Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Zac Taylor confidence level and expectations
(09-07-2021, 12:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, look at the Browns...they had that bounty gate guy look better than Hue and then they got rid of him for Fatty Kitchens and then did a complete reboot a year later.  Hell, I wouldn't put it past ZT to have such lousy underlings that we have to keep him for fear of trying to promote one of them to HC.

Sweet Lou as our HC?  Does our OC even do anything?  Pollack and Simmons are the coaches who aren't bad, but they probably aren't HC material.  Oy, it'd be going from bad to worse if we get rid of ZT mid season if that's the case. 

I wouldn’t dump Zac mid season if for no other reason than the players like him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 11:18 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I guess I can see it both ways...if ZT can get this team to 9 wins that'd be a great time to say "We have a franchise QB and a talented roster....who wants to coach here?"

There is a good chance ZT's greatest contribution to the Bengals was going 2-14 and getting Burrow...the guy has probably alrready made his most impactful contribution, here.  

Benching Dalton as a de facto tank was absolute genius.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 09:47 AM)bengalfan7 Wrote: What do you think is the win level that would convince you he's gonna be worth keeping around ? I'm thinking 9

9 should do it, unless four of them are in December.  The dead cat bounce is real and I ain't buying it.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 11:33 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Would I give him an extension even with a 9-7 season? The answer is NO.

There is no 9-7 season, this year.  So it's gonna be...

9-7-1
9-8 or
10-7

Wink
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 12:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, look at the Browns...they had that bounty gate guy look better than Hue and then they got rid of him for Fatty Kitchens and then did a complete reboot a year later.  Hell, I wouldn't put it past ZT to have such lousy underlings that we have to keep him for fear of trying to promote one of them to HC.

Sweet Lou as our HC?  Does our OC even do anything?  Pollack and Simmons are the coaches who aren't bad, but they probably aren't HC material.  Oy, it'd be going from bad to worse if we get rid of ZT mid season if that's the case. 

To me the problem is that you can rarely evaluate a interim head coach because he can only change so much mid-season.  I just don't think it would be fair to judge a guy like Simmons on how well he does with Zac's players, assistants, and schemes.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To me the problem is that you can rarely evaluate a interim head coach because he can only change so much mid-season.  I just don't think it would be fair to judge a guy like Simmons on how well he does with Zac's players, assistants, and schemes.

I hear ya, I just have a feeling we're going to be trying to evaluate ZT by extrapolating midseason changes, too.  He will have been here 3 years but we're going to attempt to judge him as a HC based on how things went when our team "got it together" after the bye, or something.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To me the problem is that you can rarely evaluate a interim head coach because he can only change so much mid-season.  I just don't think it would be fair to judge a guy like Simmons on how well he does with Zac's players, assistants, and schemes.

only thing i worry about if he becomes Interim HC is if we don't sign him as HC we will probably lose him at that point
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 12:20 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I wouldn’t dump Zac mid season if for no other reason than the players like him.

but why waste another half a season on something you know is bad
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 11:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not saying automatically bring him back if he wins 9, but if he has a winning record then you have to take a close look at how the team played to make the decision.  If he struggled to beat 9 bad teams and got blown out in the losses then he would have to go.  But if the team gets destroyed by injuries like they did last year and he wins 9 I would probably bring him back.

If he's back, a maximum of 2 yrs. seems fair, kinda like Marvin did.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 12:34 PM)Tomkat Wrote: There is no 9-7 season, this year.  So it's gonna be...

9-7-1
9-8 or
10-7

Wink

Thanks, I was aiming at the winning record, yep, the 9-8 would do.
Reply/Quote
The other factor here is who is out there in the coaching world that you would replace Zac with?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 01:52 PM)EatonFan Wrote: The other factor here is who is out there in the coaching world that you would replace Zac with?

There are plenty out there, from assistants to coordinators to coaches who have been out a year or so. Bienemy comes up a lot, wouldn’t be a bad choice.
Reply/Quote
He needs to make the playoffs as a minimum for me, otherwise time to move on.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 01:52 PM)EatonFan Wrote: The other factor here is who is out there in the coaching world that you would replace Zac with?

Too early to talk about this.  There are new names that pop up every year.

When you are replacing a good coach that you think "can't get you over the hump" like Marvin then you need to be sure you have an upgrade.  But when you have a guy like Zac who just can't win then it is okay to go with an unproven prospect because it can't get worse.
Reply/Quote

I'm pretty positive the only acceptable answer now is Joe Brady. Just to complete the transformation of the team into LSU that they seem determined to make.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

I’ll be on cloud 9 if they bring in Bieniemy. It should have been Bieniemy after 2018 but whatever. There’s a great chance to get him after this season and he can get to work with Joe Burrow (all thanks to Zac Taylor sucking hardcore in 2019).

Wouldn’t hate Joe Brady either, but… honestly I’m kind of sick of the team trying to recreate the 2019 LSU Tiger magic at the pro level.
Reply/Quote
The problem is that I truly don't think this team has the talent to win more than 4 games. They will be realistically favored in maybe 2-3 games this year.

The schedule and roster just aren't set up for a coach to have a ton of success. Because of that, I'm considering 7 or more wins a successful year. Anything less than 7 then I'm out on ZT.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 10:06 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's the thing that matters to me as well. The eye test for lack of better way to put it ? Be in games, get off the field on those 3rd and longs. Score TD's in the redzone. Stop getting gashed so much and often vs. the run, look like you belong.

They've "been in games" his first two seasons though, and he continues to lose. At some point you have to start winning. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 02:50 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I’ll be on cloud 9 if they bring in Bieniemy. It should have been Bieniemy after 2018 but whatever. There’s a great chance to get him after this season and he can get to work with Joe Burrow (all thanks to Zac Taylor sucking hardcore in 2019).

Wouldn’t hate Joe Brady either, but… honestly I’m kind of sick of the team trying to recreate the 2019 LSU Tiger magic at the pro level.

Should have grabbed Arthur Smith this offseason before the Falcons did.

They could still grab Nathaniel Hackett from the Packers. That guy had a Blake Bortles QB'd offense go to the AFC Championship. He's also had great rushing offenses for multiple teams. He also has Aaron Rodgers playing better than he's ever been.

Shane Steichen would be an interesting pick if he repeats this year with Hurts/Minshew with what he did last year with Herbert.

Anthony Lynn might be a solid choice as well. Still surprised he got fired from San Diego.

- - - - -
I guess my answer to the OP is I have no confidence in Zac or either of his Coordinators, and my expectations are to suck again. 6-11, probably.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 02:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm pretty positive the only acceptable answer now is Joe Brady. Just to complete the transformation of the team into LSU that they seem determined to make.

You mean the same way we had to have coaches from Georgia when we had AJ Green, Robert Geathers, Clint Boling, Dennis Roland, Shawn Williams, and Geno Atkins all playing for us?
Reply/Quote