Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor
Loved going for the win with the pass to Tee. Took some cajones to make that call. His best decision as a Bengal. He is improving as a head coach. We are not winning in spite of Zac Taylor anymore we are starting to win because of him.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 07:19 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Loved going for the win with the pass to Tee. Took some cajones to make that call. His best decision as a Bengal. He is improving as a head coach. We are not winning in spite of Zac Taylor anymore we are starting to win because of him.

I agree, but I suspect there are still people that will refuse to admit it. He's coordinating one of the top offenses in the league for the second year in a row, he has been a major part of turning this franchise into a genuine Super Bowl contender (including actually GOING to a Super Bowl) and is overall making great decisions consistently. 
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 07:19 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Loved going for the win with the pass to Tee. Took some cajones to make that call. His best decision as a Bengal. He is improving as a head coach. We are not winning in spite of Zac Taylor anymore we are starting to win because of him.

Taylor has quieted the critics including myself. Our offense is really coming on right now with the oline playing well getting the run and pass games going at the same time. I still think we should've run it on 2nd and 4 then maybe we either never get to 3rd down or have a 3rd and very manageable. But the result was a win and I'm not going to complain. 
Reply/Quote
Think about this Zac Taylor play call pundits: Since Week 5 when they really went shotgun heavy, the only more efficient offense in the NFL is Kansas City's by about .01 EPA/play. In week 13 the Bengals ran well but maybe not quite -as- well, so they're now the 2nd most efficient passing offense and the 3rd most efficient rushing offense in the NFL since Week 5.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
One thing that drives me crazy are the little dump passes at or behind the LOS. I hate those. They hardly ever go anywhere. Recently I've noticed Hurst going out about 3 to 4 yards and catching it (but taking a pop too). I'd rather see those and get a few yards.

I remember John Madden saying to get the first down you have to make sure you go beyond the sticks. It seems in the modern day of play calling that dumping it off 3 yards short and trusting your guy to break a tackle and dive past the sticks is what's expected. I'm not in that camp unless there's nothing else.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Isn’t it amazing how much better Zac Taylor’s play calling “improved” once the offensive line started run blocking and pass protecting better? Curious how that happens, isn’t it?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 07:32 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Our offense is really coming on right now with the oline playing well getting the run and pass games going at the same time. 

The line has been the biggest thing holding us back. Now with their skill sets finally coming together, we are improving drastically. I’ve been a Zac supporter since day 1. However, he did have me towing the line of disgust a few times early this year. After going to the SB last year, starting this year off in the fashion we did was a huge disappointment.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 07:50 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Isn’t it amazing how much better Zac Taylor’s play calling “improved” once the offensive line started run blocking and pass protecting better? Curious how that happens, isn’t it?

Very much so
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

If he would just do another MFING QB sneak with 6" to go...you aren't going to stop that twice.  Yes, everything else was really good.  
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 07:49 PM)EatonFan Wrote: One thing that drives me crazy are the little dump passes at or behind the LOS.  I hate those.  They hardly ever go anywhere.  Recently I've noticed Hurst going out about 3 to 4 yards and catching it (but taking a pop too).  I'd rather see those and get a few yards.

I remember John Madden saying to get the first down you have to make sure you go beyond the sticks.  It seems in the modern day of play calling that dumping it off 3 yards short and trusting your guy to break a tackle and dive past the sticks is what's expected.  I'm not in that camp unless there's nothing else.

That's not Zac, though - that's Joe. Joe is taking his checkdown option there and most plays are going to have those built into it. 
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 08:18 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: That's not Zac, though - that's Joe. Joe is taking his checkdown option there and most plays are going to have those built into it. 

The line was jammed. I just don't know that a jet sweep was the right play to go to.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 08:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The line was jammed. I just don't know that a jet sweep was the right play to go to.

That's a fine criticism and one that I share. I didn't care for the jet sweep, either. 
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 07:49 PM)EatonFan Wrote: One thing that drives me crazy are the little dump passes at or behind the LOS. I hate those. They hardly ever go anywhere. Recently I've noticed Hurst going out about 3 to 4 yards and catching it (but taking a pop too). I'd rather see those and get a few yards.

I remember John Madden saying to get the first down you have to make sure you go beyond the sticks. It seems in the modern day of play calling that dumping it off 3 yards short and trusting your guy to break a tackle and dive past the sticks is what's expected. I'm not in that camp unless there's nothing else.

It’s ok on crossing patterns and those dump offs to Hurst are often first or second down where four or five yards can make a big difference.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 07:55 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If he would just do another MFING QB sneak with 6" to go...you aren't going to stop that twice.  Yes, everything else was really good.  

I never understand why they don’t spread them out more on those short yardage plays.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 07:51 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: The line has been the biggest thing holding us back. Now with their skill sets finally coming together, we are improving drastically. I’ve been a Zac supporter since day 1. However, he did have me towing the line of disgust a few times early this year. After going to the SB last year, starting this year off in the fashion we did was a huge disappointment.

I was disappointed in the oline at first. We've such a good job adding pieces to the defense it was frustrating it wasn't working on the oline. I know it was expected to take time to gel but it just took a little longer than we or I was hoping. It sucks we lost Awuzie but there isn't a unit on this team right now I view as a weakness. We are setup to have another very exciting end of the year.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 08:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The line was jammed. I just don't know that a jet sweep was the right play to go to.

I would like to see some direct snap stuff to the RB not all the time but in a situation like yesterday where your running good. Who cares if they know what's coming get an extra blocker in there and that extra half sec for the RB to read and react.
Reply/Quote
Up until the injuries a few games ago, I've never felt Zac did a good job adjusting his playcalls to the personnel on the field. He's had a vision since day 1, but it wasn't run successfully unless it was the right team on the field to make it happen. That's my personal opinion. That said, I've been nothing but impressed with how they've adjusted and gotten all of the guys on the field active and kept things going, not in a "serviceable" sense, but scoring consistently and easily, and I am happy to give Zac credit for that.

Were the struggles in part because Burrow might have been forcing it to Chase? Was it because the OL was playing terribly? Maybe to both. But the adjustment to the blocking scheme and the personnel variety recently have impressed me, and I'm loving what I'm seeing from this offense right now. Getting Chase back at 100% and getting Mixon back for this last stretch of games and the playoffs is massive. Especially since they've been successful without either, having them back should make them more potent than ever. I'm excited to watch things play out from here.

I also think there are going to be head-scratchers in any game. Go for it or don't. Run a wide backfield play or up the gut. It's easy to armchair it, but I'd rather discuss a play or two on Mondays vs an entire drive or several drives. So he's definitely got things in a great place right now.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 07:50 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Isn’t it amazing how much better Zac Taylor’s play calling “improved” once the offensive line started run blocking and pass protecting better?  Curious how that happens, isn’t it?

Amazing how much better everyone looks, when all parties involved contribute toward the successful outcome.  All cynicism aside, the OL has become what we were hoping it would be at the outset of the season.  It is so much easier to implement a diabolical game plan, when you have the people in place to execute said plan.

So yes, kudos to Zac, as well as everyone else involved.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Probably need to give some credit to Brian Callahan also. This may be his last season here. He might be getting some attention for a head coaching gig next year.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 08:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I never understand why they don’t spread them out more on those short yardage plays.

Agreed, going 4 wide and handing it off to Perine seems like it would be a better play than going under center in a tight formation. Then again I don’t know anything lol
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote