Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Zac Taylor Offense
3 points in the second half against the Ravens, 0 points in the second half against the Patriots. Need to be playing complete games when the playoffs start as you can't let playoff teams stick around and give them a chance. Heck, even against the Bucs they only scored 3 in the first half.

NEED to put together two full halves of quality play.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
So this is perfect time to let everyone know that not every random thought needs its own thread.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 04:54 AM)JumboTron Wrote: So this is perfect time to let everyone know that not every random thought needs its own thread.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=13266317]

Reply/Quote
Yeah, the trend is not great. It’s hard to win 8 in a row and look good every week. Hopefully they can refocus this week and come out with their hair on fire and stay on fire.
Reply/Quote
My God
Reply/Quote
I'm blaming the players more on this one. Chase fumbles in Foxboro, Burrow off target yesterday numerous times (said he played awful in his presser), and when he was on target, they dropped em. It's like they went on cruise control both games.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well a big part of it is that we let off the gas imo intentionally against the Ravens. He knew we are going to play them next week so he'll give them less film
Reply/Quote
It feels like they get complacent after they get up by a couple touchdowns. They do not get the urgency to score again until they start to get within 10 points or a touchdown then we step back on the gas.

We have been leaving a lot of points out on the field with overthrows or dropped balls and stalled drives.

I really do not like passes behind the line of scrimmage at least go 5 to 10 yards downfield our line is protecting good enough to do this.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 08:27 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'm blaming the players more on this one. Chase fumbles in Foxboro, Burrow off target yesterday numerous times (said he played awful in his presser), and when he was on target, they dropped em. It's like they went on cruise control both games.

Yep, I haven't dove into the stats but it sure seemed he had one of his worst games of the season accuracy wise. And I think there's a bit of truth to the fact they were playing a vanilla O most of the 2nd half because they knew they'd be facing them again next week.

Having said all of that I agree with the OP. The offense has to turn it back on.
Reply/Quote
With the inside 3 o-line spots on lockdown with Volson Karras and Cappa next year. Do we let our 2nd round pick Carmen fight for a starting tackle spot next year at LT or RT?

Would be a waste to let him be buried on depth chart if he could help improve us at either tackle spot.

I like Adeniji at RT but need to see how the playoffs go this year.

I think Williams needs upgraded or to improve his play greatly. Not real happy with the LT spot.

We seen an improvement with Adeniji at RT this year so far maybe we could see the same improvement with Carmen at the spot he played in college LT. Last year the line was a nightmare so a rookie struggling was not a big surprise at a new spot.
Reply/Quote
It doesn’t necessarily bother me when the Cincinnati offense goes vanilla to protect a lead or not to show an upcoming opponent our hand but when the defense has to save the game, that’s too much for me to handle.
Reply/Quote
Dude we were obviously running our coast offense

For gods sake we ran that shitty Chase screen 3 times. We didn’t call barely any slants. We were obviously holding back. That 4th down call was BAD.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 09:09 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, I haven't dove into the stats but it sure seemed he had one of his worst games of the season accuracy wise. And I think there's a bit of truth to the fact they were playing a vanilla O most of the 2nd half because they knew they'd be facing them again next week.

Having said all of that I agree with the OP. The offense has to turn it back on.

He single handedly took 21 points off the board and almost 28

Missed deep balls to Tee and Chase two times.

If Chase doesn’t make that amazing Randy Moss catch that’s 28 points he took away by bad throws
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I think it's worth noting that Joe Burrow missed a wide open touchdown pass to Higgins, a wide open pass to Irwin in the first half and at least 1 or 2 other wide open passes yesterday. In addition, Chase dropped a touchdown in the end zone (right before Roquan Smith intentionally ran into him with no flag) and Higgins dropped an easy deep ball that fell right into his hands.

The offense struggled at times yesterday, but it was mostly due to missed plays rather than ineffectiveness in play calling or the offense as called by Zac.

There is also the factor of running the clock when you're up 24-7. Their last two drives they didn't even attempt a pass because they were just spending 3 runs to burn clock and punting.

Looking at their second half possessions, they had 8, 2 were purely to run clock, 1 was stolen from them on an uncalled facemask penalty, 1 ended because of a silly 4th down call (instead of just doing the ***** QB Sneak, which works 95% of the time), 1 was blown up by an inopportune sack, 1 was the aforementioned Higgins drop (which also resulted in the Cappa injury), the field goal was a play as a result of the aforementioned drop TD by Chase and then the opening drive was just a dud of a drive.

They have a lot to clean up, but the plays are there to be made. The players just gotta make them.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 09:38 AM)Housh Wrote: He single handedly took 21 points off the board and almost 28

Missed deep balls to Tee and Chase two times.

If Chase doesn’t make that amazing Randy Moss catch that’s 28 points he took away by bad throws

On one of those potential Tee TDs it looked like it was a perfect throw and Tee just didn't track it at all.

It's not that I don't agree with your general point that Burrow struggled big time, but Tee was not good and did him no favors either. I understand that Tee had a lot of things going on mentally, but he didn't show up in the slightest.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 04:47 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 3 points in the second half against the Ravens, 0 points in the second half against the Patriots. Need to be playing complete games when the playoffs start as you can't let playoff teams stick around and give them a chance. Heck, even against the Bucs they only scored 3 in the first half.

NEED to put together two full halves of quality play.

Last year we dominated teams in the second half. We are fine. There’s plenty of offense held back
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
All NFL teams have “ down “ games. Most teams lose when they are off.

Isn’t great that we finally have a great team that knows how to win when they are having an off game.
Reply/Quote
Obviously defensive turnovers/scores are part of the game, but it's worth considering that without those turnovers yesterday we very well could have lost. The offense did next to nothing on its own.

I'd like to think they kept the scheme as vanilla as possible in order to keep the Ravens in the dark for next week, but the fact remains that they were still playing to win and what we saw was not ideal in that regard. Burrow's performance was troubling, the pass plays to the LOS were frustrating, and now we're moving forward into the post-season with the entire right side of our offensive line being backups. Just a very irritating showing yesterday, and now I'm not sure what to expect on Sunday night. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
The amount of output is related to the situation. If you are up by two scores then you aren't going to be trying to get more points as aggressively.

There can be a danger associated with "taking your foot off the gas" but we shouldn't ignore the context of the game.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 09:42 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think it's worth noting that Joe Burrow missed a wide open touchdown pass to Higgins, a wide open pass to Irwin in the first half and at least 1 or 2 other wide open passes yesterday. In addition, Chase dropped a touchdown in the end zone (right before Roquan Smith intentionally ran into him with no flag) and Higgins dropped an easy deep ball that fell right into his hands.

The offense struggled at times yesterday, but it was mostly due to missed plays rather than ineffectiveness in play calling or the offense as called by Zac.

There is also the factor of running the clock when you're up 24-7. Their last two drives they didn't even attempt a pass because they were just spending 3 runs to burn clock and punting.

Looking at their second half possessions, they had 8, 2 were purely to run clock, 1 was stolen from them on an uncalled facemask penalty, 1 ended because of a silly 4th down call (instead of just doing the ***** QB Sneak, which works 95% of the time), 1 was blown up by an inopportune sack, 1 was the aforementioned Higgins drop (which also resulted in the Cappa injury), the field goal was a play as a result of the aforementioned drop TD by Chase and then the opening drive was just a dud of a drive.

They have a lot to clean up, but the plays are there to be made. The players just gotta make them.

I would guess it was due to the Monday night game short week to prepare since almost everyone seemed to be affected on offense. I guess defense was not affected so much in the same sense that the defense is always ahead of the offense after the offseason and camp starts up. It takes offense a lil bit longer then defense to get going so hopefully next week everything is bad to normal.
Reply/Quote