Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Zac Has Extremely High Confidence in His Coaches
(12-31-2020, 11:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not trying to be a prique, but we should make a sticky of all the folks on here that aren't coming back to the boards and won't watch the games if A, B, or C doesn't happen.  

Why make a sticky? I stopped watching games in 2018, 2019, and 2020, yet I'm still on here nearly every day.
EDIT - As I've explained before, I'm not in the local market for Bengals games, so it costs me money to watch them if I want to unless they are on primetime. If I'm not confident they will be a good team, I don't want to spend money to watch them. If all the coaches are back, I think the likelihood of being good (having a winning season) is not great.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd be down with bringing Guenther in for some type of DC consultant role. I'd imagine some team will hire him though as a coordinator. No clue.

Wasn't he a LB Coach here under Zimmer?
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 11:33 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Why make a sticky? I stopped watching games in 2018, 2019, and 2020, yet I'm still on here nearly every day.
EDIT - As I've explained before, I'm not in the local market for Bengals games, so it costs me money to watch them if I want to unless they are on primetime. If I'm not confident they will be a good team, I don't want to spend money to watch them. If all the coaches are back, I think the likelihood of being good (having a winning season) is not great.

Just like the tired old argument about real fans attend the games to support the team (if they are local).  I never told people how they can spend their money, and although I attended all the games for the better part of 20 years, I now watch from home.  It was more the health of my dad than anything else, but I sure don't miss being in the stands compared to sitting in front of a 65" TV with a fire in the fireplace and a bourbon in my hand.

Not watching is completely in your rights. I didn't realize that you did that before and still logged in to discuss.  How much do games cost if you live out of town?  I'm just curious.  Look, I get it, but it seems like every year there is a list of people that aren't coming back if the Bengals don't fire someone or replace a player, etc.  I would think the mere presence of Joe Burrow would make anyone want to come back, but like I said, that is your choice 100%.  
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 10:11 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When coaching/scheme is bad and a team wins 6.5 games over 2 years...the talent always looks bad.

In reality, this team has more talent than their level of play. Much more.

And the Cousins locking down the cap thing you note, is going to happen here in a few years when Burrow signs a huge extension. If people think they have trouble building a team now, wait until Burrow is making $45 million a year. Drafting will be MORE important.

Zac has only had 2 drafts. The first was rushed, the 2nd he absolutely nailed. The draft is one of the things he actually seems to do well.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 11:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Just like the tired old argument about real fans attend the games to support the team (if they are local).  I never told people how they can spend their money, and although I attended all the games for the better part of 20 years, I now watch from home.  It was more the health of my dad than anything else, but I sure don't miss being in the stands compared to sitting in front of a 65" TV with a fire in the fireplace and a bourbon in my hand.

Not watching is completely in your rights. I didn't realize that you did that before and still logged in to discuss.  How much do games cost if you live out of town?  I'm just curious.  Look, I get it, but it seems like every year there is a list of people that aren't coming back if the Bengals don't fire someone or replace a player, etc.  I would think the mere presence of Joe Burrow would make anyone want to come back, but like I said, that is your choice 100%.  

When I said I won't watch, I don't mean forever. I mean until they consistently win, as I am not entertained watching a bottom feeder team.

To answer your question, I really have just 4 options to pay for games:
1) NFL Sunday Ticket, which I won't do because AT&T is trash
2) NFL GamePass, which I did this year. It's $100 for the season, but I have to wait until the game is over to watch it. I watched until Burrow went down.
3) Go to a restaurant/bar that has NFL Sunday Ticket. When I do that, I'm paying ~$50 for food, drinks, and tip for me and my wife every time. If I'm not hopeful the Bengals will compete for the playoffs, I don't want to spend that amount of money just to watch them.
4) NFL RedZone for $11/month. I tried RedZone back in 2019 but didn't like it. They change to other games too frequently in the middle of drives. Also, depending on how often the Bengals actually get into the red zone, I may not really even get to see them.

As for Joe Burrow, he was main reason I even bothered with GamePass this year. But even with him, the team only got 2.5 wins. That's why even with his return, I'm not confident in this team competing for playoffs unless they bring in a great crop of players in FA and draft. They simply need too many better players to be good.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 11:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Zac has only had 2 drafts. The first was rushed, the 2nd he absolutely nailed. The draft is one of the things he actually seems to do well.

The 1st was rushed? Flores coached in the same SB as Taylor?

The 2nd was nailed? Picking Burrow 1 took no thought. Higgins was a good pick. The other guys? The jury is still out.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 01:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The 1st was rushed? Flores coached in the same SB as Taylor?

The 2nd was nailed? Picking Burrow 1 took no thought. Higgins was a good pick. The other guys? The jury is still out.

I like what I've seen from Wilson early on...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 01:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The 1st was rushed? Flores coached in the same SB as Taylor?

I don't think the jury is still out on Wilson. He has prove to be a good linebacker. And for 1st year guys, ADG and Adeniji have shown promise.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 02:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't think the jury is still out on Wilson. He has prove to be a good linebacker. And for 1st year guys, ADG and Adeniji have shown promise.

Skeptics must expect these guys to be Pro Bowlers year 1.  Wilson is our best LB, end of story.  ADG flashed but still looks a bit like a square peg in a round hole.  I thought they would keep him around 229 and have him play as a third safety....they went the other way and he looks BIG and not as fast.  I hope they turn him loose as a pass rusher against Lamar Jackson.  That has always been his highest grade...in college as well...as a pass rusher.

Adeniji came in and played tackle very well, but declined as some weak areas were exposed. Fine.  He played a lot of time as a rookie with no camp or preseason and graded out better than a veteran like Fred Johnson.  I will take it as a 6th rounder.  

Khalid Kareem was being rated higher than Dunlap (quitter 2.0).  He allowed them to get rid of that Cancer.  And as a 5th rounder.  

We have seen very little of Bailey and I still have high hopes for him.  That guy has great instincts and if he can be healthy, I think he, Wilson, and Pratt will form a formidable LB starting corps.

I have no idea how you do better than 6 picks getting significant playing time and a 7th getting a few valuable snaps here at the end.  Yes, Burrow was a no brainer, but a lot of people wanted to trade out and get a haul of picks....nope.  Burrow was the right pick, and many people also wanted a LB in the 2nd round.  Yet, they went with Higgins and he went out and broke a 20+ year Bengals rookie receiving record.  

This draft was excellent.  
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 01:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The 1st was rushed? Flores coached in the same SB as Taylor?

I think everyone has a different version of "nailed."

"Nailing" a draft to me is getting 4 good starters.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 02:52 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Dehner has mentioned that Zim is still very popular among the FO. He also mentioned that if Zim was let go by Minnesota that he could see the team seriously consider moving on from Zac. Now, that was before the 2 game win streak. I could see them pursue Zim heavily for the DC gig if no other team offers him a HC spot. 

They could easily sell Zim to the fan base as a potential Zac replacement if he starts slow again next year.

Would love Zim back here man, would absolutely love it.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 02:16 PM)jason Wrote: I like what I've seen from Wilson early on...

Jonah, Pratt, Higgins, Wilson, ADG and Adeniji were all very good picks have to say.

Burrow was a no brainer but I have to agree with Sled on the Drafts we have had, they have been good since Taylor got here.

Much better than those Og type picks we saw in Marv's time.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 05:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think everyone has a different version of "nailed."

"Nailing" a draft to me is getting 4 good starters.

Yeah...there's about 4 Zac fanboys on the board that obsessively applaud every move he does.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 06:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Jonah, Pratt, Higgins, Wilson, ADG and Adeniji were all very good picks have to say.

Burrow was a no brainer but I have to agree with Sled on the Drafts we have had, they have been good since Taylor got here.

Much better than those Og type picks we saw in Marv's time.

Jonah has been meh. Maybe he'll improve. He's basically Bobby Hart with the run blocking and pass blocking switched.

Pratt grades out terrible aside from a game or two late in the year.

Higgins - Agreed. Good to great pick.

Wilson - Barely sees the field with poor starters in front of him. Has some potential. I don't know why he doesn't play more.

ADG - Grades out terrible. Nothing special yet.

Adeniji - Can't beat out Fred Johnson. Got yanked after 10 snaps in a game and hasn't seen the field again.

I think on a good team like the Steelers or Ravens, Jonah and Higgins are the only guys on that list that see the field. The rest are backups and deep bench guys if they even make the team.

Young guys may develop, but there's 1-2 quality starters on that list at this point. The rest are bench guys that really need work to develop. And they may develop. But, they aren't good now.

You do realize that Bates was picked under Marvin. As was WJ3. Lawson.

And it's hard to know how much say the coaches have in these picks.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 06:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...there's about 4 Zac fanboys on the board that obsessively applaud every move he does.

You know I want Zac gone but I cannot say the Drafting was bad the last few years.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 06:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Jonah has been meh. Maybe he'll improve.

Wilson - Barely sees the field with poor starters in front of him. Has some potential.

ADG - Grades out terrible.

Adeniji - Can't beat out Fred Johnson. Got yanked after 10 snaps in a game and hasn't seen the field again.

I think on a good team like the Steelers or Ravens, Jonah and Higgins are the only guys on that list that see the field. The rest are backups and deep bench guys if they even make the team.

Jonah was easily our best Lineman this year before he went down to injury. Pratt is better than Bynes in his second year I 
don't care about the grades, I watch the man play, he is good and will just get better. Higgins, great pick no question. Wilson
got hurt, not his fault, ADG has made lots of plays this year, he is just very raw and said that from the beginning. 

ADG could be a future star once the game slows down for him. Adeniji is already way better than MJ.

The bad picks in the last few years were Finley and MJ clearly, terrible picks.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 06:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Jonah has been meh. Maybe he'll improve. He's basically Bobby Hart with the run blocking and pass blocking switched.

Wilson - Barely sees the field with poor starters in front of him. Has some potential. I don't know why he doesn't play more.

ADG - Grades out terrible. Nothing special yet.

Young guys may develop, but there's 1-2 quality starters on that list at this point. The rest are bench guys that really need work to develop. And they may develop. But, they aren't good now.

You do realize that Bates was picked under Marvin. As was WJ3. Lawson.

And it's hard to know how much say the coaches have in these picks.

I disagree about a couple.

Jonah Williams - Was the Bengals' best pass protector. I think people are being overly critical of him because they expect/want him to be a Top 15 guy right out of the gate.

Germaine Pratt - He's greatly improved his pass coverage the past 1-2 months. He's just really, really bad defending the run. The Bengals don't really have a LB who is good against the run.

I would say out of the 17 draft picks Zac Taylor's crew have been involved with, they've "nailed" 3 of them so far - Jonah, Burrow, and Higgins.
Wilson and Pratt have shown improvement this season, but I don't think either are starter-worthy yet in an ideal situation.
Adeniji looks ok for a backup but I would not want him to start.
Sample is a good blocker, but more to be desired as a pass catcher.
Jordan and Finley have probably the most glaring "bad" picks.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
from Elise James

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/bengals-major-shakeup-zac-taylor-coaching-staff

Sources tell AllBengals that the team will move on from multiple assistants at the end of the season.

The organization began mulling big changes with the current coaching staff after the Bengals lost to the Dolphins in Week 13. At that time the team ranked near the bottom of the NFL in multiple categories including points scored (29th), rushing (30th), and total defense (26th).

League sources tell AllBengals that the Bengals' front office has been blunt and forthcoming in their conversations with Taylor as they evaluate the direction of the franchise. The second-year head coach is going to return for a third season, but there will be plenty of new faces on his staff.

The organization began having conversations about the future with their current staff this week.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

And their 2019 draft was shit too....with a better front office than the Bengals.

Christian Wilkins round 1. 

No 2nd round pick.

Michael Deiter round 3, a back-up center. 

No 4th round pick.

Andrew Van Ginkel round 5 a back-up LB

Isaiah Prince round 6 a guy on OUR Covid list now after being waived.

Chandler Cox round 7 a FB with no stats at all this year and 2 catches in his career.

Myles Gaskin round 7 a RB who actually is doing decent for them, but will most likely be replaced this year.

So... 1 good starter and one decent player in his first draft... Damn he killed that draft.

:andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy:  

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 06:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...there's about 4 Zac fanboys on the board that obsessively applaud every move he does.

I haven't seen any fanboys of him but what I do see is people like you who were miserable with Lewis and miserable with Palmer and miserable with Dalton and miserable with Taylor and soon to be miserable with Burrow.

Seriously, just shut up all ready. How can you be a fan of a team and hate every player, and every coach on the team?

Yea, Zac looks bad, there is no doubt about that but Mike Brown has shown he is going to do his own thing, so rather then sit here and ***** and moan and be miserable, I continue to cheer for the team and hope that Taylor develops into a decent coach. It's better to be hopeful then sit here and just be an absolute pariah.

If they fired him Monday, I'd be excited for the new coach and hopeful for the change. I'm just not going to sit here and complain about every damn thing the team does.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote