Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your current "Forgotten Guy"
Every year, I think of some player that isn't getting much hype and is somewhat of a forgotten guy. For me, that player is Gio Bernard. Just two years ago, he played all 16 games, and averaged 4.4 ypc for 458 yards with two TDs, and also averaged 9 ypr and 389 yards receiving with two TDs.

That is 847 all-purpose yards and 4 TDs. This was after the Shazier concussion.

I think using Gio more as an active receiver in a pattern (instead of staying home to block on 3rd downs...) will finally use more of his potential.

Everyone loves Gio the person, but we have somewhat forgotten about Gio the player. Maybe this is the rationale for the mustache? Maybe no one will see him coming.

That is my "forgotten guy". Who is yours?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 11:56 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Every year, I think of some player that isn't getting much hype and is somewhat of a forgotten guy. For me, that player is Gio Bernard. Just two years ago, he played all 16 games, and averaged 4.4 ypc for 458 yards with two TDs, and also averaged 9 ypr and 389 yards receiving with two TDs.

That is 847 all-purpose yards and 4 TDs. This was after the Shazier concussion.

I think using Gio more as an active receiver in a pattern (instead of staying home to block on 3rd downs...) will finally use more of his potential.

Everyone loves Gio the person, but we have somewhat forgotten about Gio the player. Maybe this is the rationale for the mustache? Maybe no one will see him coming.

That is my "forgotten guy". Who is yours?

I think one forgotten guy, or perhaps overlooked, is Michael Jordan. He played ok as a rookie but I see him taking a huge step this year and being a good to great guard for us for the next few years. I don’t think it was too big for him last year even though he made his share of mistakes. Will be interesting to see how his play improves being next to Jonah as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 12:03 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think one forgotten guy, or perhaps overlooked, is Michael Jordan. He played ok as a rookie but I see him taking a huge step this year and being a good to great guard for us for the next few years. I don’t think it was too big for him last year even though he made his share of mistakes. Will be interesting to see how his play improves being next to Jonah as well.

When Jordan was injured after his slow start, I thought "well, maybe he will be better with an offseason and more time to learn the position", but he fought through the injury and played solid down the stretch.

Good example.  We don't need Jordan, Price/XSF, Hopkins, Hart/Johnson, and Williams to be Pro Bowlers...we need them to be solid vets.  That was what Jordan looked to be trending toward down the stretch.  
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 11:56 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Every year, I think of some player that isn't getting much hype and is somewhat of a forgotten guy.  For me, that player is Gio Bernard.  Just two years ago, he played all 16 games, and averaged 4.4 ypc for 458 yards with two TDs, and also averaged 9 ypr and 389 yards receiving with two TDs.

That is 847 all-purpose yards and 4 TDs.  This was after the Shazier concussion.  

Everyone loves Gio the person, but we have somewhat forgotten about Gio the player.  Maybe this is the rationale for the mustache?  Maybe no one will see him coming.  

That is my "forgotten guy".  Who is yours?
Mine is the same as it is every year and the signing of Vonn Bell makes it more so. SHAWN WILLIAMS

Over the last 2 years he's had
218 tackles (155 solo)
6 INTS for 143 yards and a TD
2 sacks 
12 PDs

Everybody's excited about the signing of the OSU product, but during that same time frame Bell has:

50 fewer tackles
5 fewer Int's for 124 fewer yards and 0 TDs
4 fewer PDs
He does has .5 more sacks

Shawn Williams has quite possibly been our most consistent performer in the last couple years and has only missed 5 games in 7 years.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Andrew Brown. Took most snaps of his career last year at both end and dt and I felt he showed well. For getting on the field and getting reps.

Look for Andrew Brown to have a breakout year as he continues to develop in the system.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 12:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Mine is the same as it is every year and the signing of Vonn Bell makes it more so. SHAWN WILLIAMS

218 tackles (155 solo)
2 sacks 
12 PDs

Everybody's excited about the signing of the OSU product, but during that same time frame Bell has:

50 fewer tackles
4 fewer PDs

Shawn Williams has quite possibly been our most consistent performer in the last couple years and has only missed 5 games in 7 years.  

Really Shawn Williams was the only other guy I thought could possibly be a forgotten guy.... Maybe Uzomah, but he's forgettable for a reason.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Mine is Ross

I think he’s going to break out. He is not a bust. I think he will figure it out
Reply/Quote
Tate is mine.. improved in this 2nd year last year, he had some great catches, with no Eifert i am hoping he gets on the field more as that 3/4 WR and makes some important possession 3rd down conversions.. I feel much better throwing to him on those 3rd downs than Ross for sure.

Nice article by SI on him over summer
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/auden-tate-underrated-bengals
Reply/Quote
O’Shea Dugas. I thought he looked really good last year as a swing OT-OG candidate. Kid has all the size, length and athleticism you want in an Olineman. Just needs experience and stay healthy this year.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/22/bengals-surprise-undrafted-rookie-in-top-10-preseason-grades-oshea-dugas/
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 11:56 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Every year, I think of some player that isn't getting much hype and is somewhat of a forgotten guy.  For me, that player is Gio Bernard.  Just two years ago, he played all 16 games, and averaged 4.4 ypc for 458 yards with two TDs, and also averaged 9 ypr and 389 yards receiving with two TDs.

That is 847 all-purpose yards and 4 TDs.  This was after the Shazier concussion.  

Everyone loves Gio the person, but we have somewhat forgotten about Gio the player.  Maybe this is the rationale for the mustache?  Maybe no one will see him coming.  

I haven't forgotten Gio. Ever since the mustache, every-time I see him the damn theme song from "Shaft" plays in my stupid head. 

Seriously tho, I've always had respect for Gio. I think ML underused his talent. Dude is a great RB.

[Image: th?id=OIP.tPadO1OGtySND0DmvvGZbgAAAA&pid...=300&h=300]

Reply/Quote
Drew Sample. We are going to see some more growing pains on this offensive line, especially early on, and i think he's finally used how he was intended when he was drafted. A blocker first, a sure handed safety valve, second. I know CJ is the incumbent vet, but Sample was drafted (even if most of us feel too highly) in the second round for some reason they felt was important moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 12:28 PM)Housh Wrote: Mine is Ross

I think he’s going to break out. He is not a bust. I think he will figure it out

I don;t think he is a "forgotten guy" probably one of the most discussed and debated players on the team and as the #9 pick so far he has been a bust...
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 01:37 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Drew Sample. We are going to see some more growing pains on this offensive line, especially early on, and i think he's finally used how he was intended when he was drafted. A blocker first, a sure handed safety valve, second. I know CJ is the incumbent vet, but Sample was drafted (even if most of us feel too highly) in the second round for some reason they felt was important moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

only his 2nd year... not sure if he was that underused or was just not ready.. but he does fit as a forgotten guy for sure...
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 12:28 PM)Housh Wrote: Mine is Ross

Yea, it's easy to see why Ross would be the forgotten choice with all the talent we have at WR. I thought last year would be his breakout year and the Seattle game was a great start for him, just didn't seem to translate into the rest of the season. Let's hope this year he finally shows why the Bengals spent a top 10 pick on him, but it's going to be an uphill battle for him with AJ coming back and the drafting of Higgins.
Reply/Quote
CJ Uzomah could have a big year with Joe Burrow. I have barely seen him mentioned this offseason.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Auden Tate. Tee Higgins is the headliner of course and the return of AJ has ignited hopes.
But Auden Tate last year with garbage QBs was in the top 10 AFC in
1st down % of his catches at 73.2 % that was better than Kelce.Landry,Stills among others
Top 10 in 1st down conversion catches at 3rd and 7 or more yards with 6.
I think his catches will go.down this year but I believe
He will.be a valuable target on 3rd downs. I don't think will be
Very many DBs that can successfully body up on him
Maybe this year he will have a QB that can actually hit him
In stride
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 12:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Mine is the same as it is every year and the signing of Vonn Bell makes it more so. SHAWN WILLIAMS

218 tackles (155 solo)
2 sacks 
12 PDs

50 fewer tackles
4 fewer PDs

I can see the Bengals running alot of 3 safety looks with Jessie Bates and Shawn William's back and Vonn Bell playing linebacker in the box. The NFL on a whole might be going to alot more 3 WR looks but the AFC North is stacked with TEs. Browns have Njoku, Hooper and drafted Bryant. Steelers have McDonald and Ebron. Ravens have Boyle and Andrews.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Im going to throw in Rodney Anderson..if he can come back..he looks like a Mixon Clone
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 12:03 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think one forgotten guy, or perhaps overlooked, is Michael Jordan. He played ok as a rookie but I see him taking a huge step this year and being a good to great guard for us for the next few years. I don’t think it was too big for him last year even though he made his share of mistakes. Will be interesting to see how his play improves being next to Jonah as well.

We have vastly different definitions of ok.

6 sacks (tied for 2nd most given up among all G in the NFL) and 6 penalties in just 58.6% of the offensive snaps.

PFF grade (if you put any stock into that) of 43.7 is outright atrocious.

Not saying he can't get better and turn out to be a good player. I'm just saying he was nowhere near ok last year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

218 tackles (155 solo)
2 sacks 
12 PDs

50 fewer tackles
4 fewer PDs

Great stats for Shawn. Just want to point out a couple things. Teams/coaches aren’t just looking at those raw stats anymore. What was QB rating against him? What was his coverage win rate? How many tackles did he miss? How many times did he win against a blocker? How many missed assignments/blown coverages.

I don’t have those answers, not sure where to find them. Maybe, Shawn is good in those areas, too, idk. Just saying need more detailed/situational comparisons with Bell before I can say one is better than the other. Also, Bell played behind one of the best run stopping lines in the league, while Shawn played behind the worst, going to have more opportunities for tackles.
Reply/Quote