Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Should Have Taken A Page From McVey
(09-22-2019, 07:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Was the offense or defense the bigger reason?

I look at it this way, Bengals were up 17-14. All the defense had to do was stop the Bills, did they? Did the Bills even really break much of a sweat marching down the field scoring a TD?

The defense most certainly doesn't deserve a pass on this game. They gave up over 400 yards...
Reply/Quote
Defense has some talent but crappy LBs and the over paid Kirkpatrick really hold it back. Everytime Phillips gets an opportunity the guy performs. Lets get the big play liability of Kirk off the field and get Phillis some more time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 07:08 PM)GodFather Wrote: I look at it this way, Bengals were up 17-14. All the defense had to do was stop the Bills, did they? Did the Bills even really break much of a sweat marching down the field scoring a TD?

The defense most certainly doesn't deserve a pass on this game. They gave up over 400 yards...

Bills defense gave up 300+

Difference is their offense made the plays when it mattered most. Ours choked.

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 06:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, you can’t fix everything at once. No matter how loud people scream about fixing the OL.

For me, I’m ready to see another QB. If the next guy does no better than maybe Taylor isn’t the guy.

I don't know that that's true. The Bills signed 22 free agents and they're now 3-0.

Although I do think their offense is quite limited.

As far as our defense...I saw misdirection plays continue to work. They ran a TE jet sweep and it gained like 13 yards. I saw passes work. Allen is a limited QB and he threw for 243 yards and rushed for 46 yards. The Bills had something like 157 yards rushing with their best back out.

We just didn't give up points on scoreboard. But, not a solid performance.
Reply/Quote
What I don't understand is why he thought a 1st time coordinator would be able to turn a bad defense around. Wouldn't ZT have done better by trying to score one of the top 15 College def coordinators?? That would stay with the new, young and inventive coaches while infusing brand new cutting edge schemes and techniques into a defense that sorely needs it...

MEH, who knows??
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 06:35 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Won't lie, I was pretty psyched when rumours of Jack del Rio were flying.

Hindsight is 20/20, but that probably would have been an infinitly better hire.

Me too. I was extremely disappointed they passed on him. 
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 06:28 PM)GodFather Wrote: So before the season when Zac was looking for his DC, I still think he should've went after an older successful experienced Defensive Coordinator. Lou is a new DC and unproven and in all honesty didn't have any stock in him before the season and he hasn't done anything to really change my mind.

I know and have said it's going to take time for Zac to shape this team into a successful team and have already written this season into a transitional year from day one, and am still ok with it.

But getting a successful DC to get this defense into shape would be working in tandem with Zac shaping the offense how he envisioned it. We'll see how it plays out...

I think an experienced DC would have been important if this wasn't a team in transition. But it's a rookie HC, a rookie OC and they probably weren't going to compete this year even if Zac had enticed Wade Phillips to join him. By the time we're ready to compete on offense, the DC won't be a rookie any more.

As an aside, I also think any DC will have a difficult job trying to build a defense without premium picks and without notable free agent acquisitions. The D has had just two picks in the top 70 in the last FIVE drafts (24th in 2016 and 54th in 2018) - and 2020 is increasingly looking like QB in the 1st meaning it's going to be several years before they get the injection of talent needed.
Reply/Quote