise. You have to continue to earn it quarterly/annually etc.