Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor & Drew Sample... Are they attached forever
Tiger

I think that we've been spoiled under the ML era because we were able to figure out his draft tendencies over time.Now the one fixture is going after first round cornerbacks in the draft or in FA. Thats the one philosophy left from the ML era because it seems that Duke has carried the mantra on. What does Zac really like to do in the draft?  When we think draft and Zac I think Drew Sample to a fault. Don't you? 
Which leads me to believe that value picks could be.....Anyone.. I'm going to go out on a limb and call Drew Sample a second round bust.
Reply/Quote
I think last year's draft is a pretty good indication of how Zac drafts. The 5th pick in the 2nd round isn't that far off from the 31st first in the 1st round. Same with the other rounds as well.

Zac had his eyes on a player in the 2nd round in 2021 that he knew was too early at 38, so he traded down, accumulated picks and still got his man. Then, he seemed to draft every faller from the previous round. Ossai was supposed to be a 2nd rounder, Smith was supposed to be a day 2 pick, Sample was a value pick, Hill had some early day 3 buzz etc.

I expect the Bengals to hard target one player in the opening frame and, if they think he'll last in a trade down, they will but they'll generally draft players that "should have been" drafted the previous round. You saw the same thing with Tee Higgins ADG, Adeniji, Bailey and Logan Wilson in 2020.

2019 was the only draft where they made significant reaches (Sample, Finley and Jordan) and I think they either learned their lesson from that year or they simply did not have enough time to fully construct their board because they had to wait until after the Super Bowl for Zac to officially be hired.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2022, 09:47 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think last year's draft is a pretty good indication of how Zac drafts. The 5th pick in the 2nd round isn't that far off from the 31st first in the 1st round. Same with the other rounds as well.

Zac had his eyes on a player in the 2nd round in 2021 that he knew was too early at 38, so he traded down, accumulated picks and still got his man. Then, he seemed to draft every faller from the previous round.  Ossai was supposed to be a 2nd rounder, Smith was supposed to be a day 2 pick,  Sample was a value pick, Hill had some early day 3 buzz etc.

I expect the Bengals to hard target one player in the opening frame and, if they think he'll last in a trade down, they will but they'll generally draft players that "should have been" drafted the previous round. You saw the same thing with Tee Higgins ADG, Adeniji, Bailey and Logan Wilson in 2020.

2019 was the only draft where they made significant reaches (Sample, Finley and Jordan) and I think they either learned their lesson from that year or they simply did not have enough time to fully construct their board because they had to wait until after the Super Bowl for Zac to officially be hired.

Great post CJD. Pretty much summed up my thoughts on Zac and Duke's drafting so far. I see learning going on as we go.

Rapidly I might add thank God. If Carman can pan out, that was a great trade back and I could see us doing something similar 
this Draft trading out of the 1st if some crazy good player isn't there for our depth needs. Honestly that is what our needs are at
this point, depth if Carman's back is all good. But if say a Zion Johnson is there to push Carman and we take him that makes me 
question the Carman pick a bit.
Reply/Quote
Tiger
I know that it would hurt some feelings on draft night to trade down but its a very realistic option that could help this team for years to come. I feel that even if this team gets an offer to trade down into the 60's its gold. Its a move that could bolster the roster. The middle talent is the value in this draft imo. Its a quarterback needy team that will give up the house to get that 5th year option on a QB. They could change the game with a move down certainly and really be sugical & sinister.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2022, 10:13 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
I know that it would hurt some feelings on draft night to trade down but its a very realistic option that could help this team for years to come. I feel that even if this team gets an offer to trade down into the 60's its gold. Its a move that could bolster the roster. The middle talent is the value in this draft imo. Its a quarterback needy team that will give up the house to get that 5th year option on a QB. They could change the game with a move down certainly and really be sugical & sinister.

Exactly what I did in the PFF mock I posted. It does turn out amazingly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2022, 10:13 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I like.

Sure would make Day 2 and 3 fun if we traded down and still got quality players for need and depth.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2022, 09:38 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I think that we've been spoiled under the ML era because we were able to figure out his draft tendencies over time.Now the one fixture is going after first round cornerbacks in the draft or in FA. Thats the one philosophy left from the ML era because it seems that Duke has carried the mantra on. What does Zac really like to do in the draft?  When we think draft and Zac I think Drew Sample to a fault. Don't you? 
Which leads me to believe that value picks could be.....Anyone.. I'm going to go out on a limbs and call Drew Sample a second round bust.

Sample was overdrafted for sure. What lead the think tank to pull the trigger on him in the 2nd round ? Who knows

Hopefully they've learned a lesson from it. I doubt Sample is retained after his rookie contract is up but they're not going to cut him, I'd guess.
Reply/Quote
I have it on good authority that Drew Sample is in fact - a bum.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 05:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Sample was overdrafted for sure. What lead the think tank to pull the trigger on him in the 2nd round ? Who knows

Hopefully they've learned a lesson from it. I doubt Sample is retained after his rookie contract is up but they're not going to cut him, I'd guess.

I remember from the interviews that they felt confident that other teams were highly targeting Drew.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2022, 09:38 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Which leads me to believe that value picks could be.....Anyone.. I'm going to go out on a limbs and call Drew Sample a second round bust.

I generally am of the mindset that a 2nd rounder should be your planned starter by no later than the start of their 3rd season.
Sample is entering his 4th season and still not going to be the starter unless an injury happens.

If anything, I'd say Sample was a reach.
Many had him projected as a Day 3 pick.
Rd 4-5 guy.
If he was picked there, no one would be batting an eye over him being the TE2.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 06:08 PM)Yogo Wrote: I remember from the interviews that they felt confident that other teams were highly targeting Drew.

Don't reach because others are (or might be) interested.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote