Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your starting defense with what we have right now.
Give a base 3-4.  And also the 5 DB scheme we will probably use a majority of the snaps.  I think our MLBs have been playing less than 40% of the snaps in recent years.

NT....Reader
DE....Dunlap, Atkins
OLB..Lawson, Hubbard
ILB...Pratt, Bynes
Saf...Bell, Bates
CB....Jackson, Waynes

Fifth DB (Phillips or Alexander) in for Hubbard with Pratt move to outside.

The big hole I see is OLB.  Hubbard and Lawson are both really good pass rushers, but at least one of the two edge LBs generally has to play coverage.  I think we need more of a hybrid type OLB who can play coverage and still rush the QB when needed.  Hubbard needs to be on the field but he can play some snaps at DE and rotate with Lawson at OLB.

There really is no clear line between OLB and DE, but you can't have five guys that can't play coverage on the field at the same time very often.
Reply/Quote
We will be looking at more tweeners than we have in the past.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't base be Big Nickel? I see:

NT - Reader
3T - Atkins
DE - Dunlap
DE - Hubbard

Mike - Pratt
Sam - Bynes
Big Nickel/Will - Bell

CB - Waynes
CB - Jackson

FS - Bates
SS - Williams

Bell or Bynes would go out for Alexander against teams who lean on their slot receiver.  Reader and Hubbard could rotate out for Glasgow and Lawson on 3rd and longs.  I don't see any pure 3-4 OLBs on the roster.
Reply/Quote
33 has to be spent on a OLB (Baun) as it currently stands no doubt. To make the defensive overhaul complete.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
There isn't much left in regards to a OLB in free agency that
Can cover. Mychal Kendricks is still unsigned .
He's only 29. He had some productive years
In the NFC.
I expect the Bengals to draft 2 LBers.
Reply/Quote
I'm convinced pick 33 is a LB or they have their eye on someone they coached in the Senior Bowl to draft during s rounds 3+.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 12:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Give a base 3-4.  And also the 5 DB scheme we will probably use a majority of the snaps.  I think our MLBs have been playing less than 40% of the snaps in recent years.

NT....Reader
DE....Dunlap, Atkins
OLB..Lawson, Hubbard
ILB...Pratt, Bynes
Saf...Bell, Bates
CB....Jackson, Waynes

Fifth DB (Phillips or Alexander) in for Hubbard with Pratt move to outside.

The big hole I see is OLB.  Hubbard and Lawson are both really good pass rushers, but at least one of the two edge LBs generally has to play coverage.  I think we need more of a hybrid type OLB who can play coverage and still rush the QB when needed.  Hubbard needs to be on the field but he can play some snaps at DE and rotate with Lawson at OLB.

There really is no clear line between OLB and DE, but you can't have five guys that can't play coverage on the field at the same time very often.

Pretty solid run team. VErrrrrrrrrrry suspect in the pass game. 
Reply/Quote
Problem with these scenarios, is none of you have Vonn Bell on the field. No way he's not starting.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 01:14 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Problem with these scenarios, is none of you have Vonn Bell on the field. No way he's not starting.

Actually, both examples given (Fred's 3-4 and bilbo's Big Nickel) have Bell listed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
33 they might get Baun. I think he can rush and cover and could defend the run some times too
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 12:23 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Wouldn't base be Big Nickel? I see:

NT - Reader
3T - Atkins
DE - Dunlap
DE - Hubbard

Mike - Pratt
Sam - Bynes
Big Nickel/Will - Bell

CB - Waynes
CB - Jackson

FS - Bates
SS - Williams

This makes more sense than a 3-4 to me.
Reply/Quote
Because teams are running 11 personnel (3WR 1RB 1TE) around 60% of the offensive packages you are more likely to see a 335 than a 344.

That means you would have 4 guys on the line of scrimmage difference being one would be standing instead of hand down which would make him technically a linebacker. Dunlap and Hubbard both do that based on the alignment.

One major issue still that needs addressed is a true 3 down stack linebacker.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
This is why Baun is a popular choice for the Bengals at 33. He is a pass rusher, but he has experience dropping back in college and scouts believe his athleticism projects to an off ball linebacker fairly well.
Reply/Quote
Let's take a look at Baun.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/zack-baun?id=32194241-5567-7316-c31c-c66079e71b79

Quote:Overview

Ascending prospect whose explosive production on the field has begun to mirror his explosive athletic traits. Baun's twitchy get-off and deep bend at the edge is nightmare fuel for Big Ten tackles and he's still at the early stages of pass rush development. He is aggressive to flow downhill in run support, has sideline-to-sideline range and is fluid dropping into coverage. He's strong but a little light as an edge-setter so teams will need to figure out how best to align him. Baun is a scheme-diverse linebacker with high-impact potential whose best days are ahead of him.

Strengths

Twitchy and explosive
Ill-tempered striking on display against Ohio State
Lateral slide quickness to close running lanes from backside
Rush zombie with good secondary rush motor
Quick hands to punch and play around blocks
Speed and athleticism to cover RBs and match up with TEs in space
Smooth drops and fluid hips amplify zone cover radius
Good tackle range with speed to go get them
Flexible and strong to maintain balance through contact
Proper sink and extension to set a solid edge
Agility and suddenness to expand his reach as open-field tackler
Dangerous burst and bend whips tardy tackles around the edge
Quick trigger to create disruption in backfield
Good rip-and-run to flatten and attack the pocket

Weaknesses

Lacks desired size of a full-time, NFL edge rusher
Long-arm tackles pester him at point of attack
Needs to harness energy as open-field tackler
Occasionally telegraphs rush plan with pre-snap setup of feet
Antsy demeanor causes delays coming off the ball at times
Rush momentum can carry him beyond the arc
Mechanical in his rush counters
Currently wins with athletic ability over skill level as pass rusher
Some panic when face-guarding down the field

From what I'm reading, his strengths outweigh his weaknesses. I really like that in his strengths, they listed comfortable and fluid hips in his drops. It also seems to me that with a 6.50 grade, that he can develop or be coached past those weaknesses.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
DE- Dunlap
3T- Atkins
NT- Reader
DE- Hubbard
3-4- Bynes
LB- Pratt
NB- Alexander
CB-Jackson
CB-Waynes
FS- Bates
SS- Bell

Sub Package- Williams NLB, Edge- Lawson, NDT- A.Brown
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 01:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, both examples given (Fred's 3-4 and bilbo's Big Nickel) have Bell listed.

You're right.... freakin Corona
Reply/Quote
It's a good discussion, and likely matchup driven regarding snap count. Bell and Williams will get "starter" reps, at times as the 5th DB and at times with one at NLB.

They need one starting LB still. What that positon is only the FO knows. That makes versatility the key, hence the Baun talk since coverage and pass rush isn't an easy get.

One thing that is critical is having the right rotations to have a scheme over just putting talent out there. If Bell or Williams get hurt, are you sliding over Pratt (or a coverage rookie) or are you drafting another safety by mid round? Do Hubbard and Lawson platoon one positon, or are you having a 3 man rotation at OLB with Bynes and Pratt or a rookie in the middle? We're talking draft because no matter how much they added, they're one starter short and it's funny that it could be one of three types of player.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 03:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Because teams are running 11 personnel (3WR 1RB 1TE) around 60% of the offensive packages you are more likely to see a 335 than a 344.

That means you would have 4 guys on the line of scrimmage difference being one would be standing instead of hand down which would make him technically a linebacker. Dunlap and Hubbard both do that based on the alignment.

One major issue still that needs addressed is a true 3 down stack linebacker.

This.
Reply/Quote
I’m okay with that defense. If anything I’d like to see them sign a couple of veteran linebackers (like Ogletree if he’s still available) just to get some experienced bodies on the roster.

I’m okay with it as long as they’re going to continue to work on the roster going into next year. I don’t expect them to win the super bowl but I want to see improvement and that they’re actually working towards that goal.
Reply/Quote
The Big Nickel is the reason why I think you see another safety drafted. I think Bell/Williams are essentially LBs in this defense. I want another guy that can cover back there - Delpit would be great along side Bates.
Reply/Quote