Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor
(12-05-2022, 08:57 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I would like to see some direct snap stuff to the RB not all the time but in a situation like yesterday where your running good. Who cares if they know what's coming get an extra blocker in there and that extra half sec for the RB to read and react.

Yep.

A lot of teams go goalline personnel...in tight. Play action to a TE or extra lineman.

Probably could have did play action and bootlegged Joe in for a td too.

That play looked worse as no one blocked Dunlap. I'm not really sure about that side of it.
Reply/Quote
It's quite possible Zac Taylor is better at calling an NFL Offense than anyone on this board.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 09:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's quite possible Zac Taylor is better at calling an NFL Offense than anyone on this board.

He was certainly better at dating and marrying Mike Sherman's daughter than anyone on the board.  Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
A little-noticed thing Zac did yesterday was to choose to receive when we won the toss. That had to fire up the O
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
He’s coaching his ass off

But Burrow and Perine are playing like a gods right now so i can’t decide how much of this is actually Zac.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I know this from somebody who talks to Zac 4-5 times a week that they’ve not been able to do a lot of things on offense because they didn’t want to get Joe killed. There’s an excellent chance it’s just all coming to fruition. Some of us said if we could run the ball with the new OL it’d open up the passing game. That it has.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 07:19 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Loved going for the win with the pass to Tee. Took some cajones to make that call. His best decision as a Bengal. He is improving as a head coach. We are not winning in spite of Zac Taylor anymore we are starting to win because of him.

We never were winning in spite of him, lol. What about the cajones against KC last year on the goal line? Or running a jet sweep on 4th down against LV in the playoffs?

Some of you just don't understand how bad a trash oline can make "play calling" look.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 07:49 PM)EatonFan Wrote: One thing that drives me crazy are the little dump passes at or behind the LOS.  I hate those.  They hardly ever go anywhere.  Recently I've noticed Hurst going out about 3 to 4 yards and catching it (but taking a pop too).  I'd rather see those and get a few yards.

I remember John Madden saying to get the first down you have to make sure you go beyond the sticks.  It seems in the modern day of play calling that dumping it off 3 yards short and trusting your guy to break a tackle and dive past the sticks is what's expected.  I'm not in that camp unless there's nothing else.

Except it's not modern at all ..... it's a throwback to a staple of the WCO. 

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 08:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The line was jammed. I just don't know that a jet sweep was the right play to go to.

(12-05-2022, 08:29 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: That's a fine criticism and one that I share. I didn't care for the jet sweep, either. 

Here's the thing....the majority of the time, the end crashes down with the rest of the line, and that play works. Less often, he doesn't and gets up field to take it away. The latter happened Sunday and you take the L on the play. 

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 09:02 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Up until the injuries a few games ago, I've never felt Zac did a good job adjusting his playcalls to the personnel on the field.  He's had a vision since day 1, but it wasn't run successfully unless it was the right team on the field to make it happen.  That's my personal opinion.  That said, I've been nothing but impressed with how they've adjusted and gotten all of the guys on the field active and kept things going, not in a "serviceable" sense, but scoring consistently and easily, and I am happy to give Zac credit for that.  

Were the struggles in part because Burrow might have been forcing it to Chase?  Was it because the OL was playing terribly?  Maybe to both.  But the adjustment to the blocking scheme and the personnel variety recently have impressed me, and I'm loving what I'm seeing from this offense right now. Getting Chase back at 100% and getting Mixon back for this last stretch of games and the playoffs is massive.  Especially since they've been successful without either, having them back should make them more potent than ever.  I'm excited to watch things play out from here.  

I also think there are going to be head-scratchers in any game.  Go for it or don't.  Run a wide backfield play or up the gut.  It's easy to armchair it, but I'd rather discuss a play or two on Mondays vs an entire drive or several drives. So he's definitely got things in a great place right now.

A lot of that is your QB.....and the staff would never throw him under the bus. Nor should they.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 09:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep.

A lot of teams go goalline personnel...in tight. Play action to a TE or extra lineman.

Probably could have did play action and bootlegged Joe in for a td too.

That play looked worse as no one blocked Dunlap. I'm not really sure about that side of it.

Most DT crash inside on short yardage, but Dunlap didn't do that on that play. Hindsight is always great, but we won end of story.
Reply/Quote