Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor=Tony Dungy
Hear me our Who Dey Nation:
Personally I am lukewarm on Zac Taylor, I however cannot minimize the job that he has done with this franchise. He rebuilt a roster, he brought new energy and new expectations and the players have bought in. The players love him and want to play for him, all of that is evident.
BUT, I wonder is Zac Taylor the guy to take this team to the level of perennial contender? The recent in-game decisions warrant criticism and I do not anticipate him being fired at this moment.
I wonder if the team should consider making a change at season's end if the offense continues to struggle. I would compare it to the Tony Dungy situation when he was in Tampa Bay. ALBEIT ZAC TAYLOR HAS NOT HAD THE PLAYOFF APPEARANCES AND SUCCESS that Dungy had in Tampa Bay. I remember Warren Sapp stating in an interview that loved Coach Dungy for what did for him and the team, but he wasn't what the team needed anymore. Enter Jon Gruden (sighs amid recent reports), Sapp said that Gruden challenged the team on a different level and got more out of them than Coach Dungy. As a result, the won the Super Bowl.
So my question to Who Dey Nation, is Zac Taylor going to have to get Dungy'd for the team to reach higher heights?
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 08:05 PM)Knightmare on Elm Street Wrote: Hear me our Who Dey Nation:
Personally I am lukewarm on Zac Taylor, I however cannot minimize the job that he has done with this franchise. He rebuilt a roster, he brought new energy and new expectations and the players have bought in. The players love him and want to play for him, all of that is evident.
BUT, I wonder is Zac Taylor the guy to take this team to the level of perennial contender? The recent in-game decisions warrant criticism and I do not anticipate him being fired at this moment.
I wonder if the team should consider making a change at season's end if the offense continues to struggle. I would compare it to the Tony Dungy situation when he was in Tampa Bay. ALBEIT ZAC TAYLOR HAS NOT HAD THE PLAYOFF APPEARANCES AND SUCCESS that Dungy had in Tampa Bay. I remember Warren Sapp stating in an interview that loved Coach Dungy for what did for him and the team, but he wasn't what the team needed anymore. Enter Jon Gruden (sighs amid recent reports), Sapp said that Gruden challenged the team on a different level and got more out of them than Coach Dungy. As a result, the won the Super Bowl.
So my question to Who Dey Nation, is Zac Taylor going to have to get Dungy'd for the team to reach higher heights?

Dungy only had one losing season with the Bucs (his first season) before Gruden took over.
Taylor is nowhere close to being able to build a team like Dungy was.
If you can't get the team to a winning record, I don't know how much of a culture you really built.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
LOL! 

That's like saying that Andy Dalton = Russell Wilson. No, actually it's far more absurd than that. It'd be like saying that Hue Jackson = Bill Walsh. 
Reply/Quote
Will someone have to take over this team for it to reach its true potential? Yes I can agree with that… but not because Zac is Tony Dungy lol.

I thought this was going to be a push for Gruden….
Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor is posting in Jungle Noise... Awesome.

Tough loss this week coach.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Sapp was a punk at heart and could relate better to Gruden than the straight arrow Dungy.  But obviously Dungy was the better coach.

If Gruden was so much better as a coach then he would not have sucked so bad the the rest of the time in Tampa once he did  not have a team minted by Dungy.  After Gruden won the Super Bowl his first season at Tampa he had a losing record (45-51) only made the playoffs twice in 6 years, and never won another post season game.  Dungy was 54-42 at Tampa, made the playoffs 4 times in 6 years, and only won one less postseason game than Gruden (2 to 3).  

Dungy took over a Tampa franchise worse than the Bengals ever were (13 straight years under .500) and won a playoff game in his second season.  Dungy was 54-42 at Tampa, made the playoffs 4 times in 6 years, and only won two playoff games.  

Gruden took over a team that had made the playoffs three years in a row; won a Super Bowl; and then ran it into the ground.  After Gruden won the Super Bowl he had a losing record (45-51) only made the playoffs twice in 6 years, and never won another post season game.

With the Raiders Gruden barely has a winning record 60-57, and has only made the playoffs twice in 8 years.  In 14 full seasons as an NFL head coach he only had a winning record 6 times.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 08:22 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: LOL! 

It'd be like saying that Hue Jackson = Bill Walsh. 

[Image: el-risitas-during-an-interview-at-late-n...=600?w=650]

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 08:22 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: That's like saying that Andy Dalton = Russell Wilson. 

#1 and #2 in games started by quarterbacks drafted after the first round over the last 15 years.

Russ only has 2 more starts than Andy, so based on this they are pretty much equal.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 09:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: #1 and #2 in games started by quarterbacks drafted after the first round over the last 15 years.

Russ only has 2 more starts than Andy, so based on this they are pretty much equal.

You are ridiculous.... Downright ridiculous.... No one, and I mean no one is buying this...
Reply/Quote
Let me clarify, the title may have been misleading. I am simply saying maybe Zac Taylor needs to leave to get this team over the hump and to reach another level. The comparison of Taylor and Dungy was NOT resumes, but of perception of circumstances. I KNOW Zac Taylor does not have the level of success that Tony Dungy had in Tampa Bay. And regardless of how you feel about Gruden, he did coach that Tampa Bay team to a Super Bowl victory. What happened after that season is well documented. Hope this clarifies my original intent of this thread.....
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 10:55 PM)Knightmare on Elm Street Wrote: Let me clarify, the title may have been misleading. I am simply saying maybe Zac Taylor needs to leave to get this team over the hump and to reach another level. The comparison of Taylor and Dungy was NOT resumes, but of perception of circumstances. I KNOW Zac Taylor does not have the level of success that Tony Dungy had in Tampa Bay. And regardless of how you feel about Gruden, he did coach that Tampa Bay team to a Super Bowl victory. What happened after that season is well documented. Hope this clarifies my original intent of this thread.....

Apparently, no good coach wants to coach this trainwreck, otherwise, we'd already have one.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Yeah, I'm going to have to ask you to log off.
Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor = Tony Dumpy
Zac Taylor = Tony Toni Tone, the mediocre 90s R&B group
Zac Taylor = Tony Danza after "Who's the Boss" ended
Zac Taylor = Tony's frozen pizza
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 09:37 PM)Tony Wrote: You are ridiculous.... Downright ridiculous.... No one, and I mean no one is buying this...

Read it again.

Everything I say is technically true.

Based on number of starts they are almost identical.

**EDIT**  Maybe most of you do not remember that I have often said Russ is having a Hall of Fame career and does not get enough mention as one of the greatest QBs of all time.  4th highest career passer rating in NFL history.  Averaged 11 regular season wins so far in his career (9 full seasons).  9 post season wins. Super Bowl Champion.  One of only 3 QBs to pass for 4000 yds and rush for 500 yds in the same season and the only one to do it more than once ('15, '20).  Just missed doing it a third time in '17 when he had 3983 passing yards.  Total of four 4000+ yd passing seasons, four 500+ yd rushing seasons (including 894 in '14 Super Bowl season), and five 30 passing td seasons (including 40 last year).
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 11:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Read it again.

Everything I say is technically true.

Based on number of starts they are almost identical.

In what world do we use number of starts to equate how good someone is? Marvin Lewis coached the same amount of games as Bill Belichick between 2003 to 2018 but no one on earth thinks they're in the same category. 

That was a really dumb post to try to defend Dalton and we both know you're smarter then that Fred. 

As to the OP...I don't think more then 5 people on this forum think ZT will be the one to lead us to a playoff or superbowl win. As has been stated almost every week and in most threads for the past 2.5 years. So I don't get why we needed another thread saying the same thing with a poor premise.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 08:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Dungy only had one losing season with the Bucs (his first season) before Gruden took over.
Taylor is nowhere close to being able to build a team like Dungy was.
If you can't get the team to a winning record, I don't know how much of a culture you really built.

Meh....Wyche drafted Sapp, Lynch, and Brooks....what 3 players you remember best from that era?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 12:09 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Meh....Wyche drafted Sapp, Lynch, and Brooks....what 3 players you remember best from that era?

Didn't he also draft Dilfer?

Yeah I know Dilfer wasn't great, but he was serviceable and stabilized the QB position for them at the beginning of that string of playoff appearances with Dungy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Well, since we're veering into tenure territory Mike Brown is the second oldest team owner in the NFL behind Halas's granddaughter (Bears).. He hasn't won a thing other than the team ownership lottery by virtue of a father who did..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 08:59 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: el-risitas-during-an-interview-at-late-n...=600?w=650]

That video will never not make me laugh.

Reply/Quote
Taylor is seeming like LeBeau's long lost grandson at this point. And yes I may be totally in the minority in that thinking I know.

Obviously hope he gets it together but some of his decision making does leave a lot to be desired at times.

[Image: UahsiIk.jpeg]
Reply/Quote