Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Youth Movement
In 2016 the Bengals were the 10th oldest team at an average age of 26.3 (granted last year Whit pulled the average up) With our current roster, even with losing 4 draft picks to cuts, injuries, or PS the Bengals will be the 3d youngest with an average age of 25.3. Our youngest player is 21 year old Joe Mixon (just 4 months younger than Josh Malone) Oldest is Adam Jones who will be 34 later this month.

This year we have 37% of our roster with 2 years or less experience. Clubhouse leaders Peko and Whitworth are gone and Peerman on IR. This is a make over of the team we haven't seen in some time.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Yeah...I think it was much needed.

The fear is we haven't been drafting too many dominant players in the past 2-3 years...so when guys like Dunlap, Green, and Atkins start to slow down...we could be in trouble for some time.

Our drafting needs to improve plain and simple. Maybe we'll get some good starters out of this past draft.
Reply/Quote
This youth movement is much needed, but it's also precisely why my expectations aren't high for this season. I expect some growing pains.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals and Reds are going through a similar transition.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 05:36 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I think the Bengals and Reds are going through a similar transition.
Sad. I actually have more hope for the Bengals winning than I do the Reds.
Reply/Quote
Young with a good mix of veterans.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Glad to see us getting younger, as the OP stated it was a shock to see we had one of the oldest rosters.

Now if Marvin would only play rookies not named AJ or the Ginger Genius......
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I'm excited to see a youth movement at O-line coach... Wasted
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 05:36 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I think the Bengals and Reds are going through a similar transition.

The Reds have no desire to win anything in the near future. Some people think MB is bad, well the Reds owner is worse. The once proud Reds have become an embarrassment.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Seems like we have a youth movement every year, how about movement a little deeper in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
The trick these days is to get solid production from players on rookie contracts mixed with star veteran players to stay under cap yet be better than that.

Problem is it is taking too long to get our youngsters on the field per injuries and Marvin not liking youth.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 07:16 PM)corpjet Wrote: Glad to see us getting younger, as the OP stated it was a shock to see we had one of the oldest rosters.

I guess i am going to just have to find copy paste my post that shows this is not supported by facts.. for now I will just state that the Bengals play rookies when positions are open or competitive.. we also have to exclude rookies that are hurt from this post
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 11:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I guess i am going to just have to find copy paste my post that shows this is not supported by facts.. for now I will just state that the Bengals play rookies when positions are open or competitive.. we also have to exclude rookies that are hurt from this post

Tyler Boyd comes to mind last year as getting alot of snaps as a rookie, as well as Erickson.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 07:16 PM)corpjet Wrote: Glad to see us getting younger, as the OP stated it was a shock to see we had one of the oldest rosters.

You mean like Hill, Bernard, Zeitler, Boyd, Sanu, Jones, Bodine?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
More importantly, this team got a lot faster.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 11:28 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: More importantly, this team got a lot faster.

Beyond that, it got better at pass rush with the addition of Willis, Lawson, and Smith.

It get stronger at RB with the addition of Mixon, WR with the additions of Ross and Malone, LB with the addition of Evans (who I think outplayed just about every LB not named Burfict that I saw on any team this preseason), K with the addition of Bullock, and DT with the addition of Billings.  

This team is markedly better than the 2015 that had a healthy squad (except QB down the stretch) and won 12 games.  
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 04:57 PM)pally Wrote: In 2016 the Bengals were the 10th oldest team at an average age of 26.3 (granted last year Whit pulled the average up) With our current roster, even with losing 4 draft picks to cuts, injuries, or PS the Bengals will be the 3d youngest with an average age of 25.3.    Our youngest player is 21 year old Joe Mixon (just 4 months younger than Josh Malone)  Oldest is Adam Jones who will be 34 later this month.

This year we have 37% of our roster with 2 years or less experience.  Clubhouse leaders Peko and Whitworth are gone and Peerman on IR.  This is a make over of the team we haven't seen in some time.

Adam Jones and Burfict actually aren't currently counted towards most of the roster age/experience rankings right now, because they are technically not on the roster. They're on a suspended list, which is why when they come off of it, people will have to be cut to make room for them.

- - - - - - - -

That fact aside, getting younger is only good if those young players are any good. Honestly it's not normally a great thing to have a young team, because rarely will a team be stacked with young talent. The 2011Bengals and 2013 Seahawks are generally the exceptions, not the rule.

Of the top 10 youngest rosters in 2017, only 2 of them had a winning record in 2016. The 10 teams had a combined 54-105-1 record in 2016.

This isn't like the last youth movement the Bengals had. That team had AJ Green, Andy Dalton, Jermaine Gresham, Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Michael Johnson, Clint Boling, and Rey Maualuga (when he still looked promising).

Who are those players on this roster? I don't see any Greens/Dunlaps/Atkins among the young guys. Just a whole lot of PJ Dawsons, Brandon Ghees, and Dontay Mochs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Our playoff record resembles a movement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote