Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor honeymoon is over
(09-15-2019, 06:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: So, you're saying you wouldn't have been reminding us of Wyche's record at Indiana U every 5 minutes?  Ninja

Dave Shula was also inexperienced. How did that work out?

And Wyche had Paul Brown who was a great coach around AND was actually a HC at Indiana.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:43 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I can't help wonder what many in the current fanbase would've said about Sam Wyche in his rookie season - having started 0-5 after having a terrible record in one season as a college coach, and having never been a coordinator?

It seems like 2 games might be a little premature in terms writing Taylor off.  [Image: m0952.gif]

I'd wager the same thing I feel about ZT...gee, I hope this new guy has an experienced set of coordinators and a front office that will put him in a position to succeed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:50 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Everyone thought the removal of Lewis was the answer.

This Bengal dream death bed journey started when Paul Brown chose Tiger Johnson over Bill Walsh to succeed him as HC, and finally was put to rest when PB died!

Goodnight Irene!

6-10 will be a stretch!

It's a team that's only won 5 playoff games in it's entire 51 year existence...yet most fans think this is the year!
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:24 PM)Synric Wrote: The Curse of Big Whit.

But we got to keep Dre Kirkpatrick. Clearly we made the best choice. Ninja 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd wager the same thing I feel about ZT...gee, I hope this new guy has an experienced set of coordinators and a front office that will put him in a position to succeed.

But he didn't. It was LeBeau's first shot at DC, and Coslet wouldn't become the OC until the following year, his first shot. It takes time to see how these things develop and play out.

All I'm saying is it seems silly to make any types of difinitive statements after 2 games.
Reply/Quote
You people are insufferable.

A blowout loss and the sky is falling? Jesus.
Reply/Quote
Wow 2 games in and you've given up. Well okay then.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 07:03 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: You people are insufferable.

A blowout loss and the sky is falling? Jesus.

Psst.  ...  The sky has been falling since 1991.

It's just falling quicker this year as opposed to being 8-0.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Dave Shula was also inexperienced. How did that work out?

And Wyche had Paul Brown who was a great coach around AND was actually a HC at Indiana.

Yep, Taylor could wind up worse than Shula, better than Wyche, or somewhere in between. No one knows how good or bad he'll be yet, especially after 2 games into his head coaching career. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 07:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: But he didn't. It was LeBeau's first shot at DC, and Coslet wouldn't become the OC until the following year, his first shot. It takes time to see how these things develop and play out.

Good point, but we've only had 4 HCs since 1984 and all of them either stunk or were Marvin.  You have to admit it's hard to be optimistic "because 1984" when our past 27 years were filled with HC's who followed-up bad starts with bad middles and bad endings.  

So yeah, Wyche was better than his 0-5 start would indicate, but we would have been right to conclude Shula, Coslet, and LeBeau weren't going to shake their bad starts.

Wyche was here during the Paul Brown era...the Mike Brown era is hard on the hopeful.  I don't put too much blame on the HCs, they're hamstrung by the organization and all, but ZT seems more Dave Shula than Sam Wyche so far.  Well, maybe that is cruel...Shula clearly had no business even being near an NFL team.

(09-15-2019, 07:07 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yep, Taylor could wind up worse than Shula, better than Wyche, or somewhere in between. No one knows how good or bad he'll be yet, especially after 2 games into his head coaching career. Mellow

I hear ya, that's why I wasn't one of those "ZT replacing Marvin is worth another 2-3 wins right there" people.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 07:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Good point, but we've only had 4 HCs since 1984 and all of them either stunk or were Marvin.  You have to admit it's hard to be optimistic "because 1984" when our past 27 years were filled with HC's who followed-up bad starts with bad middles and bad endings.  

So yeah, Wyche was better than his 0-5 start would indicate, but we would have been right to conclude Shula, Coslet, and LeBeau weren't going to shake their bad starts.

Wyche was here during the Paul Brown era...the Mike Brown era is hard on the hopeful.  I don't put too much blame on the HCs, they're hamstrung by the organization and all, but ZT seems more Dave Shula than Sam Wyche so far.  Well, maybe that is cruel...Shula clearly had no business even being near an NFL team.

I hear ya, that's why I wasn't one of those "ZT replacing Marvin is worth another 2-3 wins right there" people.

I get that brother, and I'm not saying anyone should be optimistic, pessimistic, or any other istic...just that I think it's crazy to try and define any head coach after 2 games, whether they have a great first couple of games or lousy ones. Jerry
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Really the whole offensive line is bad.

When you can't run the ball at all...it's not a good line.

Teams will scheme to attack us.

The running game was abysmal in preseason and continues to be. Part of that reason is that the Bengals have bad OL. Another part is they have some of their better OL injured, making it worse.

As for defense, their DL was really good against SEA but was not good against SF. LBs are a liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It's going to be a long 16 years on the board.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 07:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I get that brother, and I'm not saying anyone should be optimistic, pessimistic, or any other istic...just that I think it's crazy to try and define any head coach after 2 games, whether they have a great first couple of games or lousy ones. Jerry

True, but I think most of us know our posts on a message board are more fan banter than actual set in stone predictions.  The expectations of ZT went from one side of the scale to another...it's sort of like the french revolution, or something.  It's similar to how the Browns fans acted after going into week 1 with sky high expectations.  They lost as badly as any other week in Browns football, but that one had them angry at their own prior optimism.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:43 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I can't help wonder what many in the current fanbase would've said about Sam Wyche in his rookie season - having started 0-5 after having a terrible record in one season as a college coach, and having never been a coordinator?

It seems like 2 games might be a little premature in terms writing Taylor off.  [Image: m0952.gif]

I would agree with this, but damn, today was ugly
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 07:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: True, but I think most of us know our posts on a message board are more fan banter than actual set in stone predictions.  The expectations of ZT went from one side of the scale to another...it's sort of like the french revolution, or something.  It's similar to how the Browns fans acted after going into week 1 with sky high expectations.  They lost as badly as any other week in Browns football, but that one had them angry at their own prior optimism.

I rely on a steady diet of Bud Light and various liquors to level out those emotional roller coasters rides. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Zac will be a winning coach. Probably for someone like Miami or the Patriots, but he’ll be a winner.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 07:23 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I would agree with this, but damn, today was ugly

Today was ugly, no doubt...ugly as hell.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:19 PM)Synric Wrote: It really sucks that the Bengals are on their 4th string Left Tackle and it's only week 2.

Counting on Glenn and Smith was really stupid to be fair. Neither have played a full season in a long time. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 07:07 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yep, Taylor could wind up worse than Shula, better than Wyche, or somewhere in between. No one knows how good or bad he'll be yet, especially after 2 games into his head coaching career. Mellow

Indeed. Also note: I didn't create this thread. I'm just participating in it like you are.

But, I do think the honeymoon is over. Not saying ZT needs fired, but this loss in this fashion ends the romantic notion that he was going to come in and turn us into a contender over night.

Honestly, even IF McVay coached this team, I don't know if he could win under Bengals Management. When McVay took over the Rams, they upgraded a few positions through free agency.

Imagine IF we added a good LB and an offensive lineman that could play like Saffold. Plus, Saffold knew the Rams system.
Reply/Quote