Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor Vs. Expansion Teams
I've seen quite a few people say that Zac has had little to work with, that he had no chance last season, that last year was an "evaluation year", etc.

Now, there's a lot of people that don't buy into any or this.  They realize he inherited a not completely terrible 6 win team, that he inherited a team with some talent, and that, at least by now, he should be showing marked improvement.

Just to appease those in the former group, I figured we might compare him to some expansion coaches.  Coaches that inherited literally nothing, and had their initial rosters made up of castoffs, guys on the street, and rookies.

Here's a list of the 4 most recent expansion teams, with their records for years 1 and 2:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carolina Panthers

1995 - 7-9
1996 - 12-4

Jacksonville Jaguars

1995 - 4-12
1996 - 9-7

Clevand Browns

1999 - 2-14
2000 - 3-13

Houston Texans

2002 - 4-12
2003 - 5-11

Average Win Record

Year 1 - 4.25 Wins
Year 2 - 7.25 Wins
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just some food for thought.  The next time you think maybe he's been given so little to work with you might want to consider examples that we're given a whole lot less.  And you may want to rethink what an actual evaluation year looks like.

Am I crazy, or should our coach be expected to outpace expansion level performance? And would it not be reasonable to think that, if he can't even match it, then maybe he's just an awful coach?
Reply/Quote
Look what Kevin Stefanski has done with Cleveland..off to a 4-1 start if they hold on here with a minute to go.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 08:28 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Look what Kevin Stefanski has done with Cleveland..off to a 4-1 start if they hold on here with a minute to go.

Oof.

That would make every team in the AFCN other than the Bengals have at least 4 wins after 5 weeks.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 08:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Oof.

That would make every team in the AFCN other than the Bengals have at least 4 wins after 5 weeks.

It’s a tough division.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 08:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: It’s a tough division.

Bengals are the new bottom dwellers
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 08:34 PM)Trademark Wrote: Bengals are the new bottom dwellers

Appreciate where we are and where we will go. Rock bottom is a great thing sometimes. Hellova lot better than a stagnant yr over yr team. This means they are forced to make it better.

We lost to the damn Ravens for Gods sake. I had hopes, but I already mentally prepared for the loss. Good lawd!

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 08:34 PM)Trademark Wrote: Bengals are the new bottom dwellers

3rd straight year.  Nothing NEW about that...
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis had just as bad, if not worse, team in 2018 and the team still ended up with 6 wins.

Then again, maybe Marvin would be as bad if he was trying to call offensive plays along with being HC Hilarious
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 08:41 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: 3rd straight year.  Nothing NEW about that...

Likely going to end up with a 5th straight season under .500.
The Bengals haven't had that since the lost decade.

Not sure how many fans are going to be willing to stick it out through another decade like that.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 08:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Appreciate where we are and where we will go. Rock bottom is a great thing sometimes. Hellova lot better than a stagnant yr over yr team. This means they are forced to make it better.

We lost to the damn Ravens for Gods sake. I had hopes, but I already mentally prepared for the loss. Good lawd!

I did too, but not by 4 scores.

I was prepared only for losing by 2 TDs or less.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 08:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I did too, but not by 4 scores.

I was prepared only for losing by 2 TDs or less.

Embarrassing losses can be a good thing.

Reply/Quote
First time poster (I think, we’ll see after I post this), 10+ year lurker....
That is embarrassing. This game in particular forced me to break my silence. The ENTIRE team outside of the rookies looked asleep at the wheel. This is not a professional organization and they need to push the ‘detonate’ button. Unreal.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:15 PM)ShhhPieceful Wrote: First time poster (I think, we’ll see after I post this), 10+ year lurker....
That is embarrassing. This game in particular forced me to break my silence. The ENTIRE team outside of the rookies looked asleep at the wheel. This is not a professional organization and they need to push the ‘detonate’ button. Unreal.

Welcome aboard!
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are the new old Browns
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:15 PM)ShhhPieceful Wrote: First time poster (I think, we’ll see after I post this), 10+ year lurker....

I call BS. If you didn’t respond after the 2015 implosion, you ain’t been lurking too long. But that’s cool I guess. 

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Welcome aboard!

Thanks! You guys have a solid forum here I look forward to finally jumping into the mix. Who Dey 4 life
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I call BS. If you didn’t respond after the 2015 implosion, you ain’t been lurking too long. But that’s cool I guess. 

Hahah no trust me I’ve been lurking since the Official Board back in 2009 and hell, I think I even may have even found myself on there a few times back in 2005.
The night of that last playoff game I was too busy getting rained on my entire walk home to post anything as God continued to punish me that night
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:30 PM)ShhhPieceful Wrote: Hahah no trust me I’ve been lurking since the Official Board back in 2009 and hell, I think I even may have even found myself on there a few times back in 2005.
The night of that last playoff game I was too busy getting rained on my entire walk home to post anything as God continued to punish me that night

Your punishment will end.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:33 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Your punishment will end.

I sure hope so! Been watching this team since the mid 90’s with my dad and we won’t ever give up. A playoff win would be nice as I haven’t seen one since I was all of one year old
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:11 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Embarrassing losses can be a good thing.

Possibly.
I assume you're referring to finally making coaching changes, of which I would agree.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote